• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought my First Coins on Tuesday
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Looks like you picked up quite a variety there.

If you want know more about each coin, just google Numista followed by the date, country and denomination.
Example:  Numista 1966 Bahamas 25 cent 

Can probably help you with the Ottoman when the time comes.

I am not sure how misc bin prices work in the Canadian market, but most of those coins would typically sell for US$0.20 or less down here. Not discouraging you from paying what they ask for what you want, just pointing out that down here we'd consider most of those overpriced at neighborhood of US$0.85 each. Most dealers have an assortment can and fair typical prices are 5-6 for US$1. You could collect one hell of a lot of rather interesting pieces for a chunker less money. Then in time you could spend the savings on a pdf version Krause guide, which would empower you to attribute most of them, and really be independent. It seems like basically no money now, but once you've bought a few hundred the difference will be adding up.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:18 PM, JKK said:

I am not sure how misc bin prices work in the Canadian market, but most of those coins would typically sell for US$0.20 or less down here. Not discouraging you from paying what they ask for what you want, just pointing out that down here we'd consider most of those overpriced at neighborhood of US$0.85 each. Most dealers have an assortment can and fair typical prices are 5-6 for US$1. You could collect one hell of a lot of rather interesting pieces for a chunker less money. Then in time you could spend the savings on a pdf version Krause guide, which would empower you to attribute most of them, and really be independent. It seems like basically no money now, but once you've bought a few hundred the difference will be adding up.

What is the year edition of the Krause pdf? I have two hard copy, five years apart. 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:23 PM, VKurtB said:

What is the year edition of the Krause pdf? I have two hard copy, five years apart. 

I was about say the same ! There are few sellers on eBay or so they sell you PDF file of Krause book however they probably are violating a piracy act …. Now if it was a friend say I scanned a book and I gave to you in PDF file as a “gift friend to friend” I wasn’t profiting off it that probably somewhat okay and legal 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:18 PM, JKK said:

Then in time you could spend the savings on a pdf version Krause guide,

What is the legitimate site to purchase the Krause pdf files?

On 5/2/2024 at 9:42 PM, cobymordet said:

I have seen individual countries or even regions on the Numismatic News (duh, Krause, in the past) site, but honestly, I haven’t looked lately. Trying to use a pdf of an entire Krause volume strikes me as masochistic. A book the thickness of the last Philadelphia phone book is not “pdf friendly”. Some things NEED to be printed on cheap newsprint stock. 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:42 PM, cobymordet said:

I bought mine some years back on Amazon, cost me about $35 each. You'd have to find used ones now. They are useless for price purposes but fantastic for text searching.

On 5/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, Greenstang said:

Looks like you picked up quite a variety there.

If you want know more about each coin, just google Numista followed by the date, country and denomination.
Example:  Numista 1966 Bahamas 25 cent 

I am aware of Numista. Thanks.

On 5/2/2024 at 3:18 PM, JKK said:

Some of them were cheaper than the others. They ranged from $0.10 to $1.05 CAN. (Not including the Ottoman coin.) I bought what I liked, and I'm okay with what I paid for them. :)

And, these coins will probably be the only coins I buy for the foreseeable future.

On 5/3/2024 at 2:18 AM, Bel_Izeard said:

Some of them were cheaper than the others. They ranged from $0.10 to $1.05 CAN. (Not including the Ottoman coin.) I bought what I liked, and I'm okay with what I paid for them. :)

And, these coins will probably be the only coins I buy for the foreseeable future.

If they are exceptionally nice examples, I wouldn’t worry about the price paid. 

On 5/3/2024 at 10:58 AM, VKurtB said:

If they are exceptionally nice examples, I wouldn’t worry about the price paid. 

Exactly! Thanks! :grin:

You should go to a local coin shop and see what they have. Spend some money each time you go. They might act like snobs at first but get to know them. For every coin they have on display they have millions more not out. They are much cheaper then the antique store I'm sure. Lots of more expensive ones of course. Spend money each time you go and they will pull out stuff not shown. Anyways you can get lots of stuff and it's not that expensive.  Help out your local coin shop and they will help you.