• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay- Item not delivered- Anyone ever have this problem?

25 posts in this topic

I sold some sets of Presidential proof sets on ebay. I sold them last month. Mailed with Delivery Confirmation and I showed they were delivered on Jan. 27th. I also emailed the buyer with the tracking number so he could track it also. Today I get an email from the buyer wondering where his package is. Says I should have mailed with Delivery Confirmation. Well I emailed the info below that I copied from the USPS Track & Confirm site. Has anyone ever had this problem and do I need to contact the post ofc or should he contact his local ofc? Thanks for any help!

Label/Receipt Number: 0310 2640 0001 0880 7952

Expected Delivery Date: January 27, 2011

Class: Priority Mail®

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was delivered at 12:20 pm on January 27, 2011 in PORTLAND, OR 97220.

Enter Label/Receipt Number.

Enter Label / Receipt Number.

Detailed Results:

Delivered, January 27, 2011, 12:20 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97220

Out for Delivery, January 27, 2011, 8:27 am, PORTLAND, OR 97230

Sorting Complete, January 27, 2011, 8:17 am, PORTLAND, OR 97230

Arrival at Post Office, January 27, 2011, 5:01 am, PORTLAND, OR 97230

Processed through Sort Facility, January 26, 2011, 9:44 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218

Processed through Sort Facility, January 25, 2011, 8:57 pm, SHREVEPORT, LA 71102

Acceptance, January 25, 2011, 1:43 pm, SHREVEPORT, LA 71102

Yes it's happened to me and yes you need to go to your post office and talk to them and they can attempt to put a trace on the package with the buyers local Post Office. There are no guarantees that they will be able to find it and if the items weren't insured then you could be on the hook for them though I believe paypal may only require delivery confirmation as proof of mailing?

I have had many transactions where I received a tracking number from say amazon and it showed a package delivered to me when I never got it and come to find out it was being delivered to the wrong address so you can't automatically assume the buyer got the package just becuase the delivery confirmation shows the coins as being delivered. doh!

I get this all the time. I point out to the buyer the Post Office says delivered and it's amazing how quickly the buyer find the package. The wife/child/sister/maid must have stuck it somewhere and they just found it..... meh

Of course, it's also very possible that it wasn't delivered.

Just got done talking to my post ofc and it's like, too bad. We can't verify where the package got delivered unless you send it certified. No trace can be done. Pitiful. It's a no wonder the UPSP is losing soo much money and going broke. UPS and Fedx are soo much more reliable. What gets me also is I sent himan email with the confirmation #, why he didn't check it and waited soo long to contact me.

Actually I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. Many of these postal delivery workers don't pay attention to either names or addresses on parcels. Why ? because many of them simply can't read . Thats the truth. Fortunately I have an older post man who knows me, and is always on the alert for me when it comes to shipments like these. Before I got him, I had to constantly complain about some chinese guy they had on the route. Sad situation for sure . How the heck to they pass the Postal Exam test . Beyond me .

I have contacted ebay to make them aware of the situation. They also told me, because I have a tracking number, that it can be proven that I mailed the item and it was delivered regardless of where. Of course, it will probably move to a Paypal claim then. This sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the guy will find this sitting on a shelf at home that someone forgot to give to him. :wishluck:

Added, just got this email already from the buyer after I showed him the delivery conf.;;

Dear bsshog40,

I thought as much, I live in an apartment and I have had problems with a neighbor getting my packages. I lost two packages that week with money in them. Like I explained in the letter that's why I said I was not going to turn-in a bad report. Thanks, for all your help I'll attend to the neighbor, which by the way also collects coins. I'll turn-in the report today, Thanks for all your help! Pastor Michael

I sold some sets of Presidential proof sets on ebay. I sold them last month. Mailed with Delivery Confirmation and I showed they were delivered on Jan. 27th. I also emailed the buyer with the tracking number so he could track it also. Today I get an email from the buyer wondering where his package is. Says I should have mailed with Delivery Confirmation. Well I emailed the info below that I copied from the USPS Track & Confirm site. Has anyone ever had this problem and do I need to contact the post ofc or should he contact his local ofc? Thanks for any help!

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, January 25, 2011, 8:57 pm, SHREVEPORT, LA 71102

The buyer needs to contact their local post office with the tracking and delivery confirmation info you provided them. It's in the buyer's hands.

