• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1989 struck on copper and the 9 looks like a 2 what error is this?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

There were a few unreported 89s that did got caught in the transition process at the mint. One of em was a 1989 d struck on a 1983 copper planchet reported last year. 

17130559145165919789338780273780.jpg

The "transition" had occurred back in 1982. If there were any 95% copper pieces struck at any mint in 1989, I haven't heard it from the numismatic press. Where did you obtain this information?

Why do you believe that your 1989 cent was struck in the old composition? You don't state its weight, which would be approximately 3.11 grams if it were, as opposed to approximately 2.5 grams for the copper plated zinc composition that it should be.  Even from the uncropped photos provided, the coin exhibits numerous plating blisters, which are indicative of its being a normal copper plated zinc example.

Posted (edited)

Do your research we all here to learn something.. it was one reported back in 2014 and one last year, I'm not saying I have the exact ones but as we all can see mines is struck on a copper planchet and the 9 has a strike to it as well if it is a nine. It's worth me sending it in just out of curiosity.

Edited by Youngmoola
Misspelled

The Philadelphia mint reportedly coined 7,261,535,000 1989 cents, and the Denver mint reportedly coined 5,345,467,111 1989-Ds. Do you intend to "send in" every one that you find in change? You have presented no evidence whatsoever that this coin was struck in any unusual composition.  

Here is a cropped version of your largest photo, which though still blurry shows nothing remarkable about the date other than possible strike doubling but clearly shows the plating blisters that, even in the absence of an accurate measurement of the coin's weight, indicate that the coin was struck on a copper plated zinc planchet:

image.png.b791fca248ad603c7162fe763fbceefd.png

Yes, we are all here to learn something. I've been collecting and studying U.S. coins for nearly 53 years and still have things to learn, but I'm sure that I could teach you a great deal if you were only willing to listen.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:03 PM, Youngmoola said:

It's worth me sending it in just out of curiosity.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:49 PM, Youngmoola said:

I'm not here to get cool points I'm trynna learn sumn.

It seems that you post coins on this forum and consider them to be some kind of error.  After multiple people tell you that you are mistaken, you dig your heels in further.  There is no point in you wasting any more time trying to convince anyone that what you have found is legitimate.  Maybe we just aren't cool enough for you.  Maybe you should spread your "message" elsewhere.  Maybe there are cool people out there for you to dazzle your bling.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:49 PM, Youngmoola said:

Try listening to what members are telling you. They are trying to help you "learn sumn."

Please show the sources of your information and XRF test results, if available.

start with a pic of the "coin" on a scale at 3.1.  That might earn a cool half a point.

Edited by cobymordet
not cool enough

On 4/13/2024 at 9:40 PM, Youngmoola said:

All I know is it weighs 3.1 n it's on a copper planchet

Why do I see some of the silver look of the zinc showing through, especially on the rim?

On 4/13/2024 at 10:00 PM, Youngmoola said:

Ok let's talk about my red seal 1928 d large date note..came today

I have informed you before about posting about paper money in this forum.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:56 PM, Youngmoola said:

SOON IT COME BACK FROM GETTING GRADED TIL DEN ITS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT

Great. I will wait until you return to this thread with a pic of the coin in the holder.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:52 PM, Youngmoola said:

There were a few unreported 89s that did got caught in the transition process at the mint. One of em was a 1989 d struck on a 1983 copper planchet reported last year. 

This is what I was asking for information about.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:23 AM, RWB said:

This is what I was asking for information about.

There is a 1989-D cent certified by PCGS as having been struck on a pre-1983 planchet and graded MS 65 RD that was sold by Heritage for $7,500 in 2018. https://www.pcgs.com/cert/10759563. Photos of this coin indicate that it has smooth surfaces without blisters, unlike the OP's 1989.  See https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1271-4767.s 

I highly doubt that (1) there would have been a leftover pre-1983 brass planchet that happened to still be lingering in a bin at the Denver mint in 1989 and was then struck and (2) that someone who inspected and weighed every coin that came into his or her possession would have happened to find it, in uncirculated condition, no less.  I strongly suspect misconduct by mint personnel. 

There are two things I dislike about the boards and unfortunately one feeds the other:

1. When a veteran collector just shreds an unknowing new collector because they just don't understand coins, the mintage process, errors, etc.
  2. When a new collector asks for an opinion, then wants to argue with all of the veteran collectors because it does not align with the newbie's wishes.  One, this wastes everyone's time, because the facts are the facts.  2) The arrogance of the new collector makes the veterans jaded, and thus increasing the chances of the next rookie inquiry getting shredded.

You are not only hurting yourself, as others argue with (then ultimately ignore) you... But, you are hurting the future newbie who may want to ask an innocent question without the arguing.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

@ Neophyte Numismatist u right ...but honestly they make me step my game up n learn more but every new beginners may not take it lightly n take dat constructive criticism too the heart..it's sum negative ppl on here but me personally I overlook em

On 4/13/2024 at 7:49 PM, Youngmoola said:

Try starting with learning the English language. Then we will talk. Did you get those nasty dirty fingernails dealt with yet?

Send your coin to vasquez. He can give you instant 100% verification/certification with no monetary cost you.

Posted (edited)

@neophyte numismatist indeed I knew it was the whole time copper n bronze turn a brownish color...n have  a cling sound when dropped but I do apologize for confusing new comers n also responding to such nonsense..u have my word I'll be more professional..I appreciate ur true judgement 🙏🏽

Edited by Youngmoola

On 4/17/2024 at 11:52 AM, Sandon said:

There is a 1989-D cent certified by PCGS as having been struck on a pre-1983 planchet and graded MS 65 RD that was sold by Heritage for $7,500 in 2018. https://www.pcgs.com/cert/10759563. Photos of this coin indicate that it has smooth surfaces without blisters, unlike the OP's 1989.  See https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1271-4767.s 

I highly doubt that (1) there would have been a leftover pre-1983 brass planchet that happened to still be lingering in a bin at the Denver mint in 1989 and was then struck and (2) that someone who inspected and weighed every coin that came into his or her possession would have happened to find it, in uncirculated condition, no less.  I strongly suspect misconduct by mint personnel. 

The density is missing, but other data in the Heritage catalog looks OK. (Why does PCGS not put ALL of the data on the page with a coin they certified as an off-metal strike?)

On 4/17/2024 at 11:52 AM, Sandon said:

I strongly suspect misconduct by mint personnel. 

I agree, sounds like an inside job to me. Sorry Youngmoola I have to say that 89 looks like a zincon to me with those blisters and lines. 

Edited by J P M