• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dime, uncirculated.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hard to say maybe grease in the die or?  The rim is flat It looks like a hard hit took out the ( IN WE ) I would not send  it in . If it gets graded as a SMS coin a MS 68 is worth $30 . That wont be worth the grade price.

I agree looks like a filled die i wouldn't waste good money on it if i were you.  not unless it is special to you for some reason.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

If you are a new collector who has not acquired sufficient knowledge to determine the likely grade range and value of coins yourself, the last thing you should be thinking about is submitting coins to grading services. Unless a coin has a value of at least several hundred dollars, it makes no financial sense to do so. 

Based on your photos, your 1966 Roosevelt dime, of which well over a billion pieces were minted, appears to have light wear on the high points, but assuming that it would achieve an uncirculated grade would have to be awarded a minimum grade of either MS 68 or MS 67 FT (full torch) to have a retail value anywhere over $100 based on the NGC Price Guide. See Roosevelt Dimes (1946-Date) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com). Coins made for circulation are quite scarce in such grades, and based on the photos yours would clearly not qualify.  The weakness in the motto would tend to reduce the grade and value, as the quality of a coin's strike is an element of its grade. (A minor grease filled die is generally considered an example of poor quality control and not a mint error.)

What books and other resources have you consulted to learn about coins?   

On 10/4/2023 at 11:34 PM, Nithas said:

Hello everybody, I need your help to decide if this coin is worth to grade. Thank you for your help in advance.

Can you explain why you feel it would be worth having this coin graded?   From your photos I see no reason to spend $60+ dollars on this coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/5/2023 at 6:51 AM, Greenstang said:

it would cost $55-60.00 to have that graded

More like $75 to $80 for just that coin including shipping to NGC at around $15 to $20.  Not worth it.

Also to me it looks like a combination of a grease filled die and a post-mint hit on the obverse at 7 o'clock.  The rim looks like it's hit in this area, which does not appear to be an off-center strike or broadstruck.

This would not occur at the coin press since the rim is added with a separate upsetting machine.  Therefore that part would not be a mint error.

Edited by EagleRJO

In another thread not too long ago, there was a discussion involving Roosevelt dimes missing lettering near the rim. I believe the consensus was more towards the dies being severely overused. I don't think this was struck with a grease filled die as I feel more of the lettering and devices would have suffered the same weakness. I am leaning towards this dime being struck from a late stage set of dies that were already heavily overused. IN and WE in the motto seem to be typically the same places on the obverses of these dimes that had either weakness or lettering partially cut off. The photos are not great but especially in the one closeup you can see the lines in the metal flowing outward towards the rim as happens with overused dies.

Beyond all that above which is correct.. this coin is also damaged on the reverse rim 9-12 scratched (badly) It would not straight grade. It would get an AU Details scratched/damaged grade. Value 10c

Edited by Mike Meenderink