• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Coin Find
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, J P M said:

I am not a collector of Canadian coins, but I always like it when I find a nice one in a roll of nickels. They are just so shiny. Not much nickel in them 94.5% steel. 

09 Can.jpg

09 Can Reverse.jpg

That's a nice'n.

I get enough Canadian coins in change that I started a few albums just to do something with them. xD

On 12/30/2023 at 10:32 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

That's a nice'n.

I get enough Canadian coins in change that I started a few albums just to do something with them. xD

We used to see a lot of Canadian change in the 60,70, and 80's when they could cross the border easily to work in New England. Not so much anymore.

On 12/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

That one is in really good shape for its age! Great find there @J P M!

Easier to find than a circulation strike U.S. 2009 five cent piece.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Easier to find than a circulation strike U.S. 2009 five cent piece.

Fully agree on that @VKurtB. I ended up buying the 2009 P + D because they don't just drop in your hand from the cash register or bank. I probably have about a dozen or so Canadian nickels from cash drawer change though.

The interesting thing while on this topic is that technically, Canadian coins should not be accepted by either merchants or banks as they are not US legal tender. They are tender from another country. But, I find they are widely accepted in all denominations. And while I don't think there are significant numbers of them circulating amongst US coinage, I am sure there are enough Canadian coins in US circulation to add up to an tangible dollar amount and if you add in other countries as well such as Mexico, Ireland, Denmark, etc. (I even got two pieces from Somalia in change once), I could only imagine there is quite a bit in dollar amount of foreign currency circulating here in the US.

I have always wondered why this is allowed and generally accepted and why those coins do not get screened out somehow by either banks or merchants. I know I screen them because all foreign currency that gets put into my hand ends up in a currency bag in my drawer.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:40 PM, powermad5000 said:

The interesting thing while on this topic is that technically, Canadian coins should not be accepted by either merchants or banks as they are not US legal tender. They are tender from another country. But, I find they are widely accepted in all denominations. And while I don't think there are significant numbers of them circulating amongst US coinage, I am sure there are enough Canadian coins in US circulation to add up to an tangible dollar amount and if you add in other countries as well such as Mexico, Ireland, Denmark, etc. (I even got two pieces from Somalia in change once), I could only imagine there is quite a bit in dollar amount of foreign currency circulating here in the US.

I have always wondered why this is allowed and generally accepted and why those coins do not get screened out somehow by either banks or merchants. I know I screen them because all foreign currency that gets put into my hand ends up in a currency bag in my drawer.

Almost all these coins have come from roll hunting U.S. coin rolls. I also have some nice washers and other spacers that have been snuck into rolls.

Pickup coins.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 12/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, J P M said:

We used to see a lot of Canadian change in the 60,70, and 80's when they could cross the border easily to work in New England. Not so much anymore.

[One USD = 1.33 CAD.]

On 12/30/2023 at 5:57 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[One USD = 1.33 CAD.]

Upstate New York and border areas of Maine used to often be bi-national in small change through the 60’s and 70’s. The Expo ‘67 trip was a particularly vivid memory. 1¢, 5¢, and 10¢ traded at par. If I recall, starting at 25¢ raised eyebrows. 

On 12/30/2023 at 7:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Upstate New York and border areas of Maine used to often be bi-national in small change through the 60’s and 70’s. The Expo ‘67 trip was a particularly vivid memory. 1¢, 5¢, and 10¢ traded at par. If I recall, starting at 25¢ raised eyebrows. 

In 1975 we lived in Gouverneur NY about 30 miles south of the Saint Lawrance River. My Father-in-law had a country store we all lived and worked in outside of town. We exchanged many a coin and currency and never charged a percentage.  

good find!!!  just over the Christmas break i found a 50 cent Euro i sat t aside until i could have a better time to look at her!!