• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Double die obverse FS-101
1 1

17 posts in this topic

If you want to sell the coin it's worth it to get it graded purely for the authentication. It's ruff so if it were me I would slab.it just to keep it from any more damage and put that in a safe place for my collection. AWESOME FIND IF IT REAL.

Hello and welcome!
Thanks for supplying good pics of the coin in question here. We don't get many first posters who give us good pics to look over their coins. (thumbsu

It appears you have correctly identified one of the 1972 DDO varieties (I believe there was 9 total) and does appear to be the FS-101 variety. While this is an excellent find in a roll which are typically already cherrypicked, this coin does have some major disadvantages.

The coin seems to be in AU condition albeit the lower end of AU. However, it would get a details grade Damaged for the gouge on Abe's forehead and hair. Also, I think it would get dinged as well for some light environmental damage, especially seen on the reverse in your photos and may say both things on the label as well if it were slabbed. One other thing I note is some mild staining on the obverse, some spots of discoloration which detract some from its eye appeal.

All that said, this coin in AU in the price guide is somewhere between $200-240 in BN. With this coin's impairments, however, it would only sell for the appropriate discount for such impairments which could be 1/3 to 1/2 less than the listed guide price. While this coin ranks #10 on the list of Top 100 US modern coins as far as demand goes, and is popular among collectors of modern coins, it is still suffering from its impairments and on a single coin submission under the Economy tier, shipping to and from and the standard processing charge, you might only be near a break even on grading costs. If this were my coin, I would not submit this for grading but if I were to be willing to part with it, I would sell it raw and get what I could for it, probably in an auction on a site like eBay might get you your best price without killing you on selling fees. Or you could take this to a coin show and sell it raw there for no fees, but remember that a dealer is only going to give you an absolute base price for it with the impairments which could be less than $100. You did not tell us if this roll cost you any to obtain in the first place, so you need to figure out where your own price break is when it comes time to sell it.

In all, I wouldn't submit this coin as I don't think in the end you will come out much ahead. 

Nice roll find though!  (thumbsu  I have yet to come across anything like this in a roll or loose change.

I am just one opinion of many opinions you will get on here so we will see what some of the others have to say.

Edited by powermad5000

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

You do appear to have found an actual "Red Book" variety (FS-101) 1972 doubled die cent. If it is submitted to a third-party grading service, it would likely receive a "Details" grade due to the deep scrape in Lincoln's head, but it may be worthwhile doing so for proof of its authenticity. NGC does not require the $18 VarietyPlus fee for this major variety.  It would be less expensive to do so if submitted with other coins or through a dealer.  You could also just keep it in an album or holder with a notation as to its variety or significance.

I like it!  The doubling is clear and the damage is not as much of a distraction as I figured it should be.

Hello sweetheart! Finally, an actual find!  As the others have stated it is a DDO FS-101 and a groovy one at that! The shift is strong giving it the true psychedelic effect. Seeing that Lincoln cent errors are all the rage currently among many collectors my advice would be is to have it authenticated, graded and encapsulated. The others are correct that it will receive a details grade but having the clear, impressive DDO far outshines the scrape. The coin IMO is worth at least $200 graded AU Details (several have sold at auction in DETAILS), a bit more if it was not damaged and a whole bunch more if it was MS with no scratch. Good find. Cheers!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Congrats...NOW you can count on spending your riches. xD

Seriously, congratulations on a great find.  It appers to be worth a few hundred dollars. (thumbsu

It’s a DDO. Why are we looking at a reverse close-up?

On 4/23/2024 at 4:12 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Yay! A real error! Nice job. A few dollars maybe? I don't know a whole lot on errors.

FYI, a doubled die is classified as a die variety, not a mint error.  A die variety generally pertains to most or all of the coins struck by a particular die pair, while a mint error occurs to individual coins.  This coin is a major die variety listed in the "Red Book" and other standard coin price guides and is worth several hundred dollars even in circulated grades.  

On 4/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, Sandon said:

FYI, a doubled die is classified as a die variety, not a mint error.  A die variety generally pertains to most or all of the coins struck by a particular die pair, while a mint error occurs to individual coins.  This coin is a major die variety listed in the "Red Book" and other standard coin price guides and is worth several hundred dollars even in circulated grades.  

whatever

On 4/23/2024 at 5:25 PM, Sandon said:

I know, I said that wrong. I own a red book and I literally just read that part. 

On 4/23/2024 at 6:39 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

whatever

LOL