• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1856 Large Cent Mystery
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Back in 1996 I bought the coin whose photo appears below this paragraph as a representative of the 1856 "Slanting 5" Braided Hair large cent. I noticed the irregularly shaped depression between the portrait and the eleventh star but didn't think much about it. It occurred to me that it could be a planchet flaw, the result of the coin having been struck through scrap, or post-mint damage. (The reverses of this coin and the others shown in this post are unremarkable.) The coin cost me all of $15.65 and was a decent enough (Ch. VF, though perhaps "cleaned") coin for my old "Library of Coins" album. I assumed that the depression was unique to this particular coin.

1856N13cent1.thumb.jpg.df64085d50666de96c01619ffe09fc8c.jpg

In 2002 I attended a local coin auction that included another 1856 "Slanting 5" large cent, this one having uncirculated or nearly so details but with an unfortunate area of corrosion on the obverse encompassing the left edge of Liberty's coronet and the adjacent stars. I noticed that this coin had a similar, but larger, depression in the same area as the example I already owned. I purchased this coin for $55. I had the idea of showing both of these coins to knowledgeable dealers at coin shows but never got around to it. Here is a photo of the obverse of this second coin:

1856N13cent2.thumb.jpg.72401bf009a9e45e51033dd6f9ab6e36.jpg

I subsequently obtained a copy of Newcomb's United States Copper Cents 1816-1857 and determined that each of these two coins is an example of the N13 die variety. The most distinctive characteristic of the obverse of this variety per Newcomb is "a sharp point [that] slants up from [the] end of [the] bust", which is possibly a misplaced numeral "1", which is visible on both photos. Newcomb's only comment about die states for this variety was that it "[c]omes perfect and with a narrow rim break from over ninth to eleventh stars". Newcomb did not mention a depression near the eleventh star.

More recently, I looked for photos of other examples of the 1856 N13 large cent online. The circulated example illustrated on NGC "VarietyPlus" shows a small but noticeable depression touching and just to the left of the eleventh star and a narrow and shallower depression extending from the left side of the deeper depression near the star. Presumably, this is an early state of the larger depressions on my two coins. Here is the obverse photo of the NGC coin:

1856N13NGCphoto.thumb.jpg.f086e70da3714c20fc53f54fb0dd1901.jpg

PCGS Coinfacts includes in its photos of 1856 N13 large cents a coin (certificate no. 21880447), graded MS 64RB and provenanced to the Col. Steve Ellsworth collection. This piece shows a roundish depression extending from the left side of the eleventh star. It is smaller than those on either of my coins but larger than that on the NGC "VarietyPlus" example. However, Coinfacts also contains images of this variety that have no sign of the depression, one of which (graded MS 63 BN but no certificate number) has the late die state rim break mentioned by Newcomb! The PCGS photos of the obverses of these two coins follow:

211400970PCGSN13.thumb.jpg.501bc95cadc7afe9019e779f2cddda19.jpg

41475536_208128521_Max.thumb.jpg.e48e42a5a8c559a5375adccb92c7ec3a.jpg

A mint caused depression on the surface of the coin would be caused by something raised above the surface of the die. Such a depression could be caused by foreign matter (such as a sliver of scrap metal) lying on the die or planchet resulting in a "strikethrough" or by a bulge in the die. However, a "strikethrough" would likely only appear on a single coin or a few coins; and a bulge in the die, although it could get larger as the die wore, presumably wouldn't disappear as the die became more worn and developed a rim break.

I am at a loss to explain the appearance, growth and disappearance of the depression on 1856 N13 large cents. Does anyone have a large cent reference that explains or even notes this depression? Do any of you have possible explanations to offer or photos of additional pertinent examples to post?

