• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double and triple stamped dime
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I saw a graded triple stamp dime within my budget and I was wondering should I buy it for $3,000.00

My goal is to only collect the rarest coins.

any thoughts?

thanking you in advance for your guidance 

triple stamped dime.jpeg

triplr stamped dime 2.jpeg

Edited by McKenzie West
pictures

The correct terminology would be triple struck, not "stamped." Without photos or information as to the asking price, we can't answer your question about this particular coin, but I will answer in more general terms.

Multiple struck coins are frequently faked by techniques ranging from squeezing genuine coins together in a vice to the multiple striking of outright counterfeits.  Unless you have adequate knowledge of the minting process and in distinguishing genuine from fake pieces, you should not even consider buying such a coin unless it has been duly authenticated and encapsulated in the holder of a reputable third-party grading service such as NGC, PCGS or ANACS. Even if it is genuine, it is difficult to value such a piece, as no two are alike. The amount knowledgeable error collectors will pay depends on the type of coin, its condition, and how "spectacular" the error is. The 2023 (last year's) "Redbook" lists multiple struck coins by type, with typical values ranging from $40 for copper-plated zinc (1982 or later) Lincoln cent to $5,000 for a silver dollar.

If you are a new collector, you really should first be learning the basics of U.S. coins, such as their history and types; which dates, mints, and major varieties are rare, and how to grade and otherwise evaluate them. Mint errors have traditionally been the specialty of a select group of advanced collectors.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:12 PM, McKenzie West said:

The "rarest" coins would generally be considered to be not mint errors but such pieces as the 1913 Liberty nickel (five struck) or the 1894-S dime (ten or so known to exist out of 24 struck). These sell for millions of dollars each, so very few collectors can even hope to own any of them. You will find much more enjoyment from learning about and collecting more affordable and typical pieces than aiming for such "unicorns".

What books and other resources do you have or consult to learn about coins?

On 9/26/2023 at 6:03 PM, McKenzie West said:

also I do most of my on the internet 

no books …not sure where to start

We have an old expression that goes back to at least the 1950s, BUY THE BOOK BEFORE THE COIN!  Nowadays, this includes online resources as well, but certain print resources, especially the "Redbook", a grading guide, and a subscription to a current price guide, are absolutely essential to anyone who wants to be successful as a coin collector. You should find these two forum topics helpful:

If you want only rare coins that will be MORE valuable in the future then you should be buying coins like the one below...  In MS 61 grade this 3 Legs Buffalo nickel is valued around $3200.00. In 10 years this coin will be worth 4-5k. There are many rare variety and non variety coins to consider beyond modern mint error coins. See below table of rarest coins wanted by collectors and the price value for the highest graded example of each. Some are un attainable. Some are merely expensive. Some are so rare they seem like ghosts in another realm. Good luck.

1909-S VDB Lincoln cent $117,500 (Red)
1943 Copper cent $372,000
1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo nickel $99,875
1893-S Morgan dollar $2,086,875
1895 Morgan dollar (proof) $150,000
1921 High Relief Peace dollar $132,000
1916 Type I Standing Liberty quarter $48,300
1919-D Walking Liberty half dollar $270,250
1856 Flying Eagle cent $172,500
1916-D Mercury dime $207,000 (Full Bands)
1901-S Barber quarter $550,000
1871-CC Seated Liberty dime $270,250
1871-CC Seated Liberty quarter $352,500
1838-O Capped Bust half dollar $763,750
1848 CAL Liberty Head quarter eagle $402,500
1933 Indian Head gold eagle $881,250
1861-S Paquet Reverse Liberty Head double eagle $223,250
1907 High Relief Wire Rim Saint-Gaudens double eagle $660,000
1792 half disme $1,145,625
1652 New England shilling $440,625

d9c31f10-0399-4a1d-a77b-18b0f0a724cc.jpg

b855b947-3533-4358-96a3-6ceee4c91248.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

I very well understand the crazier the error, the higher amount an error collector will pay for such a piece. I looked at a couple triple struck errors (there are not many to view) and all had the reverse intact and triple struck as well, so I am not sure exactly what happened to this coin as the reverse has no detail. I would make every effort to make sure this piece is legit. I do think $3,000 is too much for this. Remember, typically with errors, they are only worth what an error collector will pay for them.

