• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new purchase - 14 pieces of seated dimes enclosed variety 106 die crack.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Nice acquisition!

The 1858 O is one I would pay attention to. With a mintage of only 290,000, it is somewhat of a semi-key date and listed at $145 in the price guide for VF. The 1884's with a mintage of 3,365,505 would have to grade out at least MS 60 to get to $145 in the price guide. Same for the 1885 and 1887. I am not sure they would make it to MS.

Hopefully, though, you paid less for these than they are actually worth. Thats one way to start out a set! (thumbsu

A really nice run of dimes! Fun pieces to explore and enjoy. NNP has some new archive documents relating to the New Orleans Mint in the late 1850s. You might check for anything about the "O" mintmarks and coinage for those years. This link will get you started, then look for Entry 11, then pick the year you want.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/Library/Archives?page=2&searchletter=U

It is interesting how many older U.S. coins can be found overseas, many perhaps taken back with them by nineteenth visitors who kept them as souvenirs and immigrants who came to make some money and eventually returned to the "old country", taking their savings with them.

I agree that none of these coins would be worthy of third-party grading, although one of the 1884s, the 1885, and the 1887 appear to grade About Uncirculated, with retail values of around $85-$125.  The 1861 has the "Type I" obverse used on all 1860 coins and apparently a minority of 1861s, though not rare. The 1869 is a somewhat better date (this one XF details with a staple scratch), as is the 1858-O (VF).  Your photos also include a VF or so 1873 "close 3" copper nickel three cent piece, scarcer than the "open 3" variety of that year.   

Nice additions to your collection!  I also think it's interesting that you found a bunch together like that overseas, and hopefully you were able to scoop them as a lot for a good price.