• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the lead - Country, denomination, date or the profile on the Obverse.

257 posts in this topic

Hi rey

it looks like a Calcutta mint (no mint mark)

i would question it being a real coin in a few points (but hard from a scan)

if it us real it should grade VF+ BUT if the scan is a good reprensentation of the coin then it looks cleaned/dipped

if it is not a fake the value is in the $45-$60 range

all the best hi.gif

Here is another George VI, one with an interesting history so to speak. During World War II Canada's Nickel producers were very strained due to the war effort and in 1942 it was decided that nickel would be suspended as a coinage material for the duration of the war. Experiments were initiated to find a subsitute for the 5 cent piece. This led to the adoption of the 12-sided coin made of tombac, a kind of brass. The ida came from the British 3-penny piece first issued in 1937. The tombac 5-cent piece was given its shape so that when tarnished it would not be confused with 1-cent pieces.

This one has some nice toning on the reverse, I wish the obverse did as well, probably should have turned it in the album many years ago.

Rey

1942TombacFiveCentsObv.jpg

1942TombacFiveCentsRev.jpg

George V "small head" sovereign, from the Perth mint

The 1931 is the last Perth minted sovereign, indeed our last year of sovs. This one is choice, and slabbed NGC MS65

1931.jpg

Wish I had some images of some of my Perth Sovereigns but I don't and I am not home. Here is George V again but on a 1920 Cent.

Rey

1920CanadaCentLargeCentObvAU58BN.jpg

1920CanadaCentLargeCentRevAU58BN.jpg

Only supposed to post one.. which am I supposed to follow now ? :D

I wanted to get all my Canadian Nick's out of the way. How about the 1943 it seems not just are country changed the metals.

RareSov,

Love your coins, very nice indeed. You're making it tougher on me. Here is an "Australia Sovereign". 1897 M Sovereign minted in Melborne with the lovely Queen Victoria.

Rey

1897MSovereignObv.jpg

1897MSovereignRev.jpg

Yarm,

Again you will need to help me on this one. Whar are the differences between the 1P and the 2P versions? There was no information on this one in our collection.

Rey