If I was in your shoes, I would give Sullivan Numismatics a call and run this past them and see if they would give you any indication of the value of such a piece. Since they specialize in error coins, if they took a look at it and they weren't willing to spend $3000 on it, then likely it is being offered for too much.

Phone: (931)-797-4888 (Sullivan Numismatics)

Edited by powermad5000

That's a nice error coin, but not worth $3k imo.  Let me guess it's for sale on ebay which often has ridiculous pricing.  It's likely a one-off error but you might find similar comps at various auction sites.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:29 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If you want only rare coins that will be MORE valuable in the future then you should be buying coins like the one below...  In MS 61 grade this 3 Legs Buffalo nickel is valued around $3200.00. In 10 years this coin will be worth 4-5k. There are many rare variety and non variety coins to consider beyond modern mint error coins. See below table of rarest coins wanted by collectors and the price value for the highest graded example of each. Some are un attainable. Some are merely expensive. Some are so rare they seem like ghosts in another realm. Good luck.

1909-S VDB Lincoln cent $117,500 (Red)
1943 Copper cent $372,000
1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo nickel $99,875
1893-S Morgan dollar $2,086,875
1895 Morgan dollar (proof) $150,000
1921 High Relief Peace dollar $132,000
1916 Type I Standing Liberty quarter $48,300
1919-D Walking Liberty half dollar $270,250
1856 Flying Eagle cent $172,500
1916-D Mercury dime $207,000 (Full Bands)
1901-S Barber quarter $550,000
1871-CC Seated Liberty dime $270,250
1871-CC Seated Liberty quarter $352,500
1838-O Capped Bust half dollar $763,750
1848 CAL Liberty Head quarter eagle $402,500
1933 Indian Head gold eagle $881,250
1861-S Paquet Reverse Liberty Head double eagle $223,250
1907 High Relief Wire Rim Saint-Gaudens double eagle $660,000
1792 half disme $1,145,625
1652 New England shilling $440,625

d9c31f10-0399-4a1d-a77b-18b0f0a724cc.jpg

b855b947-3533-4358-96a3-6ceee4c91248.jpg

...while all those coins u listed r very expensive only 2 possibly 3 would be considered truly rare, the rest r "rare" in specific grades n some the finest certified to date...most can be obtained at a fraction of those prices in lower grades, hence census rarity...the 3-legged buff can actually be purchased in the very low hundreds at the lowest grades n certainly not a rare coin, but desirable...like many of the "rare key dates" e.g. 1909-S VDB cent, 1916-D dime, they just arent, but very much hyped as such...the OP can determine relative rarity simply by going to the TPGs certification census listing n see just whats out there that has been certified not counting the uncertified...but ur point that buying "only rare coins" can n will be expensive should be well taken, the OP needs to become informed before jumping off the deep end, he/she should look into possibly starting with very collectible coins in n area that provides interest beyond buying rarity...jmo....

On 9/26/2023 at 8:29 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

See below table of rarest coins wanted by collectors and the price value for the highest graded example of each. Some are un attainable. Some are merely expensive. Some are so rare they seem like ghosts in another realm.

...and where did you acquire this list?

On 9/27/2023 at 6:09 AM, zadok said:

...while all those coins u listed r very expensive only 2 possibly 3 would be considered truly rare, the rest r "rare" in specific grades n some the finest certified to date...most can be obtained at a fraction of those prices in lower grades, hence census rarity...the 3-legged buff can actually be purchased in the very low hundreds at the lowest grades n certainly not a rare coin, but desirable...like many of the "rare key dates" e.g. 1909-S VDB cent, 1916-D dime, they just arent, but very much hyped as such...the OP can determine relative rarity simply by going to the TPGs certification census listing n see just whats out there that has been certified not counting the uncertified...but ur point that buying "only rare coins" can n will be expensive should be well taken, the OP needs to become informed before jumping off the deep end, he/she should look into possibly starting with very collectible coins in n area that provides interest beyond buying rarity...jmo....

