• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thief Drops Stolen Coin Collection into Coinstar Machine

23 posts in this topic

Original Link: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/thief-drops-stolen-coin-collection-coinstar-machine-154615597.html

Police in Oregon are searching for a suspect who allegedly stole a rare coin collection from his own father and traded it in for pennies on the dollar at a local coin-counting machine.

On Christmas day, Dan Johnson Jr. and two friends broke into a shed on his father's property, where the coin collection was stowed. The burglars also reportedly stole tools and two safes, which had approximately 50 to 60 pounds of silver and jewelry inside.

So what explains the colossal miscue? Authorities say that the simplest explanation is the most persuasive one. "The obvious answer is that the crooks were insufficiently_thoughtful_persons," Dan Johnson Sr. told local affiliate Fox 12. "To not know the value of what they had taken, just to get pocket change for it. Just really a stupid person. Makes me feel good he was a stupid person and didn't realize what he had."

The thieves took the coin collection, worth several thousand dollars, and dropped it into a Coinstar machine, where they received $450. They were unsuccessful in their attempts to put the silver coins into the machine and eventually took those to a local bank.

"It was an inheritance, which made it even worse because I lost an inheritance that was meant to go forward for my children and grandchildren," Johnson said of the collection that his son had purloined.

However, Johnson is now working with the Multnomah County Sheriff's deputies to sift through the Coinstar machine looking for his collection. The bank is also returning the silver coins to Johnson.

Police have caught two of the suspects involved in the crime, both of whom they say are cooperating in the investigation.

That sounds like part of the me generation that have no willingness to work and think thier parents should support them. Shame! Sounds like the Father will be getting most his collection back anyway.

That is so sad in a number of ways....Not the least of which is I suspect the collection, even if he gets it all back, is going to be slightly worse for wear after going through a Coinstar machine! So much for that MS 65 Morgan! :cry:

Its because of those stories why my kids will be educated in coins and learn to appreciate the history of them....I hope. My son is 3 and he knows how important his dads coins are! My daughter..... still too young.

At least the guy will get them back.

I agree with bsshog. Kids these days, especially in my neighborhood, have NO respect for a hard days work! Nor do they care about the value of ones property! Everyday I pick up trash from my yard and at least once a week I hear about vandalism in the area! I worry about my kids growing up in this area!

Thanks for listening

nick

A son robs his own father? I would disown him. Unacceptable to the highest degree. Children are not being raised properly anymore - so half the blame really does need to go to the father.

A son robs his own father? I would disown him. Unacceptable to the highest degree. Children are not being raised properly anymore - so half the blame really does need to go to the father.

I don't know, I have to slightly disagree. Parents do not have any rights anymore for disiplining thier children. The children are taught in schools of what parents are allowed to do to them anymore. You can ground a child to thier room but you can't make them stay there. If you give a good old spanking like my parents did, you can go to jail for child abuse. Look how many kids mouth thier parents and all the parent can do is stand in embarrassment. (shrug)

I don't know, I have to slightly disagree. Parents do not have any rights anymore for disiplining thier children. The children are taught in schools of what parents are allowed to do to them anymore. You can ground a child to thier room but you can't make them stay there. If you give a good old spanking like my parents did, you can go to jail for child abuse. Look how many kids mouth thier parents and all the parent can do is stand in embarrassment. (shrug)

I'm not sure I agree with that. Hitting kids might be an answer but it certain could be used as an anger release for the adult at the same time. I don't believe it hitting...period.

HOWEVER, there still are things that parents can do that they are simply NOT doing. Being consistent (both parents on same page for instance) and NOT giving in to the child's "demands". Too many times the parents just get lazy especially when the kids are younger. Spoiling them to death and letting them have everything they want thinking they'll love you more. This needs to be done pretty early on. If you wait until they are teenagers you don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

jom

I'm not sure I agree with that. Hitting kids might be an answer but it certain could be used as an anger release for the adult at the same time. I don't believe it hitting...period.

HOWEVER, there still are things that parents can do that they are simply NOT doing. Being consistent (both parents on same page for instance) and NOT giving in to the child's "demands". Too many times the parents just get lazy especially when the kids are younger. Spoiling them to death and letting them have everything they want thinking they'll love you more. This needs to be done pretty early on. If you wait until they are teenagers you don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

jom

Well I surely don't want to start a debate about this but I was hardly ever hit as a child. When I say HIT, I meant spanked on the butt. Beatings are totally different situations. It didn't take but one good spanking to straighten my act up. lol

To add, you are correct also. Times are different today. Most parents have to have 2 jobs to make ends meet and are not always around to make sure children are doing right. And lazy? Could be, but this also falls into the category of having to work soo much that it's probably easier for most to say Yes than argue with No.

No offense but unless you have children in the age group you really have no basis for this type of comment. Nature vs nurture...another one of those polarizing discussions.

My brother and I were raised in the same house by the same parents with the same rules. He's a lazy irresponsible drain on society and I refuse to take anything I haven't earned from anyone. Is that half my fathers fault that he's lazy or half my fathers credit that I am not?

My point? IMO we are born with personalities and individual characteristics. Our parents get a lot of credit for overcoming faults and capitalizing on strengths, but in the end an individual is responsible for his own actions...no one else.

I haven't thought about this for 40 years but when I was growing up in the 60s in Pittsburgh, I worked at Longue Vue Country Club (a real upscale country club) as a caddy. We had a kid that worked with us called "Crazy Louie"; he was a tall kid with long blond hair. One day Louie came to the club with a big bag of gum balls. He shared them with everyone and we emptied the bag. I remember I got a couple red ones.

Well, later we found out where Louie got the money for the gum, it turned out that he took his father's Indian Head penny collection and put all of the coins in a gum ball machine! Louie was indeed deserving of the moniker "Crazy" but he was nice enough to share. This is why you have never heard of the Gum Ball Hoard of Indian Head Cents; we ate it! :)

Sometimes children of 'entitled' means who are spoiled and have very permissive parents will think nothing of doing something like this. It is like a drop in the bucket to them....no different than raiding the refrigerator. Only, when they see the hurt that they have caused their parents and the disappointment in their eyes will they full understand the GRAVITY of their deeds and how it affects them and their parents. Stealing is stealing no matter HOW you choose to justify it. It is flat out sinful AND wrong. Your consience will quickly let you know this. Maybe not immediately but, eventually, they will see it and hopefully not ever do something like this ever again. It is wrong on every level and it will violate your core values in one way or the other.

this is another case of a couple bad apple giving my generation a bad name.

lol

dont generalize people.

This is nothing new and it transcends generations.

agreed.

this is another case of a couple bad apple giving my generation a bad name.

lol

dont generalize people.

This is nothing new and it transcends generations.

agreed.

+1

I speak from experience and I was as wild as they come when I was a kid. I wish that I could take back some of my reckless, youthful behavior but I can't. All that I can do is be better in the future and let my maturity and experience guide me. I'm not trying to preach, because I am someone who had 'done it all' and I was no saint and was a product of the excessive 80s & 90s generation X. But, as I say, everyone must go through this and learn it---sometimes the hard way. 'Nuff said.