• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLUS STAR COINS ONLY/ Post any coin, token, medal, with both + * grade (any grade). These can be quite rare. Let's see them!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Post your coins with BOTH plus and star after the numerical grade. Not just plus and not just star BOTH. This grade can be pretty rare and on some coins its a top pop. I don't have any with both but many with one or the other. Lets see them...

Those are impressive dimes for sure. However to call a Plus Star coin rare is pushing it dont you think ? 

Remember that Star coins wre graded long before the Plus option was adopted and many high end Star coins could be regraded

On 10/15/2023 at 9:58 AM, numisport said:

Those are impressive dimes for sure. However to call a Plus Star coin rare is pushing it dont you think ? 

Remember that Star coins wre graded long before the Plus option was adopted and many high end Star coins could be regraded

I said the grade was rare.. not particularly the coins. No its not pushing it. There are far fewer coins with this designation than many others with just one or the other. Even if those coins you mentioned that could be regraded were regraded +* the total number of that designation still would not even come close to the total of star or plus individually designated coins.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:27 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I said the grade was rare.. not particularly the coins. No its not pushing it. There are far fewer coins with this designation than many others with just one or the other. Even if those coins you mentioned that could be regraded were regraded +* the total number of that designation still would not even come close to the total of star or plus individually designated coins.

Yes I'm with you on that. NGC's idea to identify premium coins early on puts it ahead of PCGS in some respects. My point was simply that the idea of rare is used too often with coins. 

On 10/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, numisport said:

Yes I'm with you on that. NGC's idea to identify premium coins early on puts it ahead of PCGS in some respects. My point was simply that the idea of rare is used too often with coins. 

...agree, rare is used far in excess in regards to coins n their grades...scarce would be much more accurate....

My understanding (perception) of the application of the terms rare and scarce -- and the Great z and Numisport may correct me if I am wrong, is the former is commonly used in connection to comparatively low mintages.  An 1909-S-VDB and an 1894-S dime are both rare, in their respective series.  The latter term is generally used in describing a coin's formal grade.  Now, the '09-S-VDB may be rare in terms of numbers, but is not scarce in Mint State grades.  The problem becomes ever the more confounding when terms used by the numismatic community are applied loosely and irresponsibly in cheap ads.  Silver coins and Wheaties are no longer commonly found in change but that anecdotal evidence does not give eBay listers the right to use the terms with free abandon.

(Uh-oh... here comes Sandon with his dictionary...  Time to beat a hasty retreat.... Feel free to BUMP the thread, Mike.)   :roflmao:   (worship)

On 1/22/2024 at 7:37 PM, Henri Charriere said:

My understanding (perception) of the application of the terms rare and scarce -- and the Great z and Numisport may correct me if I am wrong, is the former is commonly used in connection to comparatively low mintages.  An 1909-S-VDB and an 1894-S dime are both rare, in their respective series.  The latter term is generally used in describing a coin's formal grade.  Now, the '09-S-VDB may be rare in terms of numbers, but is not scarce in Mint State grades.  The problem becomes ever the more confounding when terms used by the numismatic community are applied loosely and irresponsibly in cheap ads.  Silver coins and Wheaties are no longer commonly found in change but that anecdotal evidence does not give eBay listers the right to use the terms with free abandon.

(Uh-oh... here comes Sandon with his dictionary...  Time to beat a hasty retreat.... Feel free to BUMP the thread, Mike.)   :roflmao:   (worship)

...so totally wrong doesnt warrant comment nor clarification....

On 1/22/2024 at 7:46 PM, J P M said:

Each coin has it's own merit H.C. you cannot bundle them together like sticks

...u prob dont want to go there, least u spend months just defining what is a "stick"...but ur gist that each coin n for that matter each coin series has its "attainability quotient" is correct, the given examples in the comment that u refer to r not comparable...this thread started out as a cripple n is more about labels than coins...the one salvageable point is that "rare" n "scarce" r relatively comparable terms n can be loosely defined in regard to coins....

On 2/28/2024 at 4:38 PM, lehigh96 said:

T74zwEN.jpg

This coin illustrates a point I would like to emphasize for collectors of all (in this instance) Jefferson nickels, wartime or not. Since it comes so close to being near-Perfect, it can be instructive to collectors in that it exhibits precisely what your nickel should look like. This is a fine example against which all other such nickels can be compared.  If you are a collector of Mint State Jeff's, you understand.  Very valuable topic, Mike!  (thumbsu