• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping first strike GSA data from ANACS to new NGC (GSA?) Holer
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

NGC's policy regarding "crossovers" is as follows: "NGC will not accept CrossOver submissions of coins holdered by companies other than PCGS. These coins may still be submitted to NGC only if they are accompanied by NGC’s Consent to Remove Coin(s) from Holder(s) Form. The coins will be treated by NGC as raw (ungraded) submissions." Coins We Grade | NGC Coin Grading Polices | NGC

I assume that NGC wouldn't retain the ANACS designation of this as a "first strike" coin (whatever that means) or the position in the sequence in which ANACS certified the coin, as NGC would have to take ANACS's word for it.  I'm not sure what the "GSA" sticker is but highly doubt that NGC would affix it to their holder. You could post your question on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum or contact NGC Customer Service.  

Right on.

Having them take it out and regrade it is what I knew they would do.

So, what are we saying about the GSA sticker and the First Strike statement?  NGC's price shows the first strike or day of release as a variety.  Also, the 2015 has a wide/narrow reed thing to it.

So it could still be graded as a variety?  ANACS would/could/should have the CoA to show it is #069 of 700?

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/american-eagles-and-bullion-coins/189/varieties/711086/

It sounds like I should keep it the way it is.

I would leave this coin as is in the holder it is in. I believe NGC will regrade the coin and I know it will not be labelled the same, especially in a numbered sequence. Even if ANACS has that information, NGC has no obligation to honor it. If I am also aware, only the original place that got these coins would have been able to request the label for First Strike or First Day of Issue. As far as I know, submissions to NGC made after the coins were first produced do not qualify to get that put on the label. If I am not mistaken, there is a time limit (actual solid date by) on which the original submitter must adhere to get the coins to NGC from the time when they are first produced in order to qualify for that designation.

Resubmitting this coin as far as I know would cause it to lose everything on the current label. I do not know what the GSA sticker is for as I have not seen that on a slab until now.

The other reason I would keep this coin in the holder it is in is because it will expose it to another round of possible contamination. We have seen several coins on here develop unattractive spotting due to contamination issues. This can still happen with the coin in the ANACS holder it is already in if it was potentially mishandled somewhere in the process, or just due to something in the actual striking process but opening the coin from the ANACS holder exposes it to another round of possible contamination.

On 9/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Nothing wrong with keeping it in the ANACS holder. NGC, PCGS and ANACS are considered by many to be the top three trusted third party grading services. Some have a preference but really they are all reputable professional non partial coin grading services.

Top 3? Yes, you are correct. How many places are relevant? Only 2.