• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery roll from eBay for $20 was it worth it??
1 1

88 posts in this topic

Y'all can team up n say whatever but I did wat da bigger guy suppose to do n dats apologize to da community now I'm leaving it alone on to next subject 

On 2/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, Youngmoola said:

@JKK I don't respect u neither ..I'll kick on yo head if I ever see you in real life n smack u u  racist  

Heh. As if I have any idea, or give a rip, what race you might be. Internet macho types are hilarious, especially when they grasp at straws.

🐓:  What do you think?

Q.A.:  Respectfully, I dug the move, early on. Gangsta, straight up 'n' down!  Shades of Straight Outta Compton.  You know how they roll. 🤣  Sorry 'bout Suge, yo!  Peace out, home slice!  :roflmao:

On 2/29/2024 at 6:32 AM, e1cnr said:

What is in a 1965 proof set? I can not find it in the price guides.

1965 SMS. It's not really proof but the only thing they did for 1965

On 2/29/2024 at 2:00 PM, Youngmoola said:

I never said I gotten the eagle from eBay...it came from the American mint ...my gem proof set came from eBay with some old Indian head pennies 

Just go to your local coin dealer and get some decent coins. The stuff you showed is pretty much junk. You will be much better off buying silver junk coins. They are not going to have that bogus gold quarter. Hopefully they will teach you a bit about coins. Don't go in there pretending to know it all. $20 will buy you a few coins that will always be worth money. Thankfully you didn't waste a whole lot of money on this junk you bought. 

On 2/29/2024 at 7:08 PM, Youngmoola said:

@JKK I don't respect u neither ..I'll kick on yo head if I ever see you in real life n smack u u  racist  

On 2/29/2024 at 7:46 PM, Youngmoola said:

@EagleRJO we'll grab yo guy n tell him to get his mind right he clearly got out of pocket wit me first when really he could've kept his opinion to himself..ya dig

You can banter and criticise all you want, and the mods are pretty hands-off even with stuff like that, but my point you missed was that physically threatening someone on this board is unacceptable and @Administrator should boot you for doing that.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:42 PM, Youngmoola said:

I'm not thirsty for money I actually enjoy collecting...I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth....

Quick, take it out! It’s preventing oxygen from getting to your brain! Call 9-1-1.

Please take this response in all due respect.  Generally speaking, "mystery rolls" are not a good deal.  They are only a mystery to you.  The sellers will know what they are selling, and how to build-in a healthy profit.  Also, buying groups of coins tends not to be a winning strategy, because the sellers will almost always slip a subpar coin in the group (and maybe more than one).

You are free to collect whatever you like.  And, if you enjoy your coins, that's all that really matters. I would never tell anyone how to spend their money.  But, if your question is strictly, "was this a good deal?"  I have to agree with the others and say, "no." I am not trying to offend anyone, these are just my opinions.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

The mint mark on the St Gaudens medal is the mark for the Bayerisches Munzkontor mint in Germany. The medal is part of a "History of Gold" series that they produced. 

Notice it says “ layered in gold”, not the solid gold the OP claims it to be.   
I think we have another troll on our hands. We have  three pages of nonsence.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct spelling

On 3/2/2024 at 1:31 AM, Just Bob said:

The mint mark on the St Gaudens medal is the mark for the Bayerisches Munzkontor mint in Germany. The medal is part of a "History of Gold" series that they produced. 

Great detective work! I do not know any private "mint" that produces 3-oz. tributes.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:23 PM, EagleRJO said:

You can banter and criticise all you want, and the mods are pretty hands-off even with stuff like that, but my point you missed was that physically threatening someone on this board is unacceptable and @Administrator should boot you for doing that.

🐓: Technically, while a violation, any sanction would be superfluous at this point.

Q.A.:  I agree.  There is no come-back from the humiliation of being exposed as a perpetrator of a fraud. He overplayed his hand.  Why would anyone who owns a 3-oz gold coin regale us with a "mystery" roll of presumably unseatched coins. 

Yo Moolah Man:  Your game ain't strong enough. You did it to yourself!  Regards to Snoop Dogg.  :whistle:

On 3/2/2024 at 4:17 AM, cobymordet said:

I did, however, happen upon this gem:

image.png.7a45de7b3bcd7cda9976de6ecb9f7a6d.png

image.png.1586b0938e0143e9efacc67caac7ea06.png

I think we have a winner.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:14 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think we have a winner.

Do we?  

Copper is a non-precious metal. As such, unlike its gold and silver counterparts, it is measured in avoirdupois ounces, 16 ounces per pound.

The "medallion," ahem, weighs all of three ounces. Today's copper spot is 24 cents an ounce. Someone won alright, but it wasn't the Moolah Man.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Do we?  

Yes, meaning we have a listing with a direct match for what the op has.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:26 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yes, meaning we have a listing with a direct match for what the op has.

Our Just Bob did a terrific piece of detective work! I never would have guessed it was fabricated outside the U.S.  I never knew it existed.  

On 3/2/2024 at 8:30 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I never knew it existed

I never saw that medal before either, and Bob must have just seen that mint mark before as its not familiar to me either, although the German coins I collect are older.

However, I don't think it really makes any difference as the op would probably not be convinced he didn't have a super valuable "gold" coin no matter what was posted, and matters little anyway as we are not likely to hear from YoungMoola after physically threatening JKK.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:39 PM, EagleRJO said:

....we are not likely to hear from YoungMoola after physically threatening JKK.

I certainly hope JKK doesn't feel that way. I hear that sort of trash talk in my neighborhood all day long. It's nothing more than posturing. It was wrong but the medium used affords one anonymity. Real gangstas don't collect coins!  :makepoint:  :roflmao:  :facepalm:

Street level trash talk that you or I may be more familiar with considering where we are from aside, social media and forums like this have developed zero tolerance policies for stuff like that which I think is a good thing.

Threatening others is not something that can be ignored. All of the coin forums will ban you for it. Try it with a cop and see how fast they hook you up and take you to jail. It's a crime and should be treated as such. 

Not concerned about it. I knew his type would go there. Impotent threats are the only escalation available to someone who can't use reason and can't communicate. It works in their high school bullying habits and they expect it to work here, which it will not.

After-Action Report

Eighty-six posts spread over three pages in just a week's time.

I don't see the margin here. How was this spirited exchange -- rowdy dowdy, beneficial to anyone.

For the benefit of senior members, you cannot post a comment until you become a member and to become a member, you have to pay your dues.  I fail to see how a member got his money' worth by purchasing a mystery roll of presumably unsearched coins (of different denominations and sizes + a gold-plated coin) all together of which set him back a significant amount of money. Then he lapsed into using street language as his command of the English language was poor. Who won?  Who lost? Truly sad.  I do hope he is going to be unable to fill out a submission form.  That would make his foray into coin collecting truly tragic. 🐓 

On 3/5/2024 at 2:42 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Who won?  Who lost?

I don't think anything here had anything to do with winning or losing. Usual "difference of opinion" that is typical in these forums is all.

The only way anything good could come from this thread is if the OP were to have a little more respect and a little more mouth closed, and ears and mind open.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:17 PM, powermad5000 said:

I don't think anything here had anything to do with winning or losing. Usual "difference of opinion" that is typical in these forums is all.

The only way anything good could come from this thread is if the OP were to have a little more respect and a little more mouth closed, and ears and mind open.

Me thinketh you expect too much.  I am just sorry it had to end on such a sour, ultimately unproductive note.