• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home Rolls 2
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2024 at 5:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Rough.

Ya I tried to find one, but they all had too much damage.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:59 PM, edhalbrook said:

I went and got 5 rolls of nickels from the check cashing place just now. Got a 1942 S Silver. Been awhile since I found a silver nickel.Just got a 1947. Both are pretty worn. Been a very long time since I have seen a 2009

2009 is like very hard to find. This 2009 D popped up in one of the home rolls. It's a mess but still a hard to find.

S20240128_0014.jpg

S20240128_0015.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 5:07 PM, J P M said:

Ya I tried to find one, but they all had too much damage.

I would love to watch someone who gets my home rolled coins.  :roflmao:  As I bank at a credit union they require all change to be rolled, so I routinely deposit around $200 - $300 each month, but those rolls are guaranteed to be a waste of time for anyone that roll searches. :devil:

On 1/29/2024 at 6:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would love to watch someone who gets my home rolled coins.  :roflmao:  As I bank at a credit union they require all change to be rolled, so I routinely deposit around $200 - $300 each month, but those rolls are guaranteed to be a waste of time for anyone that roll searches. :devil:

I believe that. As I said before I live in a high retirement area so when I see home rolls there is always the chance it was a stash that belonged to a past collector. 

The response by @Coinbuf reminds me of a recent visit to the pizza parlor near me that I have been going to for years, and the same employees have also worked there for years and years. I went to pick up my pizza and got my change from the same guy running the register. While he was fetching my pizza I was standing there inspecting the coins he had just given me. Still looking down, I heard a voice say "Don't bother."

When I looked up, he asked, "You collect coins?" to which I responded, "Yes. For a long time".

He then said, "Don't bother checking anything you get here, because I collect them too and I will have already taken anything good from the drawer."

The place was a little busy at this time so on my way out I told him that next time I am in we will be having a short discussion about coins.

The last of the rolls only gave up a 1964 that did not have the snot beet out of it and a maybe, 1964 Black Beauty. 64 and 58 were the two common years for that mishap. Although there are some others out there. 

S20240130_0004.jpg

S20240130_0005.jpg

S20240130_0001.jpg

S20240130_0003.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 3:00 PM, J P M said:

All the rims are banged up from the coins bouncing off each other for 30 years.

They are really beat to snot and it's a lot more damage than I have ever seen in rolls of coins or expected could occur from just normal handling.  Where did you get rolls that old?

And these discussions of Home Rolls is making me hungry too.  ;)

On 1/30/2024 at 9:53 AM, EagleRJO said:

They are really beat to snot and it's a lot more damage than I have ever seen in rolls of coins or expected could occur from just normal handling.  Where did you get rolls that old?

And these discussions of Home Rolls is making me hungry too.  ;)

There is one old bank I deal with that has the giant walk in safe with all the safety deposit boxes inside. So, this bank gets a lot of walk-in services. Sometimes those boxes get cleaned out.. They always have these sweet rolls every month or so I get a batch to bring home to warm up. Most of the other banks are just the new stuff only. This was the roll that had the toned 1989 Ps with all the smashed rims. The gold tone on the wrapper was the same color as on the coins. To bad those rims were a mess.

Old roll.jpg

On 1/28/2024 at 7:45 PM, J P M said:

2009 is like very hard to find. This 2009 D popped up in one of the home rolls. It's a mess but still a hard to find.

S20240128_0014.jpg

S20240128_0015.jpg

Are they actually hard to find in good condition? Meh wish I kept some that I have seen..

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
added

On 1/30/2024 at 6:43 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Are they actually hard to find in good condition? Meh wish I kept some that I have seen..

Yes they are hard to find in circulation. I am sure you can find some at some coin shops. But not many 

On 1/30/2024 at 6:48 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I saw they were low mintage. :facepalm:

That is what will be the test of their value. I found this one in a shop outside of Charlotte NC.

2009 P Raw.jpg

2009 P Raw Reverse.jpg

On 1/31/2024 at 9:03 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Next time if I come across one in good condition I will keep it this time. lol

Good luck , I roll hunt on an average 200 to 400 nickels a week.  I have only found three in the last two years, and they were not in very good condition. 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:44 AM, J P M said:

Good luck , I roll hunt on an average 200 to 400 nickels a week.  I have only found three in the last two years, and they were not in very good condition. 

Oh wow..now I am kicking myself a bit. I was pretty lucky to find them then just ignorant on saving one.

I didn't consider it only because I don't look for moderns until recently when i hear or see things like that. Maybe I should pay closer attention to modern mintages.

I mainly focus on pieces pre-1964  Preferably older than that is what I enjoy the most.

Thanks again and happy hunting!

typo

On 1/31/2024 at 10:14 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Oh wow..now I am kicking myself a bit. I was pretty lucky to find them then just ignorant on saving one.

I didn't consider it only because I don't look for moderns until recently when i hear or see things like that. Maybe I should pay closer attention to modern mintages.

I mainly focus on pieces pre-1964  Preferably older than that is what I enjoy the most.

Thanks again and happy hunting!

Even though it is a low mintage it is not a rare coin, just hard to find . LoL  Now if my 2009 P graded at 67 then it would be a rare coin . 

Edited by J P M

On 1/31/2024 at 9:18 AM, J P M said:

Now if my 2009 P graded at 67 then it would be a rare coin . 

Make a nice top pop im pretty sure. I would be happy with a MS 66FS or even MS 65FS if i found it roll hunting still nice for a modern and free other than the effort xD

typo

On 1/31/2024 at 10:41 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Make a nice top pop im pretty sure. I would be happy with a MS 66FS or even MS 65FS if i found it roll hunting still nice for a modern and free other than the effort xD

In that coin 66 is a top pop, there are no 67 at NGC

On 1/31/2024 at 9:57 AM, J P M said:

In that coin 66 is a top pop, there are no 67 at NGC

That's what I was meaning it would be finest and new top pop if found. My terminology could be off I apologize but you get the gist of it :grin: that would be an amazing find.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:28 PM, J P M said:

I may get a nice one out of 40

S20240128_0011.jpg

S20240128_0012.jpg

JPM 

I got a nickel for your set if you want it. A 1999S PCGS PR70DCAM. I noticed you are missing that one. If you message me I'll get it out to you. I accidently bid on two of them. I'm building the proof set. The full set is so expensive.  

Thanks for all your help

Ed