• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a 1974 Eisenhower dollar. That has 2 round marks on the reverse. I'm thinking possibly a strike through. What are all of your thoughts?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Your 1974-D Eisenhower dollar clearly exhibits post-mint damage, probably from someone testing a tool. Note the raised, displaced metal surrounding the depressions.

Thanks I didn't really think that it was just was putting our possibilities. Always good to get some opinions. Appreciate the responses 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What I see on your coin is 100% post mint damage. To me, it almost looks like that is a counterstamp of a number 8. I do remember watching some kids in grade school who made their 8's by making two small O's. It could also be possible it is two counterstamps of a tiny 'O' or a small zero. Either way, it was intentionally done after it left the mint and not struck that way in the striking chamber.

That's funny copy was a really small gun

Interesting because I also was thinking counter stamp but didn't think of it that way. 

Looks like someone who lives in your area or in a nearby area is counterstamping coins with this 8.

To me it looks like a nail set for finish nails. Two hits one above the other.

If you zoom in and then turn sideways it looks like a pair of eyes. Possibly a nail set but I would think it would be more of J a hole without the center piece. 🤔 unless something was stuck in the die when it was struck. Sky's the limit. 

On 4/21/2024 at 7:16 AM, Patman54 said:

If you zoom in and then turn sideways it looks like a pair of eyes. Possibly a nail set but I would think it would be more of J a hole without the center piece. 🤔 unless something was stuck in the die when it was struck. Sky's the limit. 

Whatever it was some type of tool after it left the mint both impressions have the same variation of markings if you look round the raised dot. So, to me it is PMD

On 4/21/2024 at 9:40 AM, ldhair said:

I'll guess a gasket punch was used.

I used those at my old job. I would think striking metal with it that it wouldn't last very long without totally trashing the end on it. We set the gaskets on a wood block to try to keep the punches from getting dulled out too quickly. I think those are a pretty much really old way of doing it as I think today they cut gaskets with a laser. Much faster and a much better cut.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:43 AM, powermad5000 said:

I used those at my old job. I would think striking metal with it that it wouldn't last very long without totally trashing the end on it. We set the gaskets on a wood block to try to keep the punches from getting dulled out too quickly. I think those are a pretty much really old way of doing it as I think today they cut gaskets with a laser. Much faster and a much better cut.

I never used those because I was the A/P and cash manager, but I did work for a gasket cutting and die making shop. It's possible there are punches that tiny, but that would mean very small bolt holes--as in smaller than on flatpack furniture kits. Most of ours were more like 1/2" to 1" wide. If we had punches that small, we never mounted them inside a die that I knew of. I'm not sure how you'd even bend the steel rule to make such a probably tiny die.

On 4/21/2024 at 2:00 PM, JKK said:

I never used those because I was the A/P and cash manager, but I did work for a gasket cutting and die making shop. It's possible there are punches that tiny, but that would mean very small bolt holes--as in smaller than on flatpack furniture kits. Most of ours were more like 1/2" to 1" wide. If we had punches that small, we never mounted them inside a die that I knew of. I'm not sure how you'd even bend the steel rule to make such a probably tiny die.

Everything we had at that shop was ancient as far as tooling went. We had them from 1" all the way down to 3/16". There may have been a 1/8" one originally but if there was I am sure it got so trashed someone probably threw it out. It was a cool set, but most of them were well worn out and when management was asked to get us new ones because most of them only cut half the rubber out of the hole, we got the standard answer of "Well, just try to sharpen them somehow and get them to work".

On 4/21/2024 at 12:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

Everything we had at that shop was ancient as far as tooling went. We had them from 1" all the way down to 3/16". There may have been a 1/8" one originally but if there was I am sure it got so trashed someone probably threw it out. It was a cool set, but most of them were well worn out and when management was asked to get us new ones because most of them only cut half the rubber out of the hole, we got the standard answer of "Well, just try to sharpen them somehow and get them to work".

Ours lived in the dies. We served the Alaska fishing fleet out of Ballard, and the customer would pay a die charge for which we would construct a die of the correct size. The punches were part of the die and never came out again until the steel rule got so worn we had to re-rule the die. I never saw them used loose.

The ones we had had a hex shaft like you would have on a chisel that you use with a hammer. Then they flared out to a sort of egg type shape and were all hollow inside and the end of the egg shape was where the sharp end was and that had the hole in the middle of it. We held them by hand in the right spot and hit it with a hammer to cut the hole in the rubber. I could ask one of the guys who still works there after all these years for a pic of them if you want to see what they looked like.