• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

That's pretty cool token there carl. Is it Gold?

I wish it was Bobby. No it is brass. I like it because it kind of looks like the $50.00 slugs which bring mega bucks.

Hi, Everyone hi.gif

I don't bank at this bank but I did pick-up this token somewhere! smirk.gif

This token is about the size of a silver eagle but it is not silver!

AAJ

wfm.jpg

wfmr.jpg

Nice octagonal SCDs 123cents and John! They are a fun group to collect.

One thing I've noticed about octagonals is that they seem to not photograph well in NGC slabs where the corners meet the slab, kind of like small coins in NGC slabs.

I came across this medal today while going through my father's antique light bulb collection - Centennial of Light - Thomas Alva Edison - Wizard of Menlo Park. This is a different one than I had previously posted at one time or another, this one is approximately 3 inches in diameter. I am also attaching a picture of some of his light bulbs as an added image.

Edison made his first successful incandescent lamp on October 21, 1879 in a small wooden workshop in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thus began what is now today a multi-billion dollar industry. The first public exhibition of incandescent lighting occurred at Menlo Park in December 1879. Overhead wires were run from Edison's laboratory to several houses and to street- lights on poles. About sixty lamps were operated at this time. The first lights used had a carbonized paper filament and were made by hand in the laboratory. After that filaments were made of various materials including Bamboo, cellulose, carbon, tantalum and tungsten.

Rey

CentennialofLightMedalObv-1.jpg

CentennialofLightMedalRev.jpg

IncandescentLamps.jpg

Part 3 of 3 of the assay medals.

Last time we left off at 1964. Now we jump into the 1970's the final decade for these medals, since the commission was abolished.

The first piece shown here is the 1974 medal. This is the first assay medal to be made in pewter, and perhaps the best designed of the later series. The obverse is closely modeled on the Washington Before Boston medal, while the reverse is new. Based on the history of this medal, I believe this specimen was given to the Chief Coiner of the Philadelphia Mint at the time, Francis Breen. The diameter is 57mm.

acm-1974-pwt.jpg

Next is the 1975 medal, the final bronze Assay medal. It also contains a rare medallic depiction of then-president Gerald Ford. This medal was issued to Assay Commissioner Edward J Black, whose name is inscribed on the top of the reverse. This is not the usual place for inscriptions; they have typically been on the top of the edge.

acm-1975-scan.jpg

Next is the 1976 medal, in pewter for this year. This is the final year in which members of the general public were able to become Assay Commissioners. The reverse design of Washington crossing the Delaware was used as the basis of the New Jersey state quarter. This medal was given to Mark Hatfield, then a US Senator from Oregon (and a former governor). It is also etched with the signature of its engraver, Frank Gasparro. The medal measures approximately 60x76mm.

acm-1976-scan.jpg

Finally is the 1877 Assay Commission medal, the last one in the series. This is also the only Assay medal to be (officially) sold to the public, and so is also easily the most available and least expensive.

acm-1977-scan.jpg

Here is a new medal that was a gift from Conquerer (John).....Thank you

Pewter reproduction of medal awarded to General Anthony Wayne for the assault on Stony Poing on the Hudson River in 1779. French engraver Nicolas Maire Gatteaux esigned the original gold medal. The obverse is inscribed, in Latin, "The American Congress to General Anthony Wayne." America, an Indian Queen with a bow, an alligator and the American shield at her feet, presents to Wayne a laurel wreath and a mural crown. The reverse is a view of both sides of the Hudson, showing Point Fort in the distance, a battery and troops in the foreground, and six ships on the river. In Latin the inscription reads, "Stony Point carried by Storm" and below is the date July 15, 1779.

The battle at Stony Point was the last important military action of the revolutionary war in the northern theater. It enabled General Washington to tighten his grip on the Hudson and especially on West Point, "the key to the continent." Wayne and his troops moved in after dark to regain Stoney Point on July 15 with unloaded muskets and with orders to use the bayonet, within 20 minutes the fort had been secured. Wayne received a flesh wound in the head but continued the battle. Before the battle he is quoted as telling George Washington "General, if you will only plan it, I will storm Hell!" He ws given the nickname Mad Anthony.

Rey

StoneyPointObv.jpg

StoneyPointRev.jpg

Here is one of my recent acquisitions, related to Trains. Commemorating the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869.

Rey

TranscontinentalObv.jpg

TranscontinentalRev.jpg

How about this kind of medal? Or is this disqualified????

You can't get disqualified in this thread. The guy that started it is a bit crazy but he loves cool stuff. :grin:

Please tell us about the medal. :)

Great image Rey. You are really getting good at this.

Mike,

That is very interesting looking medal, is it German, is it from one of the wars?

Thanks Bobby, Irvin and Larry, yep back home.

Rey

It's easier if I just take it out of Wikipedia.org:

The Order of the Crown of Italy (Ordine della Corona d'Italia) was an Order (decoration) conferred by the Kingdom of Italy. Established by King Victor Emmanuel II on 20 February 1868 to commemorate the Italian unification, the Order was awarded for civilian and military merit. Compared with the older Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus, the Order of the Crown of Italy was awarded more liberally, and could be conferred to non-Catholics as well; eventually, it became a requirement for a person to have already received the Order of the Crown of Italy before receiving the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus. After Italy became a republic in 1946, the Order was effectively replaced by the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic; the House of Savoy in exile continued to confer the Order for many years, although it is no longer conferred following the death of King Umberto II on 18 March 1983. It was replaced by the Order of Civil Merit of Savoy (Ordine del Merito civile di Savoia).

Grades

The Order had five classes:

Knight of the Grand Cross, which wore the badge on a sash on the right shoulder, plus the star on the left chest;

Grand Officer, which wore the star on the left chest;

Commander, which wore the badge on a necklet;

Officer, which wore the badge on a ribbon with a rosette on the left chest;

Knight, which wore the badge on a ribbon on the left chest.

Insignia

The badge of the Order was a gilt cross with curved edges, enamelled in white, with the so-called Savoy knots between the arms of the cross. The obverse central disc featured the Iron Crown (as appeared on the Austrian Order of the Iron Crown) on a blue enamel backbround. The reverse central disc had a black-enamelled eagle bearing the coat-of-arms of Italy on a golden background.

The star of the Grand Cross was an eight-pointed faceted silver star; the central disc featured the Iron Crown on a blue enamelled background, surrounded by a white enamel ring bearing the legend "VICT. EMMAN. II REX ITALIA MDCCCLXVI" (Victor Emmanuel II, King of Italy, 1866). There was a black-enamelled eagle bearing the coat-of-arms of Italy at the top of the star.

The star of the Grand Officer was an eight-pointed faceted silver star with ball tips at each point, and with the obverse of the badge superimposed upon it.

The ribbon of the Order was red-white-red.

______

I don't have the ribbon, unfortunately.