• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Neat Medal Mike and great history behind it. Thanks for the compliments T.J.

Here is another new addition with the Railroad theme. On May 18th, 1917 the Selective Service began the "Call To The Colors" for World War I. The medal depicts a U.S. Soldier bidding goodbye to his loved ones at the Railway Station.

(another cameo proof encased so apologies for not removing, didn't want to risk it)

Rey

TrainStation1917Obv.jpg

TrainStation1917Rev.jpg

Nice medals guys, I think The Order of the Crown of Italy takes the cake, makes me not even want to show mine! I just received this about two weeks ago from my father in law, who received it from his father in his passing, so I was proud to take this commemorative and maybe someday hand it off to my son, keep it in the family!! It also has a portfolio with it, pretty nice.

42595-medalo.jpg.0772ce3736fecb0b80a669922885abf5.jpg

42596-medalr.jpg.f0f5b6f069bb4070374260d59c32ae24.jpg

Here is one of my recent acquisitions, related to Trains. Commemorating the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869.

Rey

TranscontinentalObv.jpg

TranscontinentalRev.jpg

This is a very neat medal, Rey. Can you tell us more about it? When was it minted, where and what is it's composition?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am unsure of where it was minted, trying to determine that actually. It was minted in 1969 and is supposed to be a brass/copper composition.

Rey

Here is one of my recent acquisitions, related to Trains. Commemorating the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869.

Rey

This is a very neat medal, Rey. Can you tell us more about it? When was it minted, where and what is it's composition?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I am unsure of where it was minted, trying to determine that actually. It was minted in 1969 and is supposed to be a brass/copper composition.

Rey

This is one of a set of 60 So-Called Dollars issued by the Longines Symphonette Society and produced by the Wittnauer Mint during the 1970s as part of the Great American Triumphs series celebrating 200 years of American accomplishments. The artist and engraver is Joseph DiLorenzo and his JDL initials can be seen on the lower right of the obverse on the railroad track plank. Like many SCDs, these were made in a variety of metals and seem to come in gold on silver, .999 silver, .925 silver, pewter and bronze which are listed on Frank's buy page. SGS attribution and part of the original packaging are shown below. Nice medal Rey, Joseph DiLorenzo did excellent work on these :)

LSS_Medal_S_Transcontinental-Railroad-1869_SGS_fab.jpg

LSS_Whittnauer_GAT.jpg

Here's a train one. Unfortunately I don't have my CSNA medals list handy so I can't look up the designer atm. Makes me wish I added his/their names to the top of this one when I had it.

CSNA_1996_ABronze-Medal_Chinese-Build-Californias-Railroad_600x300.jpg

Zoins,

Thank you so much for the detailed information about the medal. That is why these boards are fantastic. I have been searching. Your's is very nice as well. Let me know if you ever want to send it down the tracks so to speak.

It is interesting that the Chinese also were responsible for the majority of the labor for the Trans Canada Railway as well. I posted two 8 Dollar Canadian Coins commemorating that completion which honored the Chinese Workers involvement in the World forum.

Thanks,

Rey

Morgan Man,

That Dcarr medal is sold out on his website. You didn't pick up an extra you'd like to part with did you? --Jerry

No, just got one. Wish I had more....

MM (shrug)

Earlier in a different thread my daughter sitting behind me saw a coin she loved, now my son who is playing on the floor just yelled I like the train coin. Thanks Larry now I'll probably have to get a train coin. lol

I like this Louisiana Purchase Sesquicentennial not only because it is made of copper but also because it was produced in "coin turn".

42801-IMG_1737.JPG.c75d9eff5c9e6c848d471f538407d007.JPG

42802-IMG_1738.JPG.d780b5051c6e3ec9d82aafb1b35d878f.JPG

Rey,

I saw your two $8 Canadian coins in the World forum. Those are pretty neat. I didn't realize that the Chinese also worked on the Canadian-Pacific Railway. It's interesting that the RCM is catering to Chinese collectors by making the Chinese-oriented coins with $8 face value, like the sold out 2007 dragon cash coin with the square in it. The number 8 is significant to the Chinese so it's interesting to see that kind of marketing.

I like the railroad themed collection you are building. It's a cool way to collect (thumbs u

The CSNA medal is in my CNSA collection. I'm not trying to get them all, but just pick up a few of the more interesting pieces here and there when they become available.

Nice medals/SCDs Larry and Chris!

Earlier in a different thread my daughter sitting behind me saw a coin she loved, now my son who is playing on the floor just yelled I like the train coin. Thanks Larry now I'll probably have to get a train coin. lol

Well you need to buy that young man a train coin. :grin:

Well you need to buy that young man a train coin. :grin:

Yeah, I probably will as soon as I find one, the boy loves trains!!

I agree MM he does some Beautiful work. :cloud9: (thumbs u

Thanks !

Sorry I don't have any more of the 2006-D Denver Mint so-called dollars (except a couple for myself :) ).

Welcome to this side of the street David.

Thanks !

Not sure why I never visited here much before, but I'll be around.

PS:

"Daniel" Carr

Thanks !

PS:

"Daniel" Carr

Sorry Dan.... I got football on the brain! lol

Whoa Larry,

That is a very, very nice looking piece. Boy oh boy. Instead of me asking the obvious question just PM me if you ever want to part with it.

Lem,

Trains and Coins have always been two of the more popular hobbies as far as collecting goes. That is why coins are sometimes so unique, in this case the joy of both interests can be satisfied. I am diligently looking at and aquiring railroad associated coins/tokens. I would be happy to and honored to help you and your son go down that same direction. Please let me know if and when I can help.

Rey

Thanks !

PS:

"Daniel" Carr

Sorry Dan.... I got football on the brain! lol

Ahh yes...

I see you are from Texas. Broncos country up here.

Thanks !

Sorry I don't have any more of the 2006-D Denver Mint so-called dollars (except a couple for myself :) ).

Hi, Daniel! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Did I miss something.........2006-D Denver Mint SCD?

Chris

Thanks !

Hi, Daniel! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Did I miss something.........2006-D Denver Mint SCD?

Chris

Last year I made some in brass, silver, palladium, & gold.

Here is the brass one:

c_0011BP_384.JPG

Here are the mintage stats for the different types:

2006 Denver Mint Centennial medals

Those are really cool, Daniel. Do you have your own equipment to strike these medals, or do you just submit the designs to another firm for production? All that detail must be quite time consuming. Do you use a CADD program to assist you in the initial design work?

Chris (thumbs u