• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Irvin's Gorgeous Peace Dollar

27 posts in this topic

I haven't seen as many Peace dollars as some of you, but without a doubt this is the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Irvin bought this in the late 90's from a midwest collector. It remains ungraded and housed in a Capitol holder.

To my eye, it looks as natural as the day is long. What are your thoughts?

1925PeaceObv_79sm.jpg

1925PeaceObv_57sm.jpg

1925PeaceRev_04sm.jpg

Im on the fence. I have seen numerous toned Peace $ in Capitol Holders and have never seen one with that type or color. So that fact sends up a red flag for me...

I dont like how the red tones sit on top of the yellow... That leads me to believe that coin has had some help along the way...

The reverse looks far more NT to me than the obverse.

With that said, I do think it is one of the most beautiful toned Peace $ I have ever seen... if it were ever to make it into plastic I would be a strong buyer for it...

However I suspect that it has already been tried...

I think the reverse is NT

I think the obverse has had help and questionable toning or Art Toned

I think the coin is a prize and is resides now in a Capital holder which has had no effect on the color of coin or possibly the small blue/purple periphery on the obverse

The obverse is a little too bright on the yellow, has a toning free spot in front of the eye,and a puddle spot between the T and Y

I would not be overly surprised to see this in a slab, and feel it has a 30% chance at being MAas long as luster still there and color lays correctly on coin

I would probably buy a coin like this at a show with 50% premium, but would pass at 5 - 10 X premium

I do like it

I don't think the picture is "juiced". It looks like an axial-method of lighting was possibly used.

I think it's attractive and probably natural, but have to agree with Mark, I'm not sure if either of PCGS or NGC would holder it based on the almost religious stance that some have regarding toned (or lack of toned) Peace Dollars.

Im on the fence. I have seen numerous toned Peace $ in Capitol Holders and have never seen one with that type or color. So that fact sends up a red flag for me...

I dont like how the red tones sit on top of the yellow... That leads me to believe that coin has had some help along the way...

The reverse looks far more NT to me than the obverse.

With that said, I do think it is one of the most beautiful toned Peace $ I have ever seen... if it were ever to make it into plastic I would be a strong buyer for it...

However I suspect that it has already been tried...

I find it interesting that you would only be a "strong buyer" for the coin "if it were ever to make it into plastic". Especially after you just stated that you "don't like how the red tones sit on top of the yellow"? I'm confused. To each his/her own I suppose.

I think the coin is quite attractive, but my guess is that it would not receive a grade at NGC or PCGS.

I agree...I don't think it's market acceptable. I am personally on the fence as to whether it passes my sniff test as there are things I see that I like and don't like but I would be surprised to see the coin in an NGC holder and a little less surprised to see it in a PCGS holder. The fact that it's in a capital plastic holder would lead me to believe that someone might have already tried to get it graded and wasn't successful but that's purely conjecture on my part as I always think coins like this would be graded if they could be and that is not correct 100% of the time.

For what it's worth...I think the coin has nice eye appeal (thumbs u

I find it interesting that you would only be a "strong buyer" for the coin "if it were ever to make it into plastic". Especially after you just stated that you "don't like how the red tones sit on top of the yellow"? I'm confused. To each his/her own I suppose.

I am on the fence as to AT/NT.. but I dont hold myself to the level that I am better at spotting AT then the graders at NGC or PCGS.

There's nothing that screams AT about the coin but the obverse is somewhat suspect. I have seen thousands of toned Peace $ but I havent seen them all...

And lastly, if the coin is in NGC/PCGS plastic it becomes much more liquid then in a Capitol Holder if it were ever to be resold...upon my death...lol

I haven't seen as many Peace dollars as some of you, but without a doubt this is the prettiest one I've ever seen.

Irvin bought this in the late 90's from a midwest collector. It remains ungraded and housed in a Capitol holder.

To my eye, it looks as natural as the day is long. What are your thoughts?

The toning is reminiscent of a couple of the Frankies I posted here just a short while ago. Compare to my 1960-D and 1961.

I think the picture being juiced makes it very hard to tell AT vs NT but my first gut feel is NT.

What would be my motivation for juicing a photo of a coin owned by a member of this forum?

I'm not selling the coin, nor am I looking for clients. I'd be the worst business man in the world if I were since I don't charge for any photos I take.

The "juicing" may be the result of hand shadowing and lights held high, since shadows do result in better color.

Here is the coin with a Lincoln and lime green bubble level to compare colors.

Obviously the progression of color looks better in 3D (in hand) than by a 2D image, not to mention more natural.

1925peaceFullobv_02med.jpg

First off, Great pictures Bob!

Second, I agree with the general comments in this thread, the reverse could be NT and the obverse could have gotten some help. As far as looks go, I think that it is a nice coin.

I think the picture being juiced makes it very hard to tell AT vs NT but my first gut feel is NT.

What would be my motivation for juicing a photo of a coin owned by a member of this forum?

I'm not selling the coin, nor am I looking for clients. I'd be the worst business man in the world if I were since I don't charge for any photos I take.

The "juicing" may be the result of hand shadowing and lights held high, since shadows do result in better color.

Here is the coin with a Lincoln and lime green bubble level to compare colors.

Obviously the progression of color looks better in 3D (in hand) than by a 2D image, not to mention more natural.

1925peaceFullobv_02med.jpg

Did you use the unsharpen mask tools in photoshop? Something seems off about the very first pic.

Did you use the unsharpen mask tools in photoshop? Something seems off about the very first pic.

No, I didn't. Here is the first image exactly as it came out of the camera. I have reduced the size file from 3456x2304 to 1200x1800.

If you look around the large image you can see some of the shadowing I was talking about. These are used to bring out detail and color.

1925PeaceObv_79meda.jpg

The first image cropped and at 600x600

1925PeaceObv_79sm.jpg

I have had dozens of coins photographed by Bob - he does not juice or alter the photos. You can bet it looks pretty darn-tootin close to that in hand.

As for whether this coin is NT or AT - I believe its NT. Look for example at the yellow halo around the profile on the obverse - that distinct color change is something I would expect from air flow distribution. If that's AT - then it is a fantastic example and I'd buy it anyways (and you don't hear me say that often).

First let me say Thank you Bob for all the great photos. They are superb. With that said I know what a difficult task this coin is to capture the toning and the luster in single combined photo. I want to thank all the forum members here and Ats that have given their opinions on the coin. All of your opinions are of value and are appreciated. I know that I could have never gotten my photos good enough for anyone to make any opinion of the coin. I hope to get this coin submitted some time in the near future. (thumbs u

First let me say Thank you Bob for all the great photos. They are superb. With that said I know what a difficult task this coin is to capture the toning and the luster in single combined photo. I want to thank all the forum members here and Ats that have given their opinions on the coin. All of your opinions are of value and are appreciated. I know that I could have never gotten my photos good enough for anyone to make any opinion of the coin. I hope to get this coin submitted some time in the near future. (thumbs u

Good luck with getting her into plastic ! She is beautiful. And if you decide to ever part with her... contact me last so I can beat your best offer !

Tell me your joking! "Juice the image" Give me a break! Why in the heck would Bob do that? Bob is a honorable collector and photographer. This isn't even his coin!

I like the look of this Peace dollar and I like the image, looks great from here. As to AT vs NT I collect nickel and it throws me off every time. I leaning towards NT.....Joe