• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barcode will not scan
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, what shows when you scan the barcode?   And are you using a smart phone to scan it?   Were you expecting to be taken to the NGC website when you scan it?

Edited by Coinbuf

Nothing shows up it just acts like it doesn't see a barcode. Yes I'm using a Samsung galaxy. I had another person with the app try to scan it with no success. Was just expecting the verification page to show up. 

Try covering the label so only the barcode shows. Your "smart phone" might be confused by the background logo. It should scan OK even if only a thin band of the code is readable.

Thank you coinbuf. That makes me feel better, and I agree the coin would be better off in a newer holder to view the lettering. Rwb, I did try to cover the barcode with a white piece of paper and scanned with a newer iPhone just now with no success. Maybe I will try taking it to an upcoming show to explore my options. Thank you both.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I have been collecting coins for over fifty years. I have never attempted to scan the barcode on a grading service holder and have never heard of anyone doing so before. We generally use the grading services' certificate verification applications to make sure that the serial number on the holder corresponds to the description on the label. It is possible that the barcode on this somewhat older (c.2001-08) NGC holder was for internal use and requires special equipment or software to scan. (The newest NGC holder that was just introduced and newer PCGS holders contain a chip designed to be scanned.)  You may wish to post this inquiry on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum for a response from the NGC staff.

If you are concerned about the NGC holder being counterfeit or tampered with and the coin it contains being counterfeit or overgraded, your best defense is to acquire your own basic knowledge of authentication and grading. Based on what I can see from the photos, this appears to be a genuine late date lettered edge Capped Bust half dollar that has been reasonably graded XF 40 by grading service standards. 

What print and online resources have you consulted to learn about coins?   

I get some hinky feelings about the holder but nothing I can put my finger on.  I can't find anything definite I can point to that says the holder is definitely bad.  But the early fake holder barcodes would not scan  (That fact that entering the serial number works doesn't mean anything.  And that is why NGC went to posting images of every coin slabbed.), and I think the coin is a little overgraded.

Edited by Conder101