• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couldn't Find Correct Area to Post
1 1

12 posts in this topic

~Coin Photography~

So I have recently purchased a Canon Rebel T7 18-55MM Kit. This came with all the bell's and whistles. Here's what we got.

• Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera
  • EF-S 18-55 IS II Lens
  • Canon Brand Camera Battery & Charger
  • Shoulder Strap

TeeZee Tech Kit:

• 58mm Professional 4 PC HD Macro Close-Up Lenses +1/+2/+4/+10
  • 58mm 0.43x HD Professional Wide Angle Lens with Macro
  • 58mm Pro Series 2.2x HD Telephoto Lens
  • Pro Series HS 3Pc. Digital Filter Set: Ultraviolet Filter, Circular Polarizer Filter, Fluorescent Filter
  • Really Nice Shoulder Camera and Lens Case
  • Rapid Travel Charger
  • Replacement Camera Battery
  • 2, 64Gb Memory Cards
  • 2.0 USB Card Reader
  • Tripod
  • Screen Protectors
  • Table Tripod mount
  • A Few Other Thing's As Well

So yeah, we got quite a lot of stuff that came with our camera. Now, the only really camera that I've had before this was just all my different cell phones over the years  which right now is the iPhone 13 Pro. So don't get me wrong my iPhone takes great photos.. But I just wanted something more. I looked on Facebook market places for people letting go of cameras for cheap and then took to the internet and through some basic searches for beginner DSLR's came across the Canon EOS Rebel lineup. So next we went to the Wal-Mart website, mainly because of the Affirm financing option, and we came across this set. So this is what we decided to buy. I've had this camera for 1 full day now so not long at all and let me tell you, this camera is FAR more advanced than your normal point and press cameras or cell phone cameras! So there's been a lot of YouTube watching on familiarizing myself with this camera and all the settings and how the manual modes work. I'm not just trying to use this camera to snap pretty photos of coins of course so that's why this camera is good for all thing's. But what I would like to know is:

1. Who's taking photos of their coins?
  2.  What setup are you using? (Camera, Lens, light box?)
  3. What settings are you using?
  4. Can you help me? Haha!

So yeah, here I am, Nice camera and a VERY basic knowledge on the camera itself. So Photographers! Please use this new post as a thread to help out new photographers and on how we can take the best photos, without giving away too many trade secrets! Thanks in advance everyone, look forward to talking to you all very soon! 

Happy Hunting ~ TheColoradoNumismatist

For question number one, it would be me. And probably everybody who collects coins...LOL!

After that, I shall step aside and let the real photographers who get deep into this subject come out and shine for us all! I am using a Pixel 6 and I think it tries "too hard" to get a perfect photo. Some of my coin pics almost look "juiced" because of it. My Pixel 3 took much better more natural looking coin photos (and photos in general).

I am just musing, but I would want to think as with any camera (sometimes even the same model could be a little different from camera to camera), you are going to have to put it through its own process of taking a ton of photos with various lighting, lenses, and filters and end up deleting a whole ton of pics before you find the lens and filter and lighting combo that works well for it.

Just throwing all that out there as I am surely no photo pro.

In another life a while ago I was a serious film and then later digital photographic enthusiast, and I took legit classes that made a huge difference and had fun playing with the chemicals to develop and print out the pictures.  Surfing the web and watching vids helped, but there was no substitute for the in-person classes. And I do remember that lighting is hugely important.

Local community colleges typically offer continuing education digital photography classes at a reasonable cost, which is what I would recommend.  Particularly if you're serious about it and considering you loaded up on some good equipment.

@VKurtB may also have some other suggestions, tips or links to helpful websites as he is one of the more knowledgeable photographic enthusiasts on the board.

Edited by EagleRJO

I'm a big fan of Mark's book as well. I grew up teaching film imaging so I had a good start when digital took over. Mark, a nice macro lens and practice, actually lots of practice, made me happy with my images. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:38 AM, RWB said:

Buy a copy of Mark Goodman's book "Numismatic Photography," 2nd edition. After you read it and begin to understand what you're doing, then ask questions.

Kurt and I grew up with film photography and before the days of slabs interfering with lighting, etc.

Correct. But the basic hardware list of the OP is sound.  He should pay serious attention to lighting. As one who disagrees with @RWB on a good many things, his approach of lighting coins as if they were portraits is brilliantly stated.

Also, get familiar with using manual exposure modes on that Canon. I bought the very same camera for my son, because my late father’s kit included some ridiculously cool Canon glass. He spared no expense. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, Coinbuf said:

You could see if your local public library has a copy that you could check out. 

Use interlibrary loan at your local library. Usual cost is about $3. The 2nd edition us updated, but the cameras & lenses are the least thing to consider. Lighting is your enemy, and Mark's book covers that very well.

On 9/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, Coinbuf said:

As an alternative to his book here is a link to an on-line article that Mark published which has some of what is in his book ... LINK

Thanks for that link.  It looks like a good article to spend some time going through.  And I really like they way your coin photographs come out.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:58 AM, Coinbuf said:

Rogers suggestion to get Mark's book is a good one, however, his book is quite out of date with new cameras and technology

I have always been a fan of the approach that if you know absolutely nothing about a topic, to start out by reading an "outdated" book. It will have the "basics" you need to build the foundation of knowledge to be able to branch out into the new things coming out, the building blocks if you will. If you know how the old, basic stuff works, it will be easier to digest the new things and changes that have happened along the way that led a path to the new things. My humble opinion.

If you are trying to teach a child basic addition and subtraction, you don't go out and get them a calculus book.

Edited by powermad5000

On 9/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, VKurtB said:

As one who disagrees with @RWB on a good many things, his approach of lighting coins as if they were portraits is brilliantly stated.

Also, get familiar with using manual exposure modes on that Canon.

Thank you for the advice! I thought the kit was pretty decent myself hence the purchase! Since this post has been made, I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to use Manual Mode on a camera. There is a lot to learn! Especially because there's a lot of factors that have different side affects but can be used to achieve the same results for example, 80% of the different variables that you can mess with in Manual Mode; shutter speed, ISO, etc. directly affect the brightness of the photo. But if you use too much of this or that you get this! So it's going to take a lot of tinkering around and just bringing the Camera with me to places I go and get familiarized with a certain setting and be like, well I know for this specific setting (Sunny, bright, landscape, etc.) I like to use these settings. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:58 AM, Coinbuf said:

LINK

You can see examples of Mark's excellent work by clicking on the set links in my sig line, all those photos were done by Mark.   I'll include one in this post as well, this is what you want to emulate with your own photos.

Thank you for your advice too! The LINK provided was a lovely article that I will need to read multiple times and go back and use as a reference so it's earned a spot in my Bookmarks!

On 9/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, ldhair said:

a nice macro lens and practice, actually lots of practice, made me happy with my images. 

I couldn't agree more! I can read article after article and not learn NEAR as much as actually that HANDS ON approach!

On 9/7/2023 at 2:45 PM, powermad5000 said:

If you are trying to teach a child basic addition and subtraction, you don't go out and get them a calculus book.

I understood this very well as I am a father of a set of two year old twins, a four year old, and a six year old... ALL boys too! We just hit the homework stage with our oldest and this statement just hit me right where I could understand.

Thank you ALL! And as always...

Happy Hunting! ~ TheColoradoNumismatist