• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traveling Willburies, nope, Bellmans
1 1

100 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, VKurtB said:

The “soundtrack” of central Paris (stores, taxis) is techno euro trash, which makes me wanna pull my hair out, but I guess it’s better than country or hip hop. Sooooo many two wheeled vehicles, motorized and not. The rugby World Cup is on and international fans are thick as flies. The Monnaie de Paris has issued a commemorative for it. I  snagged a 250th anniversary of Murrican Independence silver piedfort thickness for €117.  

When can we see it ?

A very lovely example. And very well sculptured.  For those unacquainted with French, the legend when translated to English reads:  "The infant is not bold without the aide of the gods." Great stuff!

On 9/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, VKurtB said:

My favorite work of art at the expo COULD BE TITLED: Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s, render unto God that which is God’s.”

IMG_0709.thumb.jpeg.5c195636ed330fe0d93348f2ad4db6b5.jpeg

...is it a specimen striking?....

On 9/21/2023 at 4:11 AM, VKurtB said:

Paris is a f-ing NIGHTMARE. Nobody works or gives a damn about getting anywhere on time. Bad advice from everyone. 

Whatever you do, don't put on a yellow vest and don't buy a T-shirt reading, "Je suis   Charlie Hebdo."  :roflmao:

On 9/20/2023 at 12:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Edge look:

IMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.8bed10430db2e7ac62489554e0f6714f.jpeg

The mark of a tried and tested pro. The coin is in a protective holder but the owner instinctly holds it by its edge. Newbies take note!

On 9/21/2023 at 10:36 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Whatever you do, don't put on a yellow vest and don't buy a T-shirt reading, "Je suis   Charlie Hebdo."  :roflmao:

I have SERIOUS Charlie Hebdo sympathies. They speak my metaphorical language. 

Paris goes completely dysfunctional when it rains. All the motorbikes go away and the taxis are impossible to get. We ended up with an Uber to get to the Eurostar at Gare du Nord. The driver knew a shortcut. We barely made our train. 

On 9/23/2023 at 1:02 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

One of my favorites. Did you tour the distillery?

No, a distillery tour is on the agenda when we get to Inverness. 

On 9/23/2023 at 5:10 AM, VKurtB said:

My favorite acquisition from Edinburgh:

IMG_0774.thumb.jpeg.e827b6d6d72911f1c45126fd2677479f.jpeg

Yes your priorities are in line sir. Will you have to pay duties or will it be gone when you leave ?

I nabbed a gorgeous spotless 1982 British gold half sovereign at a pawn-ish shop today in Edinburgh. 

On 9/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, numisport said:

Yes your priorities are in line sir. Will you have to pay duties or will it be gone when you leave ?

This one will have been consumed by then, but its big brother is the leader in the clubhouse for my duty-free choice. 

50p coins with Charles III on them are circulating. The 50p hit circulation first. So many £ coins are beaten to death. 1p coins are in circulation here, but nothing lower than 10c was seen in France. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/23/2023 at 11:35 AM, VKurtB said:

I nabbed a gorgeous spotless 1982 British gold half sovereign at a pawn-ish shop today in Edinburgh. 

82 is my birth  year. Would love to see a pic of it. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, VKurtB said:

I’m feeling an urge to put on a kilt and paint me face bleu.

image.thumb.jpg.b7a82ab43bdbe36c2fbae69bc8892361.jpg

...just keep in mind it gets windy there...we dont need anymore international incidents....

On 9/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, Hoghead515 said:

82 is my birth  year. Would love to see a pic of it. 

I’ll try after we grab a bit of dinner. Since it’s roughly the size of a U.S. cent, and my phone is not great at close ups, it may be sketchy. It’s 8:02 pm here and we’re famished. 

Edited by VKurtB