• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Every once in a while someone sends me a special coin

34 posts in this topic

I never saw that much sea green on a Morgan. Being green is my fav color and it graded MS 65----I don't like it; I LOVE it!!! :headbang: A little hint of violet and blue, too!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! I would have picked that up in a NEW YORK MINUTE!!! It totally deserves the STAR, too, if I am looking at it right. SWEET!

I agree. I think its an MS64 and it might be a little dark for some but the color is wonderful.

Believe it or not; I was gonna say that, too. I believe it got a one point boost due to it's wonderful color. I'd still own it in a minute.

That's a beautiful coin. I have a shop here near me that took in a very similar coin recently (also 1884 CC). I asked the counter guy to get me a price. Still waiting. The one he has is just a tad bit darker with more red and green but still looks like a damn Christmas tree.

I'd be thrilled with either. Wonder what yours will sell for?

What do you think?

The toning looks 100% natural to me, but I wonder why it is in a black hard case GSA container if it's toned. It was my understanding that the GSA rejected these as "circulated" pieces and placed them in soft packs. Please note that I ask for educational purposes only; again, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the toning (and I do not see a problem with it). I would love to hear your thoughts.

Absent the color, the grade seems too generous. That said, a coin like this would be valued primarily on the basis of its bag toning (i.e., it's irrelevant whether one calls it a 64 or 65). As B. Sonnier once remarked concerning wildly toned Morgans, "no grades, no fights".

Absent the color, the grade seems too generous. That said, a coin like this would be valued primarily on the basis of its bag toning (i.e., it's irrelevant whether one calls it a 64 or 65). As B. Sonnier once remarked concerning wildly toned Morgans, "no grades, no fights".

That is 100% correct. Its doesnt matter what one calls it. What does matter is what it is. If it has distracting marks than some people are going to pull out of the bidding. Im not just talking about this coin either. So please nobody think this is a shot at the OP. Im just speaking in general. Im sure this coin will do well. But I also feel some people will be absent from bidding.

Hard to tell from the pics whether its baggy or if the tone breaks just make it appear baggier than it is. I can see a bump for color from NGC though.

The coin is definitely baggy but the color just makes me drool. Back to the question about Circulated vs Uncirculated.. It doesn't say Uncirculated on the plastic case which means they thought it was a "cull"

The coin is definitely baggy but the color just makes me drool. Back to the question about Circulated vs Uncirculated.. It doesn't say Uncirculated on the plastic case which means they thought it was a "cull"

From what I have read, the 'panel' that was initially sorting the bags of Morgans, culled out any coins that were what they referred to as "tarnished" ending up in the circulated holders. :o

From what I have read, the 'panel' that was initially sorting the bags of Morgans, culled out any coins that were what they referred to as "tarnished" ending up in the circulated holders. :o

1881Ogsaobv.jpg

Pretty attractive for a GSA piece.....CC's often get a small pass regarding bag marks so it's not uncommon to see a 65 that is a bit baggy.

^

Still a tremendous coin. Got to love those deep forest greens. I like how it is in the original government holder too.

I'll be honest - based on the obverse pic ( the reverse pic is too small to make a judgement) - the coin looks overgraded.

As for the color, it is undoubtedly original, but I don't like it. It has a mottled appearance that I find unattractive. I like the greens, but the overall appearance of the coin, plus the fact that it appears overgraded, makes this one a big pass for me.

I'm going to join physics on this one and also state that I don't care for the look. I do think it's kinda cool to see a GSA toner, though.