• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I purchased a 1914D $2.5 Indian Head. Should I get it graded?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I would say the value of the coin would warrant the grading and it would also remove any doubt of authenticity. It looks like it may have been in a bezel at one time and that may hurt the grade 

Edited by J P M

It's very difficult to grade gold coins from photos, particularly in a flip, and it just takes one barely visible rub mark to knock a coin with no signs of wear down to AU.  And having been in a bezel could be an issue.

I agree it would be worth getting graded, particularly to authenticate the coin since it's in top counterfeit lists with some very deceptive fakes.  Hopefully you bought the raw coin from a large reputable dealer who will stand behind the purchase it it comes back body bagged.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/gold-quarter-eagles/58/

https://www.ngccoin.com/resources/counterfeit-detection/top/united-states/23/

Edited by EagleRJO

I am with the other opinions that this coin while it appears to be genuine and despite its appearance that it has been previously cleaned, should be submitted for the purposes of determining its authenticity. It's high ranking on the list of counterfeits should be enough that submission would give you the peace of mind at least in that respect.

Did you purchase this from a dealer who stands behind their coins or in a private sale?