• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dryer Coins
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Thanks. I have been wanting to see some coins that have been confirmed by a member to have actually been found in a dryer. You can find pictures labeled as "dryer coins" all over the place, but you never know if the coins were really found in a dryer, or if they were found elsewhere and just given that label.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, Modwriter said:

Nice! A couple of moon cents! Do you have a junk collection? I've just started a junk collection. The worst of the worst.

I just threw them back in the change jug to roll up for Christmas money. Ive just seen dryer coins on here several times. Finding them in my dryer with that damage was a great chance to post them knowing for sure the dryer caused it. May be what tore my dryer up. Hung in there an broke the belt. Maybe not neither. I was very suprised to see how much there was down in the bottom of it. 

On 10/7/2023 at 11:28 PM, Modwriter said:

@EagleRJO do you know the year of the nickel? I can see the 19. The last two digits may be 84?

Per the error-ref.com link I posted it says that's a 1964 nickel, and it does look like a match to me.

1964 5C PCGS.jpg

On 10/7/2023 at 8:53 PM, EagleRJO said:

I would think that the damage caused by commercial dryers with an inner and outer drum heated to much higher temperatures would be different.  And the ones I have seen reported to be from those commercial dryers, including coins from repair persons asking if they were worth anything and also referenced on reputable sites like error-ref.com, do look different.

The coins reported to be from commercial dryers appear to have less individual or deep scratches and have a more "mushy" appearance, like the attached example from error-ref.com.  I am wondering if maybe the coins posted above may have already been scratched, but still something different and interesting.  Where those from a "Parking Lot" collection that you left in your pocket? (:

https://www.error-ref.com/dryer-coins/

However, the part I don't buy is when coins that have edges pushed in like "spooned" coins are suggested to have come from being jammed and squeezed between the inner and outer drums of a commercial dryer.

While it's possible for a coin to occasionally roll around edgewise on these drums, it would be impossible to go from a flatwise position to end up in a vertical position jammed between the drums pushing in on the edges.  It just wouldn't fit to begin with.

727361744_DryerCoin.jpg.f11f18b4b2543bc5d133924873711ed0.jpg

Dryer Coin.jpg

What if the coin were to be on the end, not the side. Would it tumble/roll the edge of the coin to the outer drum?

IMG_3841.jpg

On 10/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, R__Rash said:

What if the coin were to be on the end, not the side. Would it tumble/roll the edge of the coin to the outer drum?

No.  If a coin has a diameter greater than the space between the inner and outer drums it could never get in a vertical position, no matter where it is.  It's physically impossible since it just wont fit in the smaller space.  That's why it's just not possible for a "dryer coin" to have edges mashed in like a "spooned" coin.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, RWB said:

EagleRJO's Illustration somewhat resembles an upsetting mill used by mints to add a proto-rim to blanks.

Only if it could be gradually jammed into a smaller space, which it cant with a commercial dryer that has a fixed space between the drums.  In the upsetting machine the space starts out greater than the diameter and is reduced to press in the edges and create a rim.

The following is from the mint's webpage on "Coin Production":

Upsetting means to “upset” the edge of a coin to create a raised rim. The upsetting mill feeds the blanks into a groove slightly narrower than its diameter. This pushes the metal up around the edge to form a rim. The rim protects the final coin from wear and makes it stackable.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, EagleRJO said:

No.  If a coin has a diameter greater than the space between the inner and outer drums it could never get in a vertical position, no matter where it is.  It's physically impossible since it just wont fit in the smaller space.  That's why it's just not possible for a "dryer coin" to have edges mashed in like a "spooned" coin.

Only if it could be gradually jammed into a smaller space, which it cant with a commercial dryer that has a fixed space between the drums.  In the upsetting machine the space starts out greater than the diameter and is reduced to press in the edges and create a rim.

The following is from the mint's webpage on "Coin Production":

What do you think @Hoghead515, having just rebuilt your dryer, how many places can a coin come into contact with moving parts after leaving the rotating drum or between stationary and moving. 

Edited by R__Rash

I am not answering for @Hoghead515, but they dryer I have (which is still going strong after 25 years now), had a built in defect from the factory that caused the belt to break. Me being someone who will fix just about anything without calling "a guy" figured out how to take the cabinet apart and get at the inside of the dryer. Inside was a pile of rubber from the belt as it broke down on the faulty engineered-in part inside near the bottom of the cabinet. They used a fixed nylon arm to route the belt around. This fixed arm caused friction on the belt and caused it to fail and break quickly. Happened after two years of use. The replacement kit included an actual pulley that spins (duh engineer that sits at a desk and does not know how to use a Phillips screwdriver). I am sure this built in defect made a ton of money for Kenmore to sell fix it kits and for Sears repairmen to come out and fix the dryer. It only took a half hour to fix.

Onto the dryer guts. From what I remember there is the square cabinet, the round drum, the belt goes around the drum, the pulley, and the belt drive motor (like belts on old cars that drive the alternator, AC, power steering). There is a heating element and blower for pushing the heat into the drum. At the top there is the control section with the wiring for the knobs and timer. There is actually quite a bit of empty space in the cabinet, but there is also the chance that a coin that has worked its way out of the inside of the drum to the inside of the cabinet could wind up getting tossed violently several times on different sides of the rotating drum as well as getting thrown into the belt drive motor and it would be not impossible for it to hit the drive belt and get stuck underneath it giving the coin a fast ride around the drum and violently thrown into the opposite side of the cabinet.

Here is an online diagram of the guts of a typical dryer.

Hi I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis Dryer, model 110.6702600 It

Edited by powermad5000

Interesting! So, adding these to the ones at the top of the thread, with the amount of coins that came out of your dryer, there is all different kinds and level of damage to them. It's not exactly a consistent style or type of damage. Looking at the last quarter just posted, if some random person just post that on here without the pic of the edge, and not knowing if it was a dryer coin, if those on here would be able to explain that kind of damage and get it correct as a dryer coin. The obverse still has the rim, the reverse does not. 

On 10/23/2023 at 12:52 AM, powermad5000 said:

Interesting! So, adding these to the ones at the top of the thread, with the amount of coins that came out of your dryer, there is all different kinds and level of damage to them. It's not exactly a consistent style or type of damage. Looking at the last quarter just posted, if some random person just post that on here without the pic of the edge, and not knowing if it was a dryer coin, if those on here would be able to explain that kind of damage and get it correct as a dryer coin. The obverse still has the rim, the reverse does not. 

I dont know if it its size or what but it took the rim from the quarter and widened it out quite a bit on the dime. Could have been caught in a different area of the dryer also. Im not sure exactly.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:06 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I dont know if it its size or what but it took the rim from the quarter and widened it out quite a bit on the dime. Could have been caught in a different area of the dryer also. Im not sure exactly.

Yes some roll against the barrel and some get caught and spin with the barrel against the coin. it is easy for a coin to flip sideways and roll with the barrel. Just throw some change into those donation tornado holes at the store and watch it roll.