• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making sure im on the right track on identifying errors to common die wear
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Im just making sure im getting this right the first two are two 2015 p dimes i have. Would they be considered die wear or just a lite strike ? (My guess was die wear/deteriation)

The second two are 1983 p dimes what would they be considered ? At first i thought just normal pocket change wear but two the exact same way and then i took the picture and seen the weird mint mark on the one so i started with die wear and now i dont know. 

I cropped the pics and marked the areas im talking about so there in the way i was guided to do from another post

20240129_152212.jpg

20240129_152639.jpg

20240129_152954.jpg

20240129_153029.jpg

Ok good i  figured that with the first two the second two i thought that to but then kinda thought off center some . Thank you i jist wana be able to spot the nots as wells as the true mistakes 

On 1/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, BLDunn85 said:

Ok good i  figured that with the first two the second two i thought that to but then kinda thought off center some . Thank you i jist wana be able to spot the nots as wells as the true mistakes 

For a strike to be "off center" there must be some portion of the blank planchet showing and it must have the same portion of missing strike on both sides.   Anything that is seen on only one side would be a slightly MAD (misaligned die) or perhaps a tilted hub.   While both of these are technically errors, they fall more into the realm of poor quality control and are so common that they have no value to knowledgeable collectors.

The two 2015-P dimes, which apparently came from the same obverse die, appear to have been struck through foreign matter that adhered to the die, sometimes generically referred to as "grease". Such an anomaly is also sometimes referred to as a "filled die". See generally https://www.error-ref.com/?s=struck+through. This is a longstanding and common issue. I posted a topic about such an issue concerning several 1856 large cents from the same dies. See 1856 Large Cent Mystery - US, World, and Ancient Coins - NGC Coin Collectors Chat Boards. These "strikethroughs" or "filled dies" are usually of little or no interest to serious error collectors and generally command no or at most a small premium. There may be exceptions for extreme or spectacular cases.

The two 1983-P dimes are simply slightly weak strikes that may be due to die wear, slightly misaligned dies or other causes. There is nothing "weird" about the mint marks that I can see. They seem normal for the small "P" punch that was used at that time. I would spend these dimes.

Be careful not to confuse minor errors or quality control issues like the "strikethrough" or "filled die" on the 2015-P dimes with significant mint errors sought by serious collectors.  An introduction to and basic listing of such significant types of errors are provided in "Appendix A" to the Redbook (pp. 440-443 of the 2023 edition). Such errors are very rarely found in pocket change. Most are likely intercepted at counting houses or by bank tellers and sold to coin dealers before entering circulation. The "Redbook" indicates that since 2002 procedures instituted at the mint have prevented most types of these errors from even leaving the mint.

I have been collecting coins and checking change for nearly 53 years. During that time the only mint errors of any significance I have found are a blank cent planchet and two broadstruck quarters, each worth no more than a few dollars each.  I only know of one significant error found in circulation, a struck Lincoln cent that had been overstruck by Jefferson nickel dies that a member of my coin club received in change at a supermarket a few years ago. It has been certified by NGC and is probably worth several hundred dollars.  Such finds are at best a once in a lifetime event.

Thank you all . Yea there in a big jar that will get taken to the bank i was just making sure i had a grasp on whats  normal machine wear and whats an actual one . Im not in it to make money im in it to find cool coins and to spend time with my kids that has nothing to do with games tv etc, and be able to leave them with something they can learn with me  and continue with there children and so on. My son makes fun of me because i actually like going through the pennys and filling the coin book where he wants morgan dollars and peace dollars and that one in a million coin and thank you for the links im guna definitely read them to learn more.

On 1/29/2024 at 4:28 PM, BLDunn85 said:

Would they be considered die wear or just a lite strike ? (My guess was die wear/deteriation)

I generally agree with others that the 2015 dimes appear to be the result of a strikethrough possibly combined with misaligned or tilted dies, and that the 1983 dimes appear to be the result of weak strikes possibly combined with slightly misaligned dies and some wear.  But in the future you really should post pics of both sides to be more definitive.

Also, dont confuse these issues with worn or deteriorated dies which result in mushy or fuzzy elements across the entire coin, especially at lower relief elements first, and not just in one particular area.  This is often combined with chips and cracks in the die as they become more worn.  Die wear is a little like coin wear but usually the opposite in terms of how that presents first.

I would like to see both sides of each coin as well, and as such, each coin should be in its own separate thread. What you gave us to work with though I think is good enough to answer your questions.

I am also of the opinion that the 2015's were struck through grease and possibly from a slightly tilted die as well as I note the "cut" in the rim near the L in LIBERTY.

As for the 83's, the Mint in the early 80's was notorious for overusing dies WELL past the point they should have been replaced. Many of the early 80's dimes were not struck very well not because of a weak strike (which did creep in at the very end of die extreme overuse life), but because the dies were already in late stage die deterioration and should have long been replaced.

Most of this is quality control issues. Your 15's might get graded as errors seeing there is quite a bit of the design affected. Your 83's however would not.