• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought some supposedly "mint set coins" in a Wayte Raymond folder

37 posts in this topic

I think that I would remove them, in any event, since they seemed to have reached their peak or apex of toning.

Any further chemical interaction by those pages could cause them to become too dark. They look beautiful right now but I certainly don't think that they should tone anymore. IMHO.

At the stage they are, most of the sulphur is likely out of the pages, but I would still remove them before they got darker and not risk it.

Nothing wrong with putting in nice new white/untoned.....they are for your collection anyway.

In other words, with five pages available, what if I replaced them with bright, white UNCs of 1950, 1949, 1948, 1947 and 1946 (and then waited a long time to post a thread update)?

I like the old coins and would remove them immediately to prevent them from toning any further. With regards to replacing them with common uncirculated, bright white coins, why not? If the toning is inferior or too dark, you can sell them at bullion (what these pieces are worth in lower MS grades) or you could dip them and flip them.

Most of the reactive chemicals have probably already leeched out of those pages, James. You could definitely try putting fresh stuff in there, but no guarantee that it will work.

And, because I know this is really what your question was - that would not be considered artificially toning them.

James-----One of the HARDEST decisions of my COIN life was whether to remove my Wayte toned coins from their holders. It was NO PROBLEM for me to take out the set that was in the Whitman blue folders. But, I just LOVED those coins sitting in that group of old Wayte Raymond pages.

I sat for awhile deciding exactly what to do??? Wondering if they would CONTINUE to tone if I would leave them there?? Believe me----I labored over this decision.

Finally----because my son wanted me to start a Registry set----and a lot of encouragement from another Walker collector here on these forums---I took them out and sent them to NGC.

Honestly, I "DON"T" regret doing this now at all. But, you DO WONDER if they would have reacted further with the cardboard??

My own personal opinion----thus agreeing with others here---is that probably MOST of the toning was done.

However, I do WONDER if brand new pages might continue the process?? Who knows? Just that whatever you do, I encourage you to keep the sets TOGETHER.. As always. Bob [supertooth]

I'd be a little nervous about removing them from their present folders.

Unique toning such as these will leave some to wonder how they toned like this if put in a different type folder.