• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Just a few guesses:

>The arch to the left of the train represents Paris (Arc de Triomphe?)

>The hillside to the right of the train represents the Pyrenees Mountains which separate Spain from France.

>The allegorical figure on the left represents Marianne, the symbol of France.

>You are probably correct that the shields represent the major cities the railroad passes through. Although I have no medals from these particular cities, I do have some where a specific shield represented a particular city.

Chris

Thanks for the comments. So far I have found out the following about this medal, but am continuing to research more.

(Edited to add after posting - Chris I posted this before I read your post above - you may be correct about the Arch and the Mountains, I just can't find specific references to the design, but it would make sense since Spain is depicted on the right and France on the left with the figures, etc.)

Bronze and "other" metal composition. Minted in 1855, obverse designed by A.A. Bovy and Reverse designed by E.O. Odine. The medal commemorates the completion of the Paris to Spain Railway which is actually one of six medals that were struck during this time to commemorate the contribution of Napoleon III to the railway system in France. With his leadership as well as cooperation from local governments and the banks he expanded the railway system from 3600 km to 17,000 as of 1869.

The obverse is just the bust of Napoleon and acknowledges him as Emporer. The reverse shows a train crossing a bridge simulating the journey from Spain to Paris going from right to left. The landscape/skylines as far as I can discover are only a representation and not a depicting real structures, etc. The two female allegorical figures represent France on the left and Spain on the right. The Spain figure has reference to the Discovery of America in 1492 as well as three of Spain's greatest painters/artists. Valesquez, Murillo and Zurbar.

The medal was issued the year of one of the Universal Exposition's in Paris. The official theme of this Exposition was Agriculture, Industry and Art. The medal recognizes Mr. Pierre Magne who was the Minister of Agriculture, Commerce and Public Works in Paris from 1852 to 1858.

I am still exploring the specific coat of arms. I am also now looking for the other five Railway Medals of Napoleon, Railroad from Paris in Chartres, Turn in Angers, Paris with Epernay and Paris with Tonnerre, Circular railway of Paris, Railroad from Paris in Strasbourg, Railroad of the West, and the Left bank, circular railway of Paris.

Rey, I have some other medals that were designed by Bovy and Oudine and I really appreciate their artistry. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll send you a couple of sites that might give you more information. It's very possible that Oudine designed some of the other railway medals that you are seeking.

Chris

Four of the other five were designed by Bovy with one of those four having Merley contribute and Merley designing the fifth alone. At this point I have no idea how scarce they are. I do know that another bidder on this one that is extremely heavily into medals, had not come across this one before and was politely and professionally upset he didn't get it.

Any information you can send would be great.

Thanks,

Rey

I had to go back see what you were talking about Rey. My computer crashed on me the other day and just now got it working good again. Was able to post a little at work. That is a nice Napoleon Medal Rey!!

Four of the other five were designed by Bovy with one of those four having Merley contribute and Merley designing the fifth alone. At this point I have no idea how scarce they are. I do know that another bidder on this one that is extremely heavily into medals, had not come across this one before and was politely and professionally upset he didn't get it.

Thanks,

Rey

I forgot to ask if there are any markings on the rim to indicate the composition. I am assuming that it was struck at the Paris Mint.

Chris

That is a nice medal, Larry! Is there any significance for the crescent moon on the reverse?

Chris

It took me a while to find the answer.

The stern of the replica ship had a yellow crescent moon with the profile of the “Man in the moon” in it.

Found this image.

ship6.jpg

Thanks,

Rey

I forgot to ask if there are any markings on the rim to indicate the composition. I am assuming that it was struck at the Paris Mint.

Chris

Chris,

The edge has the pointing hand which the Paris Mint used from 1845 to 1860. Followed by the word Cuivre which is Copper. I was misinformed when I indicated Bronze earlier. Apparently the Paris Mint did a lot of experimenting with the Bronze and Copper and even added a material that gave the Copper Medals a Chocolate Patina - just like this one.

Rey

I love ship coins..this is my first post to the chat boards {although I write in the Collectors Society Journals-even won an award, go figure} the crescent moon is actually a symbol for the name of the ship the Halfmoon, which was the ship sailed here by Hendrick Hudson. The early US commem also has the Halfmoon ship and a crescent moon in the sky...here's a nice so-called dollar I picked up. Celebrating Delawares 300th anniversary of founding back in 1938...

45358-MVC-282S.JPG.72b06839a4de8c5bd07cd335686f2c76.JPG

45359-MVC-283S.JPG.0df8f868b64eb768a1e68878552f6b45.JPG

I love ship coins..this is my first post to the chat boards {although I write in the Collectors Society Journals-even won an award, go figure} the crescent moon is actually a symbol for the name of the ship the Halfmoon, which was the ship sailed here by Hendrick Hudson. The early US commem also has the Halfmoon ship and a crescent moon in the sky...here's a nice so-called dollar I picked up. Celebrating Delawares 300th anniversary of founding back in 1938...

