• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MA, NT, or AT - You decide

Toning  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Toning

33 posts in this topic

I put AT, I just don't believe there is that much natural toning that can occur for a 12 year old coin.

PCGS graded it so it's MA but it's AT because that is what it is. A natural place for that coin to reside did NOT create that toning.

However...it's pretty. Buy it if you like it....

jom

PS: I voted "who cares?". lol

I voted MA also. I do believe that it was placed in something that intentionally toned it. Either way, it's slabbed and it is what it is.

Voted MA....not to say I don't think it was 'helped along'.....I think it's AT. But isn't that what MA really implies....an AT coin that looks nice, therefore acceptable?

This is why I prefer white coins. While the colors are cool, I would never pay a premium for MA toned coins.

Like bsshog said..... Either way, it's slabbed and it is what it is.

I also noticed something....most all of these wildly toned ASE's are only graded MS67 or MS68. Could the fact they are MA be the cause for them NOT to hit 69? Hell, most all ASE'S are 69's minimum.

I also noticed something....most all of these wildly toned ASE's are only graded MS67 or MS68. Could the fact they are MA be the cause for them NOT to hit 69? Hell, most all ASE'S are 69's minimum.

I think the coin was knocked down to MS68 because of the spots.

I just don't believe there is that much natural toning that can occur for a 12 year old coin.

I had the same thought, but still decided that I liked it any way.

Acceptable.

.999 silver tones much more quickly than does the .900 stuff.

I had noticed this pattern, and glad that I'm not the only one; however, I had always wondered why this is. I thought that copper was more reactive than silver and that the 90% stuff would tone faster. I thought my observations about the 99.93% stuff was because of sample size skewing.

I voted AT, but it's obviously MA because it slabbed and I'm sure someone would pay a lot of money for it. Me, I'd pay silver value for it.

I put AT, I just don't believe there is that much natural toning that can occur for a 12 year old coin.

Pure silver can tone extremely fast - in a matter of months, not years.

I voted MA......could have had help but certainly toning like that can occur naturally depending on the storage conditions and I think the TPGs generally slab similar coins 95% of the time.

older PCI slabs give that bright orange ring

I like seeing them as many say 100% white, and it reminds me

that they probably were when they were slabbed,

but now some have vibrant color

Coinman: Looks like it came out of an old PCI slab, probably labeled 100% white as well so I do not see how it could be AT and I voted NT...

Here's one I put into a coin envelope for storage, took about 1 year to tone...

2005_ASE_SM_5.jpg

Here's one that toned in an after market holder...

1987_sm.jpg

Like it or not these things are going to tone, so enjoy the rainbow...

The reason I believe that the coin is AT is due to the fact the devices (say the Letters) have the same toning as field next to it. That is a sign of "gas".

Look at old Morgans and CBHs...the stars are usually white when the field around them have the color.

And, yes, I got much of this info from Bob Campbell's DVD on the subject....

Right or wrong I'd still vote "who cares?".

jom

Coinman: Looks like it came out of an old PCI slab, probably labeled 100% white as well so I do not see how it could be AT and I voted NT...

I had never realized this before, but I found another target toned Silver American Eagle in a PCI holder. Neat and thanks for the information!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Rainbow-Toned-Silver-American-Eagle-Dollar-/260738732616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb53d5248

many people use 'the intentions' in criteria for MA, AT or NT

as well as time to form color

surely putting coins in an album or holder and 5-30 years later having great colors is much different than a weekend job with gas/heat/chemical... whatever

and if someone showed you DenverDaves awesome coin raw,

you may be reluctant to buy it

Absolutely MA that's the way those things can tone. I've got a 1986 around here somewhere that's toned just from being in my desk drawer with papers. There's no such thing as AT or NT in the grading room.

The local dealer in Spokane had a vibrantly toned set of those in an old Wayte Raymond album that he kept on top of his lights to get them hot. AT, NT ... just doesn't matter.