• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk about Cancel Culture!..
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I recall a company selling these at the entrance to the Denver ANA. (I think they were supposed to be melted as scrap and not resold to a vendor....but that might be a figment of the altitude -- the convention was on the 2nd floor of the convention center. (I guess that's better then the 2nd floor of the sewage treatment plant.)  ;)

On 2/23/2024 at 1:48 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

This is to complete my Kennedy Half Dollar Set!

Well now you have done it and opened up pandora's box again!  What about all the other varieties needed to "complete" the set.  :whistle: :insane:

On 2/23/2024 at 5:02 PM, EagleRJO said:

Well now you have done it and opened up pandora's box again!  What about all the other varieties needed to "complete" the set.  :whistle: :insane:

Way ahead of you, Eagle, bout a ‘no FG’ version and a broad strike version too.

I have a waffled cancelled Missouri quarter. Not sure why I bought it, but I did. So I understand you making this purchase. When I saw it, for whatever reason, I just had to have it.

Cool pick up for a half dollar one though! (thumbsu

Yea but they are pricey for a worthless coin that can’t be added to a registry.xD

On 2/24/2024 at 9:05 AM, J P M said:

Yes I have seen these and thought about getting one if the price is right.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:20 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

... a ‘no FG’ version

Were you able to find a 1972-D No FG Kennedy at a decent price?  That seems to be the elusive one in good condition, and there are a number of fakes too.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

Were you able to find a 1972-D No FG Kennedy at a decent price?  That seems to be the elusive one in good condition, and there are a number of fakes too.

Yes, I think so.

IMG_8312.jpeg

On 2/24/2024 at 8:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

Eagle was asking you about the 1972 D No FG. The listing you posted Bill is for a 1982 P no FG which is actually pretty easy to get even in decent grades. The 1972 D no FG Eagle was referring to is not even shown in the NGC price guide. It is only shown as one of the varieties for the year and there are no auction results available in NGC to see a price for one of them. I would think you have an uphill battle coming if you want to acquire one of them.

PCGS is showing them in their price guide and they have only graded a total of 51 in uncirculated under the two different varieties they list. They are showing $475 for base uncirculated. I think it will be a pricey one if you want one in good condition.

Edited by powermad5000

On 2/24/2024 at 12:41 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Yes, I think so.

IMG_8312.jpeg

That is one of the "No FG" issues if that's all your looking for and it's legit.

On 2/24/2024 at 1:07 PM, EagleRJO said:

That is one of the "No FG" issues if that's all your looking for and it's legit.

As I am not totally familiar with these @EagleRJO, I did my usual browsing on eBay to see what is on there and for the 1972 D, there were several with faint FG initials. I am sure those do not qualify as the true no FG. I am just wondering if you know any info about these and why there are some with a weak FG. Did the FG get filled with grease on the reverse to create the no FG, or was it just left off the die in error?

How could they know it is "brilliant" ? I can see they could know it's not circulated part. NGC should not have graded it. Or at least left the "brilliant" out of it. How do we know it didn't have a big scratch on the coin? Might as well put a DDO on the grade as well. They should have left it for anacs to grade. 

Maybe they should have put NO FG on the waffle coin. Did it have it? Maybe not. 

The "No FG" varieties for the Kennedy half dollars were from common over polishing of the dies, and something to keep an eye out for when roll hunting.

The big boys will only attribute three (3) No FG Kennedys that are well known (1966 SMS, 1972-D & 1982-P) with no trace of the initials under magnification.

I'm not aware of any partial or weak FG being collectible.  They aren't attributed by the TPGs or included in any registry sets, and I doubt they have any value.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/what-are-no-fg-kennedy-half-dollars-worth

Edited by EagleRJO

I appreciate this info @EagleRJO, and I am sure others reading this thread will find it useful as well. I do have a 1982 P No FG but was unsure of how it came to be. Now I know! (thumbsu

On 2/27/2024 at 11:47 AM, J P M said:

Yes 1982 P was a bad year for FG Just look at this MS 67 +

1982-P 50C (Regular Strike) Kennedy Half Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts

The first 67+ coin on that CoinFacts page is a "No FG" but it's not labeled with that variety.  See this page for the variety ...

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1982-p-50c-no-fg-fs-901/510568

🐓:  Say, how come nobody uses the term Denver mint officials "coined" after the theft back about 18 months?

Q.A. Waffled?

🐓:  No, "kustered."

Q.A.  Beats me.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:04 AM, VKurtB said:

Waffled coins are found at the Waffle House, no?

If not there, then definitely on the back of the menu at IHOP with all the rest of their non pancake offerings.