That's a neat item, Jackson64. I was born and raised in Delaware. That piece was also issued in a much larger size in bronze and in silver. I have the large bronze piece, but I have never even seen large silver piece much less seen it offered for sale. I'd pay a good price for one if I happened to see it.

The original issue price was $2.50 for the large bronze and $7.50 for the large silver. The smaller piece that you own sold for 50 cents. Believe it or not those pieces were still available from the state for just 50 cents as late as 1959. I bought one on my 5th grade field trip to the state capital in Dover when my class toured the John Dickenson Mansion.

Other numismatic and exonumismatic items that were sold at the same time were the Delaware commemorative half dollar (issue price $1.75), a Swedish 2 kronor (issue price $1.00) and two really neat Swedish medals in bronze and silver. I’ve got all of them except that big silver piece.

Here is the Swedish medalet, which is about the same size as the piece you purchased.

SwedDelMedalO.jpgSwedDelMedalR.jpg

I also own both the Delaware Commem and the Swedish 2 kronor coins {check out my Signature Set High Seas at the registry-user name Jackson} I would love to have one of those Swedish bronze medalet..absolutely gorgeous..if you know where one could be found or think that you might part with that one contact me via the collectors Society "contact member " link..or I'll check this board periodically.

Also I purchased the 1907 Jamestown Tercentennary Gilt SC$ this year for my sailing ship set and would like either the copper or silver if anyone knows where one may be found...

Jackson64, here are those sailing ships I mentioned. Sorry I took so long to post them. Note: The bluish tinge you see is from the light and not on the medals.

Chris

45504-IMG_1870.JPG.c545f766d1953ad827e32779ab3ef43c.JPG

45505-IMG_1871.JPG.112badb6c7d3029d0f9d12f9ac5ae314.JPG

45506-IMG_1872.JPG.b070daab0b007dc778ad675d498bdc19.JPG

45507-IMG_1873.JPG.5dd302b9b1a9f3d543675005e3881934.JPG

45508-IMG_1874.JPG.983eb769534f6a42f2d677fd6b5b1f48.JPG

45509-IMG_1875.JPG.dba17885ccdb6ba1ae6ae79adf5ccd08.JPG

45510-IMG_1876.JPG.7ab0ef2f891a3e2ef08966877b5ef02d.JPG

45511-IMG_1877.JPG.804d235e545d6f79232cc985b373da47.JPG

absolutely fantastic medals...I am going to have to expand my searches for ship coins/medals/tokens. I started just collecting the early US commems with ships....furthered the set to include any moderns and state quarters with ships, then the set exploded in size when I started adding world coins to the theme...and in the last 6 months I have started adding SC$'s tokens and medals. I hate to say it as a coin collector but the medals for the most part are far superior in design and artistry. I look forward to years of hunting and adding these coins to my collection....thanks 9ball for the great pics...here are 3 medals I just got and plan on slabbing to add to my Signature Set..

45514-MVC-286S.JPG.66ade7b344d848504777d205a657a5b0.JPG

45515-MVC-287S.JPG.83773d1acf091bb017d2cf451d7dedc1.JPG

45516-MVC-288S.JPG.bd44420ee91c2ce5c7921d5fac12cbde.JPG

Thanks, Jackson. Your Constellation is really nice. Is it in copper or bronze?

The "Tall Ships" outside of New York City for the Bicentennial celebration reminded me of their departure from Baltimore. The Rte. 50 bridge across the Chesapeake from Annapolis to Kent Island was closed that day so people could view the ships from above as they headed for the Atlantic and their voyage north to New York City. It was an awesome sight!

Chris

This arrived from France today, and it is the latest addition to my medal collection. The plaquette measures 42mm x 60mm and is silvered bronze. It was designed by Oscar Roty (1846-1911) in 1880. On the front is Marianne, the symbol of France, and on the back is Minerva & Vulcan.

If any one is interested, there is a wonderful site where you can not only view another just like this and others by Roty, but also the designs of many other well-known medallists.

www.finemedals.com

Chris

Don't you think it would help if I added the photos!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

45608-IMG_1878.JPG.e6e2e2a7160d1cd8e4b38816fc96c679.JPG

45609-IMG_1879.JPG.cb6bd285b3a78eabdbdc108a49d3ba30.JPG

Looks like I missed a couple of these. Nice medals there Jrocco and Bill. Lots of nice ship designs there Jackson & Chris!! All very nice medals!!

Very Nice Chris - a fabulous depiction of Marianne {I'd like to see any others you have with her depicted}, We seem to carry similar interests. Did you mention you were from Maryland also? Anyhow if you check out my registry sets, I have a non-competetive Signature Set of the complete collection of Marianne and rooster 20 FCS gold pieces from 1899-1914. I bought them because of the Marianne obverse design is wonderful. My wife is also named Marianne-even spelled the same way. You can view that set if you wish in the registry--my username is Jackson and it's under my signature sets. Anyhow, here is a medal I just got today {only $12 plus postage} the bicentennial tribute from the National Governors Conference--Maryland edition....gotta love blue crabs, oysters and sailing... (thumbs u

45647-MVC-294S.JPG.82a2e667b20c8749b1f11b32a508f27b.JPG

45648-MVC-295S.JPG.573580d91c5f21b4ad6ac1f7475d8703.JPG

45649-MVC-296S.JPG.e63d1fac97c9a616589716275887c552.JPG

yes a nice silver medal, and I forgot to answer Chris about the Constellation medal..it's actually a copper coin made from the metal from the hull of the original ship..pretty cool..

yes a nice silver medal, and I forgot to answer Chris about the Constellation medal..it's actually a copper coin made from the metal from the hull of the original ship..pretty cool..

