• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought some supposedly "mint set coins" in a Wayte Raymond folder

37 posts in this topic

... a couple of months ago. These are my coins, and not the property of my employer :) . The images are quick-and-dirty, but I think the white-balance is accurate, and the colors really are just about as vibrant on the coins as depicted. That is to say, some of the coins are REALLY vibrant, with vivid cyan and cobalt-blue prominent on several.

I don't know of any way to prove what the true origin of these really is, but I can state that to a coin, in-hand, all are really nice pieces. But as usual, my question regards what you think of the toning.... AT? NT? MA? does it matter?

I paid real "retail" money for the coins and the folder (which is very well worn and partially damaged), but nothing remotely close to moon money. The price asked was reasonable, yet the seller still let me talk him down about 5%. Comments welcome, and enjoy!

DSC_5222.JPG

DSC_5223.JPG

DSC_5224.JPG

DSC_5225.JPG

DSC_5226.JPG

DSC_5227.JPG

DSC_5228.JPG

DSC_5229.JPG

DSC_5230.JPG

DSC_5231.JPG

DSC_5232.JPG

I think many people have different definitions of 'mint set' than I do - many aftermarket year sets, go by that name. If the coins came from a US Mint set, you only got half of the coins - with the exception of the 1961-D row.

The coins look like they have 30+ years of toning from that album and I consider them MA, although unless you put them into album, you have no way of knowing.

You may have to harvest those coins out of the album, because in another 30 years, they may be close to black. The cents have a tendency to grow black spots and the nickels to lose their luster.

I love those Wayte Raymond / Meghrig album pages.

Absolutely stunning. Any FBLs in there?

lol you know what? I honestly didn't look for any!

Incidentally, when I say I paid "retail", I should clarify that I paid "retail" for the coins just as normal BU coins, not "mint sets".

Thanks for the great comments so far and I look forward to more, pro and con!

Absolutely stunning. Any FBLs in there?

lol you know what? I honestly didn't look for any!

Incidentally, when I say I paid "retail", I should clarify that I paid "retail" for the coins just as normal BU coins, not "mint sets".

Thanks for the great comments so far and I look forward to more, pro and con!

They all look naturally toned to me, and many of them will command a premium for the toning alone. If you decided to sell these, I think you could make a decent premium for your investment. The coins are neat to look at regardless!

That's a great looking set of coins. Lots of beautiful natural tone and the context to prove it.

I like them!

(thumbs u

They all look Album Toned not Mint Set toned and the majority look to be MA.

Those are keepers...and don't let anyone goad you into sending those to a TPG. They are perfect where they are!

jom

James----FWIW they look "legit" to me. Once you have seen such coins, you don't need anyone else to tell you what they should look like----YOU KNOW.

I Congratulate you on the purchase and my hope would be that you would keep them together. Breaking them up would be SUCH A SHAME. Bob [supertooth]

James those are beautiful brother!

question for you, are you going to keep them in the album or remove them to stop the toning process?

FWIW I think seeing them in that album like that adds to the display.

Wow, THANKS for all the great comments!!

My next question is as follows... a bit of a conundrum, and some of you have already touched on this. I was thinking that I should remove the coins to inert holders, and put new pieces in their place! That way, in another 30 years, I could be 75 more toned coins closer to, uh, I dunno a larger date run lol !

In other words, with five pages available, what if I replaced them with bright, white UNCs of 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947 and 1946 (and then waited a long time to post a thread update)?