• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Morgan Silver Dollar

21 posts in this topic

thanks James! I had this coin since I was a kid (over 30 yrs) - got it from my dad. I have never really looked into its value but based on what I seen in the red book, it looks like it might be worth around $60 - Is this a somewhat close assessment based on the images? I am trying to learn how to value coins so that when I purchase one, I don't over pay (by too much).

hahahaha - thanks Mayer! Much appreciated. It has really been my favorite coin. Not sure why - just a nice coin - pretty good shape. Just love silver coins is all. Also looking to get some gold but with prices so high for gold, I will probably never be able to afford any.

hahahaha - thanks Mayer! Much appreciated. It has really been my favorite coin. Not sure why - just a nice coin - pretty good shape. Just love silver coins is all. Also looking to get some gold but with prices so high for gold, I will probably never be able to afford any.

Actually, it's in very poor shape and would only receive a details grade from a grading service. The Mint struck almost 45 million of the 1921 and it is pretty easy to find them in MS64. If it's any consolation, the price of silver is rising.

Chris

Just a common Morgan by standards and basically market value of silver. With this being said you can just leave it as is. If it were mine I would probably dip the thing and throw it in an airtite and just forget about it. The pics make it look like it was dipped to death at one point already but they may be the scans.

1921 P is not only common, it is THE MOST common Morgan that there is out there. It looks like is in about VF 20 condition---not that great. It is, no doubt, a purely sentimental piece for you.

what is all that black stuff? I want it to be nice and shinny - etc. Maybe that is not needed. Also - did you look at the date? is that double struck? Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this. thanks.

That's actually an halo effect from the black crud around the date, which makes it appear as though it's double struck.

I agree with the others on leaving it as is.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It looks like I have a long way to go when evaluating coins!!

At least you had the forsight to ask before doing anything. There are thousands if not 10's of thousands of coins ruined every year by people who think that a coin looks dirty and could use a little polishing up before selling.

When if comes to cleaning or otherwise altering a coin, it's best when in doubt to leave it alone, and even if not in doubt to get a second or third opinion.

Jack,

According to Q. David Bowers in his Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars the optimal collecting grade for the 1921 is MS65. The coin I've posted below isn't a 1921, but it is graded by PCGS MS65. In MS65, a 1921 Morgan would be worth about $150. In MS64, it would only be worth about $50. As you can see, there is a considerable difference between the condition of yours and that of the one I've posted.

Chris

105941.jpg.595bc6182b8853e535eac08a725c6317.jpg

105942.jpg.5976d5539b40e05ff47bb826ebd1571e.jpg

Looks like maybe a pocket piece condidate, it has that sentimental value and carrying it in your pocket won't really hurt it any.