• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1921 penny Rotated die
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Would this be rotated 20 degrees , if not then what would be the proper rotated degrees. I think I have this coin pretty much centered I hope. 

20231121_162605.jpg

20231121_162659.jpg

I'm going through a big bag of wheaties, 1910 to 1939. Found to really bad corroded 43 Steele's. I don't come across these very often, but had to have them. Having fun and learning in the process. 

20231121_201017.jpg

Rotated dies are not too unusual.  Just FYI, the steel penny is coated with zinc.  You my want to check which pennies have low mint numbers or have a relatively uncommon die variety.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

I get a 23 degree die rotation doing a digital analysis by first centering then rotating the reverse photo provided.  Nice find that NGC would attribute as a mint error as it's greater than a 15 degree die rotation, even those these relatively minor errors are not that desirable to error collectors so it likely wouldn't be worth submitting.

If you are really into collecting rotated die coins i think Wizard Coin Supply sells "Rota Flips" with a booklet explaining the use that also lists all the known significantly rotated dies except for the most recent modern coins.  You can also download a similar image, or look in this forum for one which I recall seeing, and print a number out on a thick clear plastic sheet.

On 11/22/2023 at 1:05 AM, dprince1138 said:

Rotated dies are not too unusual.  Just FYI, the steel penny is coated with zinc.  You my want to check which pennies have low mint numbers or have a relatively uncommon die variety.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POSTER.  He is wrong on everything and hurts the hobby with what he is doing

Thanks everyone, still hunting for those really cool ones. I finally get to kick back and study some coin books and do alot of searching. Fun, fun.

On 11/22/2023 at 5:07 PM, Newenglandrarities said:

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POSTER.  He is wrong on everything and hurts the hobby with what he is doing

Yeah, usually when I'm away for a bit, then come back to the forum I try to catch up reading threads to understand what is happening. He's just gaslighting that's typical to see. Usually if I know which ones they are, I ignore them. Thanks for the heads up.