• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986d ddo penny
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I consider myself a newbie although I've been collecting my coins since 1984.

As I was going through my stash I came across this penny.

I'm hoping someone out there can tell me if I have a double died or otherwise. I hope it's a double died and discovery coin as I can't seem to find another one like it

20231103_223911~2.jpg

20231103_224358~2.jpg

20231103_223919~2.jpg

20231103_224412~2.jpg

Hi SalRos315,

It could also be a matter of split-plating.  When the penny transitioned to more zinc and less copper in 1982, it created a nightmare for the pennies that today still ravage most.  Although your coin is less pronounced than the example below, you can see the effect.  You should see quite a bit of this on pennies from 1983.  I have been inundated with thousands of pennies just like yours.

image.thumb.png.c41db94848a350157b17bcd4dd43748d.png

Fantastic resources can be found in the thread: Basic Resources & Glossary

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/

There are many anomalies that occur through the minting process that are not categorically defined as errors or varieties that I consider to be collateral damage. (gotta break eggs to make omelette)  The resources will illuminate you to some interesting and helpful information that will aid you in your coin hunting.  

So the true DDO condition has to be clear and material, like Sandon's coin's "LIBERTY" which is clear even to a mediocre grader like me ?

These other conditions -- while unique -- clearly don't have the magnitude of the "doubling" so they're not worth anything -- is that it ?

To the OP, completely disregard @dprince1138's comment. He/she does not know himself/herself what forms of doubling even are. I agree with @Sandon that I cannot say for sure whether there is split plating or a different form of mechanical doubling on the date of your coin without better cropped and more clear photos of your coin. I can say with a high degree of certainty that it is however one of these forms of worthless doubling you are seeing of which hundreds of thousands were produced and it is seen as a lack of quality control as well as an issue the Mint faced when it changed to these copper clad zinc core cents. The surface issues are well known and continued over several decades.

Generally, I do not react to, or see, troll activity, but apparently, emojis are still visible, so I would like to present evidence of my claim of a possible double strike.

"On the other hand, there is mechanical doubling. This type of doubling, which is also known as strike, ejection, shelf or shift doubling, is not the result of the design on the die being doubled. Rather, this type of doubling occurs when the die strikes a planchet. If the die is not properly seated, it can move slightly or bounce during the moment of striking, creating a flat, shelf-like doubling. This effect will be different on all coins struck, so it is technically not a variety, but rather more of a striking error."

Mach_Strike_Doub_lg.jpeg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, dprince1138 said:

Generally, I do not react to, or see, troll activity, but apparently, emojis are still visible, so I would like to present evidence of my claim of a possible double strike.

"On the other hand, there is mechanical doubling. This type of doubling, which is also known as strike, ejection, shelf or shift doubling, is not the result of the design on the die being doubled. Rather, this type of doubling occurs when the die strikes a planchet. If the die is not properly seated, it can move slightly or bounce during the moment of striking, creating a flat, shelf-like doubling. This effect will be different on all coins struck, so it is technically not a variety, but rather more of a striking error."

Mach_Strike_Doub_lg.jpeg

This makes no reference to neither supports your claim of "a double strike coin". You are the only "troll" on this thread. When direct facts refute your statements you revert to playing a victim of said "trolls"which is laughable.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:42 PM, l.cutler said:

@dprince1138  You seem to be confusing double strike and strike doubling, two totally different things.  A double strike is a coin that is actually struck twice, strike doubling is just another term for machine or mechanical doubling.

Yes, I was confusing the 2 terms.

Once, in an Austin, TX, city bowling tournament, I had 32 strikes in 3 games for an 834 series.

In a state PWBA pro-am no-tap bowling tournament, I had 34 strikes in 3 games for an 877 series.

Edited by dprince1138

Hmmm, I guess in bowling you use "doubling strike" for consecutive strikes or "double strike" for pins that may move around when they are struck, like dies sometimes move when a coin is struck.  That's why bowlers who have been in tournaments might confuse double strike with strike doubling, which I think should be "machine doubling" anyway.

We all make mistakes occasionally, and not long ago I remember posting the completely wrong coin.  But I owned the mistake while correcting that, instead of making useless excuses related to some other hobby I had.  This does sound like just another excuse for getting it wrong again, and maybe he should just lurk and learn more for a while.