• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would this handful of proof coins be worth today?

18 posts in this topic

Thomas Acton was a frequent purchaser of proof coins from the Philadelphia Mint. Here's one of several orders he placed in 1882. (Note that the 8 proof gold dollars had to be struck to order.)

What do you think these would be worth today in PRF-67 or PRF-68 condition? Acton paid $37.94 for all the coins.

18820501Proofcoinorders-Acton.thumb.jpg.245537b6d3c4a4a2c4a96c8405e12928.jpg

Edited by RWB

On 10/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, RWB said:

Thomas Acton was a frequent purchaser of proof coins from the Philadelphia Mint. Here's one of several orders he placed in 1882. (Note that the 8 proof gold dollars had to be struck to order.)

What do you think these would be worth today in PRF-67 or PRF-68 condition? Acton paid $37.94 for all the coins.

18820501Proofcoinorders-Acton.thumb.jpg.245537b6d3c4a4a2c4a96c8405e12928.jpg

$37.64 was paid according to the invoice.   As to worth today I do not follow early 18XX proof coinage or pricing; a big chunk of change I would think.

$37 in 1800 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $901.58 today, an increase of $864.58 over 223 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 1.44% per year between 1800 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 2,336.71%.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:58 PM, robec1347 said:

But, the value of those proof coins would bring multiple value above what today’s purchasing power of $901.58 is. 

Yup this is just a starting point for inflation. You could pretty much get whatever a buyer would pay. I'm sure in high grade they would be well over 3k each or more. IMO

On 10/4/2023 at 1:58 AM, robec1347 said:

But, the value of those proof coins would bring multiple value above what today’s purchasing power of $901.58 is. 

I don't believe $901 in 2023 is worth the same as $37 in 1882 either.  Depends how it's measured.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:17 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

google it

I wasn't questioning your Google search. I'm questioning the accuracy of whoever posted it on Google.

I don't believe it's possible to measure this accurately due to lack of data, accuracy of available data, and the methodology used, probably the USG if this was the source.

$900 isn't "squat" today or in the recent past while $37 was decent money back then since it was close to two DE.

Not trying to derail this thread.  We can start another one if anyone wants to discuss it further.

The question was what is the approximate value of the coins today, not the purchasing power of $37.94. The inflation or purchasing power calculation is of no value: nothing from 1882 has a modern equivalent - except in name only.

(A laborer at the Philadelphia Mint was paid about $1.75 per day. A machinist, about $2.75 per day. Laborers/workmen lived predominantly hand-to-mouth; trained employees did a little better. At 24 work days per month, the laborer took home $42.00 and the machinist $66.00. Thomas C. Acton, Assistant U.S. Treasurer in New York City was paid $8,000.00 per year or $667.00 per month. He was among the highest ranking Treasury officials.)

On 10/4/2023 at 1:52 PM, RWB said:

The question was what is the approximate value of the coins today, not the purchasing power of $37.94. The inflation or purchasing power calculation is of no value: nothing from 1882 has a modern equivalent - except in name only.

(A laborer at the Philadelphia Mint was paid about $1.75 per day. A machinist, about $2.75 per day. Laborers/workmen lived predominantly hand-to-mouth; trained employees did a little better. At 24 work days per month, the laborer took home $42.00 and the machinist $66.00. Thomas C. Acton, Assistant U.S. Treasurer in New York City was paid $8,000.00 per year or $667.00 per month. He was among the highest ranking Treasury officials.)

$827,220

On 10/5/2023 at 6:29 PM, Conder101 said:

The letter says the 8 proof gold dollars were on hand, the other coins had to be struck "to order".

Yep. I got it backwards....silly mistake. Glad you caught it. :)

I had the pleasure of looking at some nice gold dollars a couple of weeks ago for a gentleman . This was one of the nicer ones . I asked if I could take a picture to post here. This sure is a looker. I hope you don't mind this post Roger I thought you might like it...

1873.jpg

1873 Reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

Very nice AU coin. Most of these went into jewelry, especially in England where there was no gold coin of comparable size.

Very upbeat thread, but I cannot help but feel there is at least one member -- likely still airborne, who would reserve judgment until he had had an opportunity to examine these "handful of proof coins" personally -- in hand.  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Usual die-polishing.