• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo contest anyone?

128 posts in this topic

If you saw the pictures I put up of the 1895 proof quarter in the "Brother Can You Spare A Grade" section, this is the coin that I'm looking to have the contest with. I'm not great at doing axial lighting, but I have had success with it. I know this might be a bad time of year for it, but I want to do this before I forget about it.

Rules? Not sure, but I like the ones Bob put up for the last contest.

1. 3 day limit to take pictures, excluding weekends and holidays.

2. Shipping will be covered by the photographer, first class mail plus $300 insurance.

3. Deadline to enter contest November 19th.

4. Limited to members from this forum only!

5. Image size should be no larger than 640x640, only one obverse and one reverse photo please.

6. Any name you learn of via this contest must be kept in the strictest confidence unless given permission by that person. In other words, do not use personal names on this board unless given permission. Thanks in advance.

Give me your thoughts and I'll consider any other rules that make sense.

PM me your address so I can get a preliminary schedule, the contest will start in Missouri.

Thanks in advance.

I took part in one a while back ATS. It took close to a year to get done. You may want to do a search and see how many people and how long it took for the last one that was run. Nice thought, but won't work if time is a factor unless very limited number of people involved. Just my two cents. :)

Ok, well, there are a couple of guys ATS that would do well, but I can keep this over here. Messydesk is a member here, but Mark Goodman is not, as well as Airplanenut. But, I think that's a good idea. We'll keep it to those over here, and if those guys want in, they can just join over here! So sir Times, I expect a PM from you with your info!!

Ok, well, there are a couple of guys ATS that would do well, but I can keep this over here. Messydesk is a member here, but Mark Goodman is not, as well as Airplanenut. But, I think that's a good idea. We'll keep it to those over here, and if those guys want in, they can just join over here! So sir Times, I expect a PM from you with your info!!

Mark Goodman and Airplanenut are both members here, although it's been well over a year that they've last posted. I believe there are a few others from the last photo contest that are also members from both sides.

Well, if they show, they show, if not, then I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Should I even make a thread ATS with a link to this thread?

It just depends on how many participants you want. There are a few that would probably enter that never bother to come to this side of the street. It's nice to have a large number of members participate, but it can really slow down the progression.

My last contest had 28 players and lasted 8 months. There were a couple of instances where the coin remained in one's hand longer than planned. The longest period being close to a month and to make matters worse, the person decided not enter any photos. Ideally you should be able to complete 5 or 6 per month. My contest averaged 3.5.

I really enjoyed the time spent and watching the end result unfold. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Thanks for the info Bob, let's just keep it to those that are active over here! Although, if the two aforementioned members decided to join, I wouldn't say no! :)

If you saw the pictures I put up of the 1895 proof quarter in the "Brother Can You Spare A Grade" section, this is the coin that I'm looking to have the contest with. I'm not great at doing axial lighting, but I have had success with it. I know this might be a bad time of year for it, but I want to do this before I forget about it.

Rules? Not sure, but I like the ones Bob put up for the last contest.

1. 3 days should be long enough for anyone to take pictures of said coin, if you can't do it in that amount of time, you prolly can't do it! :)

2. Shipping will be covered by the photographer. I hope this is ok, but since I'll be providing the prize, I don't think it's that much to ask. I would estimate the coin to be worth $300 so it shouldn't cost too much to ship.

3. Deadline to enter contest? How about November 19th.

4. I think we should limit this to a certain number, I don't want this to take six months. What say you? 20, 30? Or just whoever signs up?

5. Limited to members from this forum only!

Give me your thoughts and I'll consider any other rules that make sense.

PM me your address so I can get a preliminary schedule, the contest will start in Missouri.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in. Here's a crazy idea I'd propose: Every participant send the host $10. If the coin is received, imaged and shipped back out within the 3-day window (exclude holidays and weekends, and this is on the honor system), then he gets back $5. All remaining proceeds comprise the grand prize.

Here are the contestants as of right now, in no particular order:

1. Ant

2. Robec1347

3. Hard Times

4. physics-fan3.14

5. James_EarlyUS

6. Messydesk

7. Keigwin

8. blu62vette

Any other amateur or semi pro, or fully pro photographers wanna give this one a shot?

Here are the contestants as of right now, in no particular order:

1. Ant

2. Robec1347

3. Hard Times

4. physics-fan3.14

5. James_EarlyUS

Any other amateur or semi pro, or fully pro photographers wanna give this one a shot?

I would add "Coindude" to the list :boo: .

Thanks for the encouragement, Bob. I'm my biggest critic.

The subject coin looks challenging. Plus, I don't have much experience with Barbers!

Lance.