• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2003 p dime no ridges which error is this
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 2/29/2024 at 8:54 AM, Youngmoola said:

Lol the ridges to smooth to have been removed try again

I'm sorry if it's not what you were hoping for. Everyone here is being honest though. 

It's not an error of any kind..this happens often with coins. If you Google and search about what a dryer coin is you will see that. As @Greenstangsaid it is just damage. If you tried getting this graded you would be out of a lot of money. You can do whatever you like though (thumbsu

On 2/29/2024 at 7:16 AM, Youngmoola said:

@IDHAIR....I need no opinions from you..ur not an expert..thx n u sure can't evaluate coins right 

Are you shooting for the Foo of the Week award? You're mounting a strong campaign. He's been collecting for at least twenty years. He was probably collecting when you were loading up your diapers.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:16 AM, Youngmoola said:

@IDHAIR....I need no opinions from you..ur not an expert..thx n u sure can't evaluate coins right 

If you came here to learn, you came to the right place. If you came here to insult those that are giving you the truth, good luck with that. 

The members here are only trying to help and most of them are experts in Numismatics. The dime looks like it has worn down to the copper core and has been rolling on its edge. Most likely it got caught in the barrel of a dryer it happens a lot. I hope that helps you out. Youngmoola

U right the dime is of no value but I'm still sending a batch in to get graded nobody's perfect and we all Learn sumn everyday but I'd rather waste a few hundred dollars to get sumn i think is different looking n who knows maybe i might be on a goldmine..i have so many coins ive been collecting n i can flash 69s 55d n other ddos but i don't show off..im only here to learn 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:35 AM, Youngmoola said:

U right the dime is of no value but I'm still sending a batch in to get graded nobody's perfect and we all Learn sumn everyday but I'd rather waste a few hundred dollars to get sumn i think is different looking n who knows maybe i might be on a goldmine..i have so many coins ive been collecting n i can flash 69s 55d n other ddos but i don't show off..im only here to learn 

It is not showing off to post coins here, You may find answers to your questions without spending a dime. (thumbsuThere are many coins that look like they are error coins but they are not.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, Youngmoola said:

Post and show off no one here minds. We all like coins!

On 2/29/2024 at 10:35 AM, Youngmoola said:

If you have valuable coins like the 69s, 55d, St. Gauden $20 gold, etc...why do you insist on showing low-end non-error damaged coins? 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:35 AM, Youngmoola said:

I'm still sending a batch in to get graded nobody's perfect

By "get graded", you mean submitting coins to a third-party grading service. (I grade coins with the knowledge I have acquired over the years or by referring to a grading guide.) Unless you have sufficient knowledge and experience to approximately grade and otherwise evaluate your coins yourself, you will very likely spend much, much more than the coins are worth on grading fees (at NGC, minimum $19-$23 per coin plus a $18 per coin error attribution fee for coins you think are mint errors, whether they are attributed or not), processing fees ($10 per order), return shipping costs (minimum $28 per order) and your cost of shipping the coins to NGC in the first place.  You need to be able to determine reasonable market values for the coins just to fill out the submission forms. So far, no coin that you have shown on the topics you have posted on this forum would be remotely worth the cost.  

I've been collecting and studying U.S. coins for nearly 53 years now (15 or more years longer than NGC or PCGS have been in business), so hopefully I'm qualified to provide an opinion.  If you don't believe me, see this article by a prominent dealer and former president of the American Numismatic Association. Jeff Garrett: The Art of Rare Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

Your time and money would be much better spent on books, subscriptions, and certain online resources (some free) from which you can learn, as well as attending coin shows, coin club meetings, and other venues from which you can examine a variety of coins, including third-party graded pieces, and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Please see the following forum topics:

P.S. The grooves on the edge of a coin like a dime or quarter are generally referred to as a "reeds", not "ridges', and the edge is referred to as a reeded edge.

Edited by Sandon

U right only cause I'm a working man but I'm never dusty or broke so try the lotto wrong person to after cause I'll embarrass u but I'm a keep it professional cause I'm only here to learn..toodaloo

17092389081108037522775724204374.jpg

What you said:

"I'm a keep it professional"

What you meant:

I am going to keep it professional.

Nice kicks, yo!

The dime's edge reeding is missing because it was deliberately removed (resulting in a light weight coin), or the coin was stuck in between two moving surfaces (such as in a clothes dryer) and the reeds were pressed together. The rims look unusually high, so I suspect the latter. Lots of people who work with their hands at al;l kinds of jobs collect coins. But we all learn very quickly to avoid damaging coins by handling by the edges, only.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:34 AM, JKK said:

Are you shooting for the Foo of the Week award? You're mounting a strong campaign. He's been collecting for at least twenty years. He was probably collecting when you were loading up your diapers.