• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the lead - Country, denomination, date or the profile on the Obverse.

257 posts in this topic

since nobody has posted on this thread in a while...I don't have any from Egypt (country) or obverse profile(Ramses) or even date (1957) of the last post--I do have another denomination though..here's another 1 pound coin...I figure that with the queen as the overse profile it will be easy for someone to follow this post :bump:

64811.jpg.efd06b74e5d52269f67e567e7246231a.jpg

64812.jpg.86577a0d2261ac5ff776810e14a6287d.jpg

A slightly older (1678) Netherlands 6 Stuiver silver coin with yet another ship.

And I do believe my ship is bigger than your ship!

This one graded only F-12 by NGC but it's a fairly rare date.....

1678-2.jpg

1678-1.jpg

1796 with a ship, a salmon and St. George.....

portsea-1.jpg

portsea-2.jpg

Here is Conder101's excellent comment on this token...

Hampshire 79

An interesting co-operative token used at three different taverns, The George owned by John Courtney, The Ship owned by Edward Frost, and the Brown Bear owned by S Salmon. Many tokens are redeemable at different locations or offices of a business, but I think this is the only one that was actually designed to be used by more than one business. The design reflects two of the businesses (St George and the Ship), and the third proprietor (the Salmon).

Mintage about 50,000

Easy summation:

The first ever corporation was the Dutch V.O.C. around 1602 for stock release until 1800s; aka the Dutch East Indies Trading Company. They made about 8300 voyages to from the current Jacarta or Java area and back to the Dutch Netherlands. In those trips they LOST some 246 ships over a two hundred year period when they finality went the of all corporations and went broke.

Many ships were lost due to war and many due to POOR piloting. Here are two with the second cause. Next Saturday I leave on the Holland America Line their Oosterdam and I shall have a "bit" of fun with these two coins since one especially is named the

Akerendam. The "dam" at the end means a passenger type ship I believe.

Enjoy:

b91724ducatwreckj

[img http://yfrog.com/ja1729ducatwreckj [/img]

One of my favorite Netherlands ducats with an interesting date...the year of the Great Fire Of London.

1666-1.jpg

1666-2.jpg

(NGC called this XF45, accurate if a tad conservative.)

Hopefully someone here can come up with another 1666 coin.

I have some china republic silver coins, they are different years. I have been looking them up for days now and im not seeing any fakes but can not be sure just yet. Have talked with some people i just wanted to see if any one might know some one that would like for pictures and see if i have over looked something. I also want to know if there is a way to talk to buyer with out going through acutions to sell the coins if they are real.

Are we on Austria? Here we go- Austria (Salzburg) 3 kreuzer, 1681, prooflike UNC! This one sure was a beauty. I've since sold it, but I enjoyed owning it for a little while.

WCA-Austria-Salzburg-3kr-1681-UNC.jpg