• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery roll from eBay for $20 was it worth it??
1 1

88 posts in this topic

I would say that as long as you are content with the purchase, then no one else's opinion matters...although you did ask for opinions.  Speaking from a numismatic point of view, the gold plated quarter is damaged, because it was plated in gold.  The quarter would be worth more if it were not plated in gold.  The pictures are a bit blurred so it is hard to determine quality of each coin. 

If all coins can be graded at MS65, price guide indicates:

1959d Cent: $0.55

1959d Nickel: $8.00

1987s Dime: $3.00

1978s Quarter: $5.00

$16.55, unfortunately, the gold-plated quarter holds no value beyond face (0.25)

$16.80 Book value, if, and only if all unaltered coins can grade at least MS-65

Not sure about the St. Gauden's coin, did it come with the 20 dollar lot?  Is it authentic?

On 2/28/2024 at 9:58 PM, Youngmoola said:

Huh 😂 u definitely a rookie nothing's wrong with the quarter..

I have to say here from this response in this thread and another you made in a different thread concerning a bicentennial quarter, that coming here to get information and then having these kind of responses to the volunteers here is not good for your case. There is something wrong with the quarter. It IS damaged. It would not be encapsulated by a TPG.

I will tell you, I am not inclined to help you in the future with these type of responses.

Go to your local coin shop and make friends and spend the $20 on something good. For $10 you could have gotten a proof 1965 set. Or a 1964 proof set for $25. Or you could have at least gotten a bunch of junk silver dimes. Those will always be worth money. Though the first time I walked into the one I go they made a joke that they didn't have any of those quarters. Going there once a week and buying something they give me some decent deals. $20 will get you a couple good coins.  

On 2/28/2024 at 10:21 PM, cobymordet said:

I would say that as long as you are content with the purchase, then no one else's opinion matters...although you did ask for opinions.  Speaking from a numismatic point of view, the gold plated quarter is damaged, because it was plated in gold.  The quarter would be worth more if it were not plated in gold.  The pictures are a bit blurred so it is hard to determine quality of each coin. 

If all coins can be graded at MS65, price guide indicates:

1959d Cent: $0.55

1959d Nickel: $8.00

1987s Dime: $3.00

1978s Quarter: $5.00

$16.55, unfortunately, the gold-plated quarter holds no value beyond face (0.25)

$16.80 Book value, if, and only if all unaltered coins can grade at least MS-65

Not sure about the St. Gauden's coin, did it come with the 20 dollar lot?  Is it authentic?

No it didn't The St. Gardens coin actually a solid gold coin I invested in from the US Mint..no copy

On 2/29/2024 at 5:38 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Two, most likely, impaired proofs, an altered quarter, and a circulated nickel and cent.... You got hosed. 

It's clear u have no knowledge of coins..thx for yo input but no thx

On 2/29/2024 at 7:55 AM, ldhair said:

From the images the coins look a bit rough. You can do better. 

No it's actually how my camera flashed each coin is certified and in gem proof condition, never been touched

On 2/29/2024 at 7:39 AM, Halbrook Family said:

Go to your local coin shop and make friends and spend the $20 on something good. For $10 you could have gotten a proof 1965 set. Or a 1964 proof set for $25. Or you could have at least gotten a bunch of junk silver dimes. Those will always be worth money. Though the first time I walked into the one I go they made a joke that they didn't have any of those quarters. Going there once a week and buying something they give me some decent deals. $20 will get you a couple good coins.  

Thx for the good advice 💯

On 2/29/2024 at 8:05 AM, Youngmoola said:

No it's actually how my camera flashed each coin is certified and in gem proof condition, never been touched

What are you talking about? None of those are certified. You should stop buying until you know what you are doing. You have been told the truth. I hope you can learn from it before you spend any more money. 

On 2/29/2024 at 7:39 AM, Halbrook Family said:

What is in a 1965 proof set? I can not find it in the price guides.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, e1cnr said:

What is in a 1965 proof set? I can not find it in the price guides.

They did not make a 1965 proof set. 

You should have spent that money on some soap to wash your hands and a manicure for your nasty fingernails. Oh and BTW no one here is fooled by your FAKE St Gaudens coin. You are dealing with people here that have a combined experience in coins equal to HUNDREDS of years. Many people here have well over 50 years of REAL numismatic knowledge and collecting experience. You sound like a fool.

It's mighty funny how u in this profession insulting beginners instead of giving helpful advice..smh..😂🤞🏾 it's proof u are up set n angry with yourself in life...God Bless U 2 🙏🏾

N btw the st gardens coin isn't a copy nor is it the regular coin it's a solid gold jumbo coin I've got from the mint n it weighs 3 ozs.. so understand wat u talking bout before u shoot shots my guy

N btw the st gardens coin isn't a copy nor is it the regular coin it's a solid gold jumbo coin I've got from the mint n it weighs 3 ozs.. so understand wat u talking bout before u shoot shots my guy