Fed Ex once delivered a very $$ Expensive $$ coin (with signature required) to the wrong house!! it was my neighbors house two doors down!!! My name and address were CLEARLY labeled!! I called FEDEX to file a complaint. Amazing!! Thank God my neighbor was honest and quickly notified me after she signed it and noticed it wasn't for her!! If she was dishonest and sgned a bogus name, I'm not so sure if I could have recovered it!! :mad: I, too, was tracking it and it said 'status: delivered'

Well I emailed him back after the response I got above with:

Dear pastormichaelgillam,

Please let me know if you get them. If I had another set I would replace them but sold the only 2 sets I had. Thanks for your quick response. Bobby

- bsshog40

This was his response so I really don't think I'll have to worry about any claim or neg feedback anyway.

Dear bsshog40,

Thanks, for the offer. We will be getting those along with two other orders that had been taken from our mail box in due time. We just needed proof before we accused him. I need to find a way to secure my mailbox so this can't happen again. It my fault for not being here, and leaving things in an open mailbox all day. Again, Thanks. P. Michael

Actually I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. Many of these postal delivery workers don't pay attention to either names or addresses on parcels. Why ? because many of them simply can't read . Thats the truth. Fortunately I have an older post man who knows me, and is always on the alert for me when it comes to shipments like these. Before I got him, I had to constantly complain about some chinese guy they had on the route. Sad situation for sure . How the heck to they pass the Postal Exam test . Beyond me .
Sorry, but I don't believe that many postal delivery workers can't read. That is, unless by "many" you meant " a few". ;)

Seriously? I've worked for Canada Post for 31 years and I've never met a Postal

Employee who can't read. Some of us don't have our light bulbs screwed in all

the way, some are lazy and all of us are in a rush.

We deliver hundreds, sometimes thousands of items per day and being human we can

make a mistake. If the address label is smeared or the sender doesn't print

clearly or the lighting is poor the odds of error get worse.

For the record, UPS and Fedex and every delivery service out there make mistakes.

I have contacted ebay to make them aware of the situation. They also told me, because I have a tracking number, that it can be proven that I mailed the item and it was delivered regardless of where. Of course, it will probably move to a Paypal claim then. This sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the guy will find this sitting on a shelf at home that someone forgot to give to him. :wishluck:

Added, just got this email already from the buyer after I showed him the delivery conf.;;

Dear bsshog40,

I thought as much, I live in an apartment and I have had problems with a neighbor getting my packages. I lost two packages that week with money in them. Like I explained in the letter that's why I said I was not going to turn-in a bad report. Thanks, for all your help I'll attend to the neighbor, which by the way also collects coins. I'll turn-in the report today, Thanks for all your help! Pastor Michael

This seems like a decent guy to me, you will be able to work it out. FWIW, I send all items signature confirmation at $1.95, that is charged to the buyer. I think that helps stave off those who don't mean well and gives a clear line from shipped to delivered.

Detailed Results:

The buyer needs to contact their local post office with the tracking and delivery confirmation info you provided them. It's in the buyer's hands.

Actually no...... ebay and PP have buyer protection, the responsibility is with the seller until the buyer is satisfied. Period.

I had this happen just before the holidays, so I stopped at the post office, they looked it up and gave me a print out showing it was delivered. I sent this to the person and of course they found it.

Also, I know this is technically against paypal/ebay rules, but I never use delivery confirmation, I just send everything insured. It might cost a dollar more, but it gives me the next step that you didn't have, which is saying:

"Well it was insured, so if you didn't receive it, we can file a claim with the postal service, I will get the forms tomorrow and mail them to you. Once you complete your affidavit of loss and sign the form, I will file it with the postal inspectors and complete the claim. Once the investigation is complete and the claim approved, I will happily refund your entire purchase price and postage."

Send that in an e-mail and it's amazing how many lost packages are suddenly found!

UPS and Fedx are soo much more reliable.

Where my folks live UPS and Fedex drop off the packages at the post office if the weather is poor...then they pay the post office to complete the delivery.

Well I was surprised when I checked my ebay, seen a new feedback, and it was from this buyer. It was positive and he wrote "Thanks for your help". I don't even think he got his coins yet but he's pretty sure where they're at. With his Ebay name starting with Pastor, I was hoping he was an honest man. Seems so! (thumbs u

Actually I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. Many of these postal delivery workers don't pay attention to either names or addresses on parcels. Why ? because many of them simply can't read .

That would be an impossibility.

The Postal Workers exam is designed to weed out a very small percentage of the population who have the ability to quickly scan with their eyes, and process the information they read and be able to sort the mail in a very short amount of time. We're talking seconds.

I took the test once, and failed miserably. You are given a set of addresses that are as similar as they can be, with only very minor differences and you're asked to find the address they want. The majority of the questions are set up in this manor, and are all multiple choice.

