• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the lead - Country, denomination, date or the profile on the Obverse.

257 posts in this topic

The 1P and 2P pieces of 1797 of similar design were struck in a full 1 oz and 2 oz of copper, respectively. The 1P is about 36mm and 3+mm thick while the 2P is about 41mm and 5mm thick. (It's easy to see how they got edge bumps and nicks!) The 2P pieces resemble medals more than coins and some are a little too thick to be encapsulated by NGC. I've got an image of a 2P somewhere which I'll post if we stay on 1797.

Yarm,

I am totally amazed and impressed with that piece. My gosh, what a beauty indeed. I would love to see your collection some day. (worship

Rey

Dooly, looks like you got a good price on the 1816! My British coins stop at 1807, so I pass on "modern" (post-1806) material! ;)

The open 0 and baseless 1 on the 1806 penny are the diagnostics for Peck-1327, a late SOHO striking, this one in medal alignment.

That's an attractive "bull head" piece, Raresov! I hope you finish the set.

Here's a George III gilt farthing of 1799 from one of the few sets

I've ever completed.

Merged1799giltfarthing.jpg

Can't wait for NGC to slab that 10c mule :) :)

They are also slabbing another mule set, as well as a 2005 $1 which is way off center, should make a 10% designation. Very happy to have one of those, a few got out.. word was that the Mob Of Roos $1 for 2005 was struck in a hurry after news of the mule proof set came about... make some otherwise the coin in the set isn't even meant to exist..

Lowest mintage roo so far too, at 5.792 million. Plenty gone into circulation :) Greg McDonald's latest catalogue reads

a) It appears the obverse 2005 dies were accidentally mixed with 2006 MOR reverses. When the error was discovered it was decided to continue with the mismatched striking to avoid the publicity that would be generated from a low issue mule issue.

Other interesting info..

2006 mintage is over 35 million

2007 is only available in a PNC

very very nice....can I get some more info on that Egyptian coin?..I'd like to hunt one of those down...

Egypt

1957 Pound

NGC MS67

Design: OBVERSE: Pharaoh Rameses II, with drawn bow and arrow, driving an ancient chariot. Word “EGYPT” is written in hieroglyphics above the horse and in Arabic below the horse. Below the Arabic “EGYPT”, the commemorative date “1952” is inscribed in Arabic -script ~ REVERSE: Depicts the winged sun with the Arabic inscription of “REPUBLIC OF EGYPT, ONE POUND” and the date. The date inscription is given according to both Christian and Muslim calendars (A.D. 1957 -1376 A.H.)

Mint: Cairo

Mintage: 10,000

References: KM# 387 / Fr.42

Specifications: 22.5mm / 8.5000 g. @ .8750 Gold = .2391 oz AGW

Acquired: February 2006

Notes:

- This coin was issued for the Fifth Anniversary of the Revolution and the formation of the Republic.

- This coin was struck in both red and yellow gold, this specimen is yellow gold.

And the 1955 Egypt 5 Pound version of that (5X the weight of the 1 pound) is even more impressive. I've been on the hunt for a high grade one of the 1955 - 5 Pound issue for a while. :luhv: