• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coinbuf

Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Recent Profile Visitors

5,531 profile views
  1. PCGS will accept ANACS coins for crossover attempts and will assign the same grade if 1) you indicate on the submission form cross at same grade only, and 2) if the graders at PCGS agree with the grade assigned by ANACS. NGC does not accept crossovers from any other TPG except PCGS, so you would have to crack these coins out and submit them raw to NGC. From the photos I also do not see any chance that you would be successful at either NGC or PCGS in getting a FS or FBL designation.
  2. In my opinion none are worth getting graded with the exception of the possible strike through coin (sample) #2. That might barely be worth the cost if designated as a mint error by NGC, but even that one I would likely just sell raw. NGC only recognizes a single RPM for 1964-D cents and none of your coins appear to be a match from the closeups; overall the condition of each coin is that of low mint state or AU (almost uncirculated). This is a very common coin as the mint produced millions and they were saved in large quantities by the roll and bag. Aside from the possible strike through coin these coins are only worth $.50 each at the very most, dealers would pay a nickel each if they are in a generous mood.
  3. The top coin may indeed be a legit strike through debris, it's hard to say for sure with photos taken while the coin is in a 2x2. Really an in hand look would be best to determine if any metal is piled up along the edges from an impact after the coin was minted. As it looks legit from what I can see it is a true mint error, but I agree that it is very minor, usually minor errors like this also have minor added value, less than $20 dollars would be my best guess. I also agree with Sandon that the second coin looks to just be a carbon/corrosion spot and not a strike through.
  4. Well should I be gentle or not. Ok the good, at $25 you paid basically melt, so if silver spot continues to rise, as some are thinking it will; you have an opportunity to resell in the near future and make a couple of bucks on it; which could possibly turn it into a good bullion play. The bad, if silver spot drops you are left holding the bag. The ugly, well that is obvious, this is one fugly coin with issues. There is no real reason to try and grade this coin, it has AU details from what I can see, however, the spots and what appears to be some active corrosion/PVC make it a details coin at best. I would highly recommend that you take it out of that 2X2 and give it an acetone bath to remove any PVC or active gunk that may be hiding in those corrosion spots. Throw that 2X2 away and get a new one so as not to transfer anything to the post acetone coin. I would also recommend that you pay close attention to silver spot and unload this as soon as you see the spot price rise a few dollars. In this condition the coin will never have any numismatic value, it will always just be a bullion play type of coin.
  5. What is a "De Date"??? Nver heard that coin term before. Just another example of how a microscope leads people down useless rabbit holes.
  6. Welcome to the forum, while the NGC representatives cannot provide you any advice the collectors and dealers that are the membership of this board can and will provide you feedback from your photos. However, you need to post your questions in the newbie section of this forum, there your questions will be seen by a far greater number of the forum membership. Thanks for providing both the obv and rev photos mostly cropped and close to a straight orientation, many do not. From your photos you appear to have a well circulated bronze small date of which the US mint made millions in 1982, the lack of a mintmark means this coin was minted at the Philadelphia mint. A weight to two decimal places would be needed to confirm if you have the bronze or zinc core type of coin, both were struck by the US mint in 1982. You did not ask but the value of such a coin is just face value, too many were produced and saved for circulated examples to have any value over face value. I do not see any visible errors on this coin.
  7. Yes, while the market overall favored blast white 30 or so years ago, and many still do, there have always been toned coins and those that preferred toned.
  8. Exactly, @Sandon truly you know that the "best" almost always costs more, even if its not that much better. I personally don't think of BMW as a top quality car, but nobody is selling them for Yugo prices, just as nobody is selling floor seats at nosebleed prices. The best coins have always commanded top prices, that was true before TPG's and it is still true today. Yes I get what you are saying, but like it or not using the TPG grade to determine price is a very logical way for the market to consume TPG graded coins. The current market is driven by what that little paper tag says, especially so at the tip of the spear where all the whales are feeding. Coins like this are bought up by the registry players who are more driven by top pops (even if they are not) than anything else. This particular half is a technical MS65 or MS64 to my eye, but color and eye appeal (however you define that) are what drive the market, and PCGS has always been very much in love with both color and luster.
  9. PCGS has had a lot of turnover with graders from what I have read/heard, in fact they have the most junior grading staff of any TPG. It's very likely that the graders that saw it between the Jan and May auctions were not the same that originally graded it MS66.
  10. No more like 3 months, it sold as MS66 in Jan of 24, then again in May at the new higher grade. What we don't know is how many times it was resubmitted between the Jan auction to the May result, my guess is this was over two show submissions, but no way to know for sure.
  11. No only the submitter and PCGS knows exactly when the coin was graded as MS66, however, we don't need to see the rev to know the holder generation. It's a 6.1 holder used from late 2020 to current. I can tell that from the little NFC symbol in the bottom left (viewers left) corner of the obv holder, only the most current generation holder uses the NFC technology.
  12. Yes the pricing is very fair for the most part, I have not been following that group for very long myself, and I have not bought anything from anyone there either. I started to look at that group and others both on FB and platforms like insta about a month ago. I have always known that ebay sellers have to upcharge their coins due to the fees, especially true if an ebay seller doesn't have an ebay store. But I was surprised at how many coins are being sold on these social media platforms and how much more reasonable the prices are in many cases. Obviously doing business with a seller on one of these platforms doesn't have to involve going around paypal, some will take checks or money orders, many do take paypal goods and services (just with the added 4% for fees), and some are even willing to do layaways. I was just giving you some additional data points on where the market for gold is outside of the standard commercial outlets, it never hurts to have options and data before you attempt to do some buying. Actually, several of the sellers on that FB group do sell on ebay, just at higher prices. If you saw something that really piqued your interest you might be able to arrange a payment solution that works for you both. But however it happens I hope you find one that you will be happy with.
  13. There are many really nice 24's, currently on a facebook group for pre 33 gold two reputable sellers have sweet MS64's for sale. One is NGC with CAC green bean priced at $2,585, the other is in a CAC MS64 holder at $2,560. So be sure to shop around, there are some really good coins at great prices outside of a brick and mortar shop.