• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a medal or a token.

385 posts in this topic

Wow, that is a nice jeton, Rey! Would you mind telling me the name of the seller? I may want to see if they have anything for me.

Chris

numismatica_borealis is the seller. Another case where last second bidding won the auction. After a few nervous seconds though.

Thanks Chris,

Rey

This is officially the smallest medal in my collection at 26.5mm. It is made from copper and was struck in 1845 to commemorate the unveiling of the monument in the city of Lille.

In 1792, in the aftermath of the French Revolution, the Austrians laid siege to the city. The French refused to surrender and the Austrians withdrew after eight days of bombarding the city. The "Column of the Goddess" was erected in 1842 as a tribute to the city's resistance.

Chris

49647-_MG_2080.JPG.4e354e22da6809eb92be772ae3da9a76.JPG

49648-_MG_2081.JPG.6400bff6e606bc25241e339281f1b7ef.JPG

My latest addition to my Medal collection.

Obv: Female figure standing between coats of arms of Paris and Orleans; behind two steam locomotives.

Rev: Inscription within an oak and laurel wreath: CHEMIN DE FER DE PARIS A ORLEANS. LOI DU 7 JUILLET 1838. Silver. 37 mm (octagonal piece).

By A. Bovy.

Edge stamped: BEE with ARGENT. Light tone. The railroad line was completed in 1843 and owned by a private company created by the law of July 1838.

Seller's pics. I had missed out on one of these awhile back so am excited to have this one.

Rey

1838ABovyObv.jpg

1838ABovyRev.jpg

Nice train medal. I like the design with the train and it's a argent octagonal to boot!

Been gone quite awhile since my 'hard times'. Didn't sell all my collection tho so was nice to find a thread I can post to first time back!! I've never been able to find any provenance for them so if anyone knows anything, sure would appreciate the info!

54740-M1o.jpg54741-M1r.jpg

54742-M2o.jpg54743-M2r.jpg

Been gone quite awhile since my 'hard times'. Didn't sell all my collection tho so was nice to find a thread I can post to first time back!! I've never been able to find any provenance for them so if anyone knows anything, sure would appreciate the info!

54740-M1o.jpg54741-M1r.jpg

54742-M2o.jpg54743-M2r.jpg

WELCOME BACK MAN!!! HOPE YOU START POSTING AGAIN!

I've often seen this medal posted and thought I'd share this one I spotted on a website.

Munsterkirche Zu Bonn Medal

Choice AU [uncertified]

One of the interesting series of 19th century Jacques Wiener cathedral medals featuring the exterior view on one side and a wild, three dimensional interior view on the other.

55875-MunsterkircheZuBonnMedalobv.jpg.7b1fbde370231c82ad1a4629da725d65.jpg

55876-Munsterkirche.jpg.4ea26a0c023e92c7645e7585c1d0ab03.jpg

<

Choice AU [uncertified]

One of the interesting series of 19th century Jacques Wiener cathedral medals featuring the exterior view on one side and a wild, three dimensional interior view on the other. >>

Amazing. This is a new area Im getting into. The cathedral medals some have posted are some of the most beautiful piece's I have ever seen!

Its amazing how much detail these things have on them. The depth and just over all quality!

Well I had to put some life back into this thread with my first ever purchase of Medals. Sorry for the quality of pics, but they are quick one's thru the cello.

2007Spousemedals-1.jpg

NIce Bobby,

I have been amazed at how medals have attracted my interests, there are so many varied themes to them. A nice set there.

Rey

Just noticed that this thread has not been added too since April, wow, I know a lot of nice medals are being posted out there under new acquisitions, etc. but here is a new post to revive this thread.

I posted the sellers images of this 1892 Commemorative of the 400th Anniversary of the Discovery of America under New Acquisitions last week. Recieved the piece today and although (as you can see) it has been through 116 years of wear and tear, it still is very interesting and appealing to me. Here are my images.

The medal is bronze and although the images may not show it there is some beautiful irredescent colors throughout the coin as well as some of the original bright bronze color coming through. Would this be a good candidate for NCS or is there something else I can do to bring out the life of the medal?

Also as a history note, on the reverse the phrase "United We Stand Divided We Fall" appears, it caused me to look into the origin of this phrase.

The phrase has been attributed to Aesop, both directly in his fable The Four Oxen and the Lion[1] and indirectly from The Bundle of Sticks[2].

The first attributed use in modern times is to John Dickinson in his revolutionary war song The Liberty Song. In the song, first published in the Boston Gazette in July 1768, he wrote: “Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall!”

Patrick Henry used the phrase in his last public speech, given in March 1799, in which he denounced The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions. Clasping his hands and waving his body back and forth, Henry declaimed, “Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.” At the end of his oration, Henry fell into the arms of bystanders and was carried almost lifeless into a nearby tavern. Two months afterward he was dead.

Thank you,

Rey

1892CommemorativeObv.jpg

1892CommemorativeRev.jpg

Rey, I believe that someone posted the same medal on another thread. It is an SCD, HK220 if I recall correctly.

Chris

A favorite design of mine by Pinches, 63mm in white metal. It has nothing to do with the US

but that hasn't kept it out of Hibler and Kappen!

20db_1_b.jpg

2151_1.jpg

(seller's pictures)

Great looking stuff guys (and girl)!

The Mississippi stuff that I collect isn't quite as nice as what has been posted, but I sure have lots of fun acquiring it. :)

Probably paid too much for this one, but I couldn't resist the obverse spelling error.

60180-000_0308.jpg.8808473791c8f443cbe19f5e1b2aa272.jpg

60181-000_0309a.jpg.dace9fb8d3c1b29c29e97cbcdbabf9ba.jpg

Here is another Mississippi piece - a Jefferson Davis medal in ultra high relief.

I love the obverse, but the reverse could have been improved IMO - especially the eagle.

60183-000_0316a.jpg.b8810b94f640e55b9379d554fba75302.jpg

60184-000_0318aa.jpg.1eb945ee1e3476eb8f18b9522dc5142a.jpg

Rey, I believe that someone posted the same medal on another thread. It is an SCD, HK220 if I recall correctly.

Chris

(thumbs u

there are 2 varieties :

HK-220 - Bronze. Size 23.

HK-220a - Bronze. Low Relief.

LIBERTY HEAD DOLLAR

Obverse: Liberty head, in high relief, facing to l.; below, W.M.— all within circle; stars outside around; below, 1892

Reverse: Scene depicting Landing of Columbus; below, 1492 — all within circle; outside, around Dedicated to the American People in Honor of the 400th Anniversary of the Discovery of America; below * United We Stand Divided We Fall *

HK-220 - Bronze. Size 23.

HK-220a - Bronze. Low Relief.

HK-221 - Gilt.

HK-222 - Aluminum.

HK-222a - Aluminum. Low Relief.

i love this token thread! ive been on the scd kick so ive been trying to see if any are listed :) i also ordered the scd book :)