Actually no...... ebay and PP have buyer protection, the responsibility is with the seller until the buyer is satisfied. Period.

I very much disagree. You proved that you did mail it, and the buyer chose not to purchase insurance. This is why I would include language to the effect that "if the buyer does not elect to purchase insurance, the seller is not liable for lost packages." In other words, this is incorporated to the auction description which essentially constitutes a written legal contract (there was an offer, acceptance, consideration, etc.). Another way to obviate this is to require all buyers to purchase insurance. This is my preferred method. If you don't want to purchase insurance ($1.75) on purchases less than $100, then don't bid.

I very much disagree. You proved that you did mail it, and the buyer chose not to purchase insurance. This is why I would include language to the effect that "if the buyer does not elect to purchase insurance, the seller is not liable for lost packages." In other words, this is incorporated to the auction description which essentially constitutes a written legal contract (there was an offer, acceptance, consideration, etc.). Another way to obviate this is to require all buyers to purchase insurance. This is my preferred method. If you don't want to purchase insurance ($1.75) on purchases less than $100, then don't bid.

That's a wonderful legal contract. However, you have a legal contract with PayPal and you agree to get the item to the buyer. The buyer will file with PayPal and get their money back under that contract. Of course, you are free to sue the buyer to enforce the contract you have with him as written in the auction. You can possibly win and if you are persistent enough you may even collect what you are owed. All of this will end up costing you so much in time that it won't be worth it.

coinman, you can add any language you want, but the buyer is still protected. THE ONLY WAY TO SELL ON EBAY IS TO REQUIRE INSURANCE AND SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. The buyer makes the purchase, the seller must provide the product and is responsible for it getting to the buyer and bears all responsibility with the post office unless the seller has proof the buyer had it in their hands. Even if the buyer receives it, and says they did not, and there is not proof either way, then ebay will side with the buyer. So I will repeat. THE ONLY WAY TO SELL ON EBAY IS TO REQUIRE INSURANCE AND SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. Now if you want to risk not doing this because you sell small priced stuff, that is your risk as a seller. ebay WILL, always side with the buyer unless you have absolute written documentation that the buyer received it. Hence I will repeat one more time - THE ONLY WAY TO SELL ON EBAY IS TO REQUIRE INSURANCE AND SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. I know I am redundant but I am trying to drive the point home.

That's a wonderful legal contract. However, you have a legal contract with PayPal and you agree to get the item to the buyer. The buyer will file with PayPal and get their money back under that contract. Of course, you are free to sue the buyer to enforce the contract you have with him as written in the auction. You can possibly win and if you are persistent enough you may even collect what you are owed. All of this will end up costing you so much in time that it won't be worth it.

what he said :golfclap:

First of all, forcing a charge back for allegedly not receiving an item where objective, reliable evidence provides otherwise would seemingly fall outside the purview of the Paypal terms of use. Even if you were right in your interpretation, which I question in terms of the practicality and the reputation that Paypal would develop, I think there would certainly be enforceability issues with Paypal's contract. I think a transfer of funds back to the buyer in this instance would provide a contract action directly against Paypal (especially given the seller protection language, see below). Being a large corporation, recovery is more likely including costs, and the odds are quite favorable that they would simply settle. Do you think that a large corporation is going to spend a few grand in attorney's fees fighting a small claim of less than $200 (when they are unlikely to receive their expenses in court)? Second of all, the Ebay and Paypal Seller Protection plans would kick in, and this would seemingly protect the seller; I think that Paypal would contractually obligate itself to protecting your interests in these provisions.

Finally, I think that you were missing my entire point. Someone wrote something to the effect that the evidence of delivery was immaterial, and I was commenting on those grounds. If you read my original post, you will see that I personally choose the more practical and less time consuming option - I require every buyer to purchase insurance. If the package is claimed to be lost, then the buyer can hash it out with USPS. When the package is insured for more than $200, USPS forces signature confirmation anyway. I simply indicated that if I did not have this policy, I would have added that language.

" I require every buyer to purchase insurance. If the package is claimed to be lost, then the buyer can hash it out with USPS. When the package is insured for more than $200, USPS forces signature confirmation anyway. I simply indicated that if I did not have this policy, I would have added that language."

But it is the SELLER that purchases the insurance and MAILS it. The seller is thus responsible if the package does not arrive. If it does not arrive, the buyer will file a claim against the seller with ebay and PP, and he/she will win.

I though the ebay rules now forbid the seller to require the buyer to pay extra for insurance.

They do. You can bundle shipping and insurance into one charge, but not list them separately.