• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d weird strike on front n back
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Only thing left to do is weigh it..the tail of the 2 has no curve and it's away from da rim, bronze color with a clinging sound, different from my other 82s..

It is a large date 82 there are many different types of 1982 cents  I think 7 of them

Based on the photos, this is simply a normal though worn 1982-D large date cent. Most of these were made in brass (95% copper, 5% zinc) alloy, but a sizeable number were also made in the then new copper-plated zinc composition. Both are common and have no collector value in this condition.  The brass pieces have a better "ring" when dropped on certain surfaces.

This infographic below shows the different types of 1982 cents made for circulation. Only the 1982-D small date brass (copper), struck accidentally on leftover blanks (an eighth variety), would be valuable, but only two have been discovered so far.

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Edited by Sandon
add more information

The cent is a Large Date, and therefore nothing special. STOP LOOKING AT THE NUMBERS THEMSELVES. The key diagnostic is that the 2 is about a half integer width away from the raised rim. Typographers might call it an ‘n-space’. On the small date variety, the distance from the 2 to the raised rim is a FULL integer width, also known as an ‘m-space’.

C’mon, @Youngmoola, it’s time to get real. Enough is enough. Stop this silliness. 

I realize that @Sandon likes to use that 5 comparison chart one frame above. Trust me, only the second comparison matters. 

Edited by VKurtB

I see a large date 1982 D of which there were some struck in bronze and some struck in zinc. I do not know what you are seeing as being "weird" on the strike though. It looks normal to me and the "lightness" of the rim and lettering tells me it is probably a zinc and would probably weigh around 2.5g.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:41 PM, Youngmoola said:

The 1...8...n 2 align up perfect ...if it weighs out💰🙏🏽

OK team.  The jig is up. Youngmoola has broken the code and ripped the cover off the Wizard.  It is no longer feasible to keep this fine young Jedi master away from his true potential.  Congrats Youngmoola, you have found us out.  The alignment of the date is the key.  Keep the Force and Faith around you always and your journey is sure to be rewarding.  :golfclap:^^:applause:

On 4/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, J P M said:

there are many different types of 1982 cents  I think 7 of them

On 4/8/2024 at 7:47 PM, Youngmoola said:

and it is 7 thx

My Red Bible doth protest thine heresy. . .

It should be 10,. . . if you wish to include that pesky unicorn & the shiniest version (awesome title for a bad bad movie!). 

(6) Copper: 82p small---82p LARGE---82d LARGE---82s small---82sProof -----82d small (pesky Unicorn)

(4) Zinc: 82p small---82p LARGE---82d small---82d LARGE.

But, who knows, maybe someone will have the good fortune of discovering a new and rarer variation that has been lurking in the numismatic shadows for 22 years awaiting the arrival of Neo Numismatisticest.  Just make sure Moby & Phish come along, after all, three's Company!