(thumbs u (thumbs u

Yes, I'm from Maryland.

I have quite a few French medals with depictions of Marianne. If you search "Marianne" with my username for the last two years or so, you'll see some of them. Also, you should check out that website I mentioned, www.finemedals.com There are probably quite a few there.

Chris

Very Nice Chris - a fabulous depiction of Marianne {I'd like to see any others you have with her depicted}, We seem to carry similar interests. Did you mention you were from Maryland also? Anyhow if you check out my registry sets, I have a non-competetive Signature Set of the complete collection of Marianne and rooster 20 FCS gold pieces from 1899-1914. I bought them because of the Marianne obverse design is wonderful. My wife is also named Marianne-even spelled the same way. You can view that set if you wish in the registry--my username is Jackson and it's under my signature sets. Anyhow, here is a medal I just got today {only $12 plus postage} the bicentennial tribute from the National Governors Conference--Maryland edition....gotta love blue crabs, oysters and sailing... (thumbs u

Did you know that Supertooth lives on the Eastern Shore? I had the opportunity to visit him last November while I was in the D.C. area, and yes, we sat at the table and ate blue crabs. (thumbs u

Chris

I forgot to answer Chris about the Constellation medal..it's actually a copper coin made from the metal from the hull of the original ship..pretty cool..
The ship from which the token was made served as the US flagship for Admiral Ernest J. King and Vice Admiral Royal Ingersoll during 6 months of WWII. For most of WWII, she was a reserve flagship but served in active duty for the six months.

The token is made from copper spikes from the side of the ship. It's a token (vs. medal) because it was used as a life-time pass to visit the ship after the restoration was completed. I'm not sure if you can still use it for that purpose or not and if the right is transferable or not.

Thanks, Bobby! Yes, the relief makes it almost jump out at you. Jackson64 said he would like to see some of my other specimens of Marianne, so I'm going to post them in a separate thread as soon as I get all of them photographed.

Chris

Thanks zoins for the info on my constellation TOKEN. I'll make sure that when I get it slabbed to put in my sig set of sailing ship coins/tokens/medals that I get them to attribute it as a token...and Chris those Mariannes are just superb...I love the second one-it does look 3D and I noticed the bottom one is the exact portrait/bust from the Marianne/rooster gold 20 FCS coins...I really would love to find one of those to go with my 1899-1914 set...

Here's an ANA medal I just got --it's from a Maryland {Baltimore} ANA anniversary convention in 1985...with Lord Calvert on the front {I live in Calvert county} and the ship Constellation on the reverse - with a price of only $5 + shipping it was an easy pick for me..

46115-MVC-322S.JPG.731429ac3656ba98d8efc35137e89ae9.JPG

46116-MVC-323S.JPG.d0c1f5f4ca2b17f3340b1e0eee72f301.JPG

Let me add this one here. This is an 1874 Pope Pius medal with a rather nicely detailed reverse design.

Looking at this you would think this was a great big part of the design of this medal.

Even the steps are detailed and in full relief.

popepius1.jpg

Pulling back a bit you can see that this is just a piece of the larger design. Note the detail on the wall engravings in this "church"

popepius3.jpg

Back a little further and you can see that this throne is set well back in the interior of the church. Note the detail on the pillars.

popepius4.jpg

Looking up at the roof of the church you really get the sense that you are IN the church looking up at the detailed ceiling.

popepius5.jpg

The detail on the pillars in amazing.

popepius2.jpg

You get the feeling you could just step into the medal. The detail goes beyond the pillars to the walls behind.

popepius6.jpg

The reverse in its entirety.

popepiusrev1.jpg

...I noticed the bottom one is the exact portrait/bust from the Marianne/rooster gold 20 FCS coins...I really would love to find one of those to go with my 1899-1914 set....

It was also used for the 1900 International Exposition, and was designed by Jules-Clement Chaplain, 1839-1909. Attached is a photo of the reverse of mine. The diameter is 64mm. I just wish that I could capture the toning like some of our other members. The irridescent hues are beautiful.

This medal has been listed on eBay several times since I purchased mine in 2005. As a matter of fact, one surfaced within the last two weeks, but the condition wasn't as good. If you want to search for this medal on eBay, I'd suggest that you use "1900 Exposition Universelle Internationale". You'll probably get "hits" on other exposition medals, but this is about as narrow a search as you can get.

Chris

46118-IMG_1917.JPG.a4fa2135867cea900ff7cb2ed7373753.JPG