I don't have anything of an evidentiary nature to add, but I feel these irregularities -- a numeral that can't stand up on its own and shallow graves, pardon "depressions -- along with unwieldy size and weight, provided the impetus for something smaller and simpler... like the Flying Eagle cent.  "Matter o' fact, where's Percival? See if he's got that pattern yet. It's time we think big -- and go small." You get the drift...  🤣

Perhaps Sandon, however extremely rare a find, We are seeing the coins are from the same Die run of a strikethrough that went from large to small to not at all. I have found modern die cracks and strikes stages roll hunting 

JPM seems to be on the most probable track, except the material struck to the die, but was soft enough to change shape and deteriorate until it vanished. A small fragment of wood or charcoal could do this, while not marring the die surface.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:44 PM, Sandon said:

Back in 1996 I bought the coin whose photo appears below this paragraph as a representative of the 1856 "Slanting 5" Braided Hair large cent. I noticed the irregularly shaped depression between the portrait and the eleventh star but didn't think much about it. It occurred to me that it could be a planchet flaw, the result of the coin having been struck through scrap, or post-mint damage. (The reverses of this coin and the others shown in this post are unremarkable.) The coin cost me all of $15.65 and was a decent enough (Ch. VF, though perhaps "cleaned") coin for my old "Library of Coins" album. I assumed that the depression was unique to this particular coin.

1856N13cent1.thumb.jpg.df64085d50666de96c01619ffe09fc8c.jpg

In 2002 I attended a local coin auction that included another 1856 "Slanting 5" large cent, this one having uncirculated or nearly so details but with an unfortunate area of corrosion on the obverse encompassing the left edge of Liberty's coronet and the adjacent stars. I noticed that this coin had a similar, but larger, depression in the same area as the example I already owned. I purchased this coin for $55. I had the idea of showing both of these coins to knowledgeable dealers at coin shows but never got around to it. Here is a photo of the obverse of this second coin:

1856N13cent2.thumb.jpg.72401bf009a9e45e51033dd6f9ab6e36.jpg

I subsequently obtained a copy of Newcomb's United States Copper Cents 1816-1857 and determined that each of these two coins is an example of the N13 die variety. The most distinctive characteristic of the obverse of this variety per Newcomb is "a sharp point [that] slants up from [the] end of [the] bust", which is possibly a misplaced numeral "1", which is visible on both photos. Newcomb's only comment about die states for this variety was that it "[c]omes perfect and with a narrow rim break from over ninth to eleventh stars". Newcomb did not mention a depression near the eleventh star.

More recently, I looked for photos of other examples of the 1856 N13 large cent online. The circulated example illustrated on NGC "VarietyPlus" shows a small but noticeable depression touching and just to the left of the eleventh star and a narrow and shallower depression extending from the left side of the deeper depression near the star. Presumably, this is an early state of the larger depressions on my two coins. Here is the obverse photo of the NGC coin:

1856N13NGCphoto.thumb.jpg.f086e70da3714c20fc53f54fb0dd1901.jpg

PCGS Coinfacts includes in its photos of 1856 N13 large cents a coin (certificate no. 21880447), graded MS 64RB and provenanced to the Col. Steve Ellsworth collection. This piece shows a roundish depression extending from the left side of the eleventh star. It is smaller than those on either of my coins but larger than that on the NGC "VarietyPlus" example. However, Coinfacts also contains images of this variety that have no sign of the depression, one of which (graded MS 63 BN but no certificate number) has the late die state rim break mentioned by Newcomb! The PCGS photos of the obverses of these two coins follow:

211400970PCGSN13.thumb.jpg.501bc95cadc7afe9019e779f2cddda19.jpg

41475536_208128521_Max.thumb.jpg.e48e42a5a8c559a5375adccb92c7ec3a.jpg

A mint caused depression on the surface of the coin would be caused by something raised above the surface of the die. Such a depression could be caused by foreign matter (such as a sliver of scrap metal) lying on the die or planchet resulting in a "strikethrough" or by a bulge in the die. However, a "strikethrough" would likely only appear on a single coin or a few coins; and a bulge in the die, although it could get larger as the die wore, presumably wouldn't disappear as the die became more worn and developed a rim break.

I am at a loss to explain the appearance, growth and disappearance of the depression on 1856 N13 large cents. Does anyone have a large cent reference that explains or even notes this depression? Do any of you have possible explanations to offer or photos of additional pertinent examples to post?

...astute observations...im sure others have seen the depression(s) n wondered similar thoughts n most assumed it was a random occurrence, obviously not random after ur research, almost has to have been a die defect of some type that continued eroding??....

On 5/20/2023 at 12:13 PM, zadok said:

...astute observations...im sure others have seen the depression(s) n wondered similar thoughts n most assumed it was a random occurrence, obviously not random after ur research, almost has to have been a die defect of some type that continued eroding??....

...or as just mentioned foreign matter that spread n finally came off the die, makes sense since u found examples in later die state without the depressions....