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Errors are one-offs, so by definition - they are rare.  However, one needs to think about the popularity of the coin itself, and whether the collector base is strong enough to drive prices higher.  The 3-legged buffalo on the list is a variety that really is not rare at all, but enough collectors want them to drive the price.  

Rarity and price are not always correlated.  In fact, I just made a post yesterday about a counterstamped half cent that is categorically rare (~12 examples exist).  But very few people know or care, so the piece was very affordable for me to pick-up.

The error you posted is a nice example, and I would imagine very collectible with error collectors.  However, error collectors are a smaller, esoteric pool in the hobby.  

Just things for you to consider.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Do your own research Mr. Numismatist of the year. All the coins on that list are last auction prices for the finest grade specimens of each type. You think I just made it up?

So...you can't answer a simple question? Do you know what the auction prices mean, or why they are so high for specific coins?

To reply to EagleRJO, the OP included a "value" that is far out of line with other specimens of similar errors. The list by Menderink is also way out of line because he/she/it refers only to the single, essentially unique, coin for which the auction price is valid, but seems to promote the false idea that lesser examples are equally valuable - or will be.

Edited by RWB

On 9/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, RWB said:

... the OP included a "value" that is far out of line with other specimens of similar errors

I agree the ask price for the error coin does seem way out of line.  And it's really pointless to banter about lists the op didn't ask about.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:12 PM, McKenzie West said:

I saw a graded triple stamp dime within my budget and I was wondering should I buy it for $3,000.00

any thoughts?

thanking you in advance for your guidance 

triple stamped dime.jpeg

triplr stamped dime 2.jpeg

Respectfully, I would not pay the owner of this numismatical nitemare ONE RED CENT -- much less 300,000 cents.

On 9/26/2023 at 5:03 PM, McKenzie West said:

@Sandon

@Greenstang

thanks for responding and for the advise

I added photos 

also I do most of my on the internet 

no books …not sure where to start

The first sign of a dilettante on the loose. Get off the Internet and read books.  

On 10/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, VKurtB said:

The first sign of a dilettante on the loose. Get off the Internet and read books.  

They have this thing on the internet called Kindle and Internet Archive.  :baiting:

On 10/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, EagleRJO said:

They have this thing on the internet called Kindle and Internet Archive.  :baiting:

I don't do Kindle OR Internet Archive. I just returned from France, Scotland, England, and Ireland and brought back BOOKS on their numismatics.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I don't do Kindle OR Internet Archive

Completely off topic, but that's too bad as there is a wealth of information available to numismatists on the internet including those, an ANA digital library. etc.  And there are links to priceless historical mint documents available to read over the internet.

Of course these are difficult to read with just a smartphone.  Maybe one of these days you will get out of the stone age and buy a computer, unless something changed recently, but I'm not holding my breath as you seem pretty set in your ways.  :baiting:

On 10/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I just returned from France, Scotland, England, and Ireland

Also completely off topic, but I assume that at least part of the trip related to looking for some European coins.  Any good finds?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/15/2023 at 3:07 PM, EagleRJO said:

Completely off topic, but that's too bad as there is a wealth of information available to numismatists on the internet including those, an ANA digital library. etc.  And there are links to priceless historical mint documents available to read over the internet.

Of course these are difficult to read with just a smartphone.  Maybe one of these days you will get out of the stone age and buy a computer, unless something changed recently, but I'm not holding my breath as you seem pretty set in your ways.  :baiting:

Also completely off topic, but I assume that at least part of the trip related to looking for some European coins.  Any good finds?

Yes, plenty. Covered in depth on my travel thread.