• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you doing a box of 20?

37 posts in this topic

This isn't a topic I've seen discussed in a while. A box of 20 is based on the idea that you keep your 20 best coins. As you find another coin to buy you have to sell one to make room. That way you only have your 20 best with you. I've been doing a box of 20 for a while now. I've only got 18, though. I still have some mint sets, proof sets, etc. but my money coins are the box of 20.

Anyone else doing a box of 20 or something similar?

Since I'm building a 50pc Commem set I'm already out of the running. But I can see why people would do it.

On the other hand, there is some enjoyment to be had for adding common date Peace dollars at close to melt.

I realize that the "box of 20" concept has quite a few supporters. But personally, I don't like the idea.

Sometimes there is no "best" between two or more coins - just different.

If the idea is to instill discipline, why not limit the amount of funds that can be spent, instead?

Often, a collector can get more enjoyment from two lower priced coins than from one higher priced one. And that doesn't make the one coin "better".

I believe that collectors should have freedom - though preferably still be responsible - not rules or artificial boundaries/restraints, for their collecting. ;)

I've bounced back and forth on the idea myself. I think the reason I went with it was mainly due to constraints. Easier for me to keep up with a few coins than lots plus I enjoy looking at them that much more, lol.

I actually end up dividing my collection into 2 parts. The box of 20 is my special collection that I keep in the safe deposit box and I have a number of mint sets and proof sets that I keep at home just for fun. So I try to have the best of both worlds. :)

I have been doing a Box of 20 in a way.

Since I like Early Walkers and there are only 26 of them. I have had a 20 Box for a LONG time. I have 17 in that box. Only ONE in the box is a middle date (38-D). I plan to continue to work on the Early dates, so I will have 20 box for some time to come. I either add new ones or upgrade what I already have.

Someday I will expand to the rest of the set (65 coins in all) but no time soon.

My reasons for doing this 20 box (26 actually) are not EXACTLY the same as the concept of the '20 box' but are quite similar.

I will start work on the rest of the coins in the set after I hit # 22 and have improved upon them as much as I can, b/c the 19-D and 21 series will be VERY pricey.

I do like this concept, though.

Since I like Early Walkers and there are only 26 of them. I have had a 20 Box for a LONG time. I have 17 in that box. Only ONE in the box is a middle date (38-D). I plan to continue to work on the Early dates, so I will have 20 box for some time to come. I either add new ones or upgrade what I already have.

Someday I will expand to the rest of the set (65 coins in all) but no time soon.

It sounds as if you are doing a set of early Walkers, not a box of 20. Nor even a box of 26, as that just happens to be the number of early Walkers.

It sounds as if you are doing a set of early Walkers, not a box of 20. Nor even a box of 26, as that just happens to be the number of early Walkers.

Yes-Definitely an Early Walker set. That is my focus right now.

Box of 26 is what I am doing and is a much more accurate statement, although the standard size for a NGC/PCGS box is 20, so when that is full I will have to start another box for the remaining six. ;)

I will probably settle on nice AU examples for the last four coins just so I can finish what I've started and then move on to the other dates.

The most I have been able to squeeze in was 10, but they were small. I don't know how anyone could get 20 in one box.

If pressed, I could choose 20 favorites from my coins to bring somewhere to show off. But I'm working on sets - my collecting focus is to complete those sets. Right now, I have a dozen boxes of 20, almost all filled.

I think if I found myself only wanting to keep 20 coins, it would be time to step away from the hobby. I see nothing wrong with wanting to do a box of 20, but I find joy in filling the gaps in my sets and I love all of my coins. Even the widgets.

A box of 20 isn't a collection (unless you are actually collecting something that has just close to 20 pieces in it), it is a speculation or an "investment" strategy.

I have found it I use a 20 slab box and put raw coins in it I can keep a lot more coins :kidaround:

Seriously though, I think a box of 20 would be a nice idea for an investment set, but I don't have that kind of money for this hobby at this time. Maybe in the future...I have thought about it actually and it goes back to the list of top five coins, except I would extend it out to 20. For me it would be a type set of sorts.

But I still wouldn't get rid of my other sets.

A box of 20 isn't a collection (unless you are actually collecting something that has just close to 20 pieces in it), it is a speculation or an "investment" strategy.

I think it can easily be a collection, and it need not have anything to do with speculation or investment.

Who says people can't simply collect coins which appeal to them, for whatever reason?

Hmm, I guess I don't think of the box of 20 as an investment concept. Maybe my focus is a bit different as a collector. I never was into type sets or all of a similar thing (either of type or date series). I think if I had to define my collection it would be "cool stuff I like looking at."

And the things that aren't in my box of 20 are there for fun, too, like my proof and mint sets, some GSA stuff, and some foreign. But when I really want a cool coin, I always go to my box of 20 and either improve it or add to it.

Yes, I am doing a box of 20. I just finished, so I will taking one of two possible courses of action:

1) Selling a few pieces - stay tuned to a BST near you

2) Starting another box of 20

Fwiw I don't think of my Box of 20 as an investment, though obviously there are financial considerations involved.

I could never stick to a box of just 20 coins. There are WAY too many interesting pieces to ignore beyond 20 items.

I guess you have to say I'm trying to finish a box of 12. That's how many major early gold type coins there are from 1795 to 1834. I've got one bear to go, it's a grizzly bear if there ever was one. ;)

I collect buffalo nickels and yes I upgrade all the time. I guess you can say I'm working with three boxes of 20. This is a great hobby and I enjoy collecting in more ways than one. The problem is I don't sell my doubles, at least not yet.

Nope. I'm working on assorted sets... even my Type set is a set.

I wonder what came first, the box (of 20) itself, or the concept of Box of 20 and then the box. What if the standard box had 25 slots, would that change the number needed?

Nope. I'm working on assorted sets... even my Type set is a set.

I wonder what came first, the box (of 20) itself, or the concept of Box of 20 and then the box. What if the standard box had 25 slots, would that change the number needed?

Likely

I think it started as a marketing scheme, as the average collector buys to high and sells to low

although it is much easier to move and keep in safe deposit box

I know some people that collect state quarters by the roll -

(which is not up my alley - maybe they will leave them in the family and a few generations from now, will be able to buy a house with it)