• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,397 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2024 at 12:46 PM, rmFren said:

I'm not bothering to wait to get the coin back, but I just got the grades for my last order back yesterday, and was really happy with this one. A nice quality Hamburg 5 Mark coin was pretty high on my want list. 

hamburg5Mark.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.45.31 AM.png

Nice looking coin, congrats. :golfclap:

What do you think about the PhotoVision Plus images? Do you like them? Are they representative of the coin in hand? 

On 7/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice looking coin, congrats. :golfclap:

What do you think about the PhotoVision Plus images? Do you like them? Are they representative of the coin in hand? 

I like the Plus images and think they're usually worth the cost, but they aren't perfect. I don't think the PCGS photos are either, but they're off in different ways. I think the PCGS photos can look better than the coins look in person and they'llhide faults. NGC images look good and show faults, but often look worse than the coins appear in person, imo. 

For example, here's the medal from above. I think it looks very good in person and a little better than the Plus image would imply. 

I'm still pretty new to this too, so what do I know. 

theseThree.jpg

On 7/10/2024 at 1:09 PM, rmFren said:

I like the Plus images and think they're usually worth the cost, but they aren't perfect. I don't think the PCGS photos are either, but they're off in different ways. I think the PCGS photos can look better than the coins look in person and they'llhide faults. NGC images look good and show faults, but often look worse than the coins appear in person, imo. 

For example, here's the medal from above. I think it looks very good in person and a little better than the Plus image would imply. 

I'm still pretty new to this too, so what do I know. 

Thanks for the response, I tend to agree with you. Prior to the last year or so the PCGS images for coins I've owned or viewed in person were extreme glamor shots of the coin and normally didn't accurately represent the coin in-hand, but over the last year or so they went from glamor shots to, well, poop. NGC images, I thought, looked better and accurately represented the coin but over the last year or two they seemed to have gone down in eye appeal often giving the coin a weird off color look. They are still better than the current PCGS images though.

I don't collect German coins per se but do own a few and the 1925 3M is one of my favorites. Congrats again. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Substituted poop for cr*p

On 7/18/2024 at 5:31 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

image.jpeg.ac16b77ca7afa2b2cd6c08ba518be68c.jpeg

image.jpeg.86dc5e7977156ac26562cf121f4dcb28.jpeg

Their scales look dang nice, below is an image of one (not owned).

image.thumb.jpeg.cb8db33c179ac87e744695937c7a9b64.jpeg

image.jpeg.795e688caee6f78fe86545050db0f982.jpeg

Exquisite, and the name has a nice ring to it:  "The AUTOMATIC SCALE CO., Inc."  🤣

On 7/25/2024 at 11:13 AM, rrantique said:

PS Mike can you identify this for me picked this up in Okinawa  early 70's

Looks like 1960, Taiwan/China 1 New Dollar/Yuan. Very cool piece. (thumbsu

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1274.html

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/china-taiwan-region-yuan-y-536-491960-691980-cuid-1047368-duid-1289421

On 7/25/2024 at 5:35 PM, rrantique said:

Thanks Mike  This I believe minted at Denver Mint?:hi:

I think only some of the coins dated 1973 (年二十六國民華中) & 1974 (年三十六國民華中) were minted in Denver, I'm not sure if there is a way to tell the difference between the Denver coins and the coins minted elsewhere the same years. Doesn't look like there is from what I can tell but I'm not very familiar with these. (shrug)

image.png.6d1481ca913489eb1d3a4326ad448849.png