• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Henning Nickel How to spot
1 1

8 posts in this topic

From what Ive learned about them is during world war 2 time the Mint put the large mint marks on the nickels they made out of silver.  Henning messed up and didnt put those large mint marks on his counterfeits and thats what got him caught. If you find a nickel from that era thats supposed to have a large mint mark on it and it dosent then more than likely its a Hennings nickel. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 9/4/2023 at 10:19 PM, Hoghead515 said:

From what Ive learned about them is during world war 2 time the Mint put the large mint marks on the nickels they made out of silver.  Henning messed up and didnt put those large mint marks on his counterfeits and thats what got him caught. If you find a nickel from that era thats supposed to have a large mint mark on it and it dosent then more than likely its a Hennings nickel. 

Yes but, there are also non-WW2 year Hennings. They are of substandard quality. Therefore, your first sort is to set aside the really crummy looking nickels of the correct years. 

On 9/4/2023 at 11:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes but, there are also non-WW2 year Hennings. They are of substandard quality. Therefore, your first sort is to set aside the really crummy looking nickels of the correct years. 

I couldnt remember all the years he made them. Thanks for adding that. I think I remember seeing where hed been making them for a while but he got caught during the war nickel years. 

On 9/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, edhalbrook said:

None of the Henning Nickels had a mint mark on them right?

I am learning about this too. It appears not as I see no mention of a mintmark on any of the fakes in the things I have been reading about them. All the 44's had either the P, D, or S on the reverse so that was a big oopsie on his part to even make any fakes for that year sans a mintmark.