• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Simpson
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I came across this one in a roll from a bank. I believe it may be a slug but before I discard it, I wanted to run it by the experts. I did put a magnet on it and it is steel or zinc. I looked into how the process works in the mint and don't see how one side could be blank.

Love your thoughts on it. Thank you ahead of time.

20240125_065236.jpg

20240124_183110.jpg

20240125_071511.jpg

The Obverse design has been intentionally altered. What you see is the zinc core from the
copper coating being removed. Just a damaged cent but keep it as a novelty if you like.

Since it's significantly under weight it may be 1/2 of a modern magicians coin, with the obverse milled out to insert a milled obverse from another coin.  Still just damage though.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:47 AM, EagleRJO said:

Since it's significantly under weight it may be 1/2 of a modern magicians coin, with the obverse milled out to insert a milled obverse from another coin.  Still just damage though.

It amazes me how people spend the time to do stuff like this. Heads on both sides

2000 + 2001Double sided.jpg

On 1/25/2024 at 6:52 AM, J P M said:

It amazes me how people spend the time to do stuff like this. Heads on both sides

2000 + 2001Double sided.jpg

Just smoke and mirrors.  ;)

On 1/25/2024 at 8:47 AM, EagleRJO said:

Since it's significantly under weight it may be 1/2 of a modern magicians coin, with the obverse milled out to insert a milled obverse from another coin.

Here is a video on how the Magician's Coins are made, where it looks like the op's coin may be the first half of that since the rim appears to still be intact on the milled side.

It is just damaged, but still an interesting find.  Is the coin as I described with an intact significantly raised rim on the blank side, where did you find it, and any chance of finding the insert piece.

MagiciansCoinAssembly.thumb.jpg.698df6f9c9d975c7791206d22b55a27b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOXPZ0VKFM

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/25/2024 at 10:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

Oi vey! The evil coin Tube even shows how to make these??? UGH!!!!!

YT does have some good or interesting stuff like vids from the TPGs, industry associations like ANA, and that one on how these magicians coins are made.  It's not like it will allow Vinny Vice Job the Coin Mangler to make one in his mom's basement. (:

The coin does have the raised rim as a normal penny would have. I came across this in a roll of pennies, so I don't have the other piece that may go with it. I really can't see how someone can keep the rim intact, take the inside out, and still have a contour towards the inside. I don't see any cut makes at all on it. It is a very interesting piece to say the least. A few of years ago I did find a two-sided nickel, but I could see where the laser had cut the edge. I still have it of course.😊  Thanks for the video, very interesting. In the video I noticed when he cut out the face there are round marks left on the inside from the knife cut. On my coin, the lines are fine and only horizontal, not touching the rim. Is it still possible cut the insde out like this? 

On 1/26/2024 at 6:05 AM, Kevin Simpson said:

On my coin, the lines are fine and only horizontal, not touching the rim. Is it still possible cut the insde out like this?

That is strange. A mill or lathe would leave circular marks. I think we are seeing the insert already in the coin.