• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 1976 Bicentennial Quarter error
3 3

29 posts in this topic

Minor die break on a circulated late die state coin, worth only a very tiny bit over face value.   Save it if you like it, spend it, dealers choice.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Coinbuf

Small die cracks or breaks like that are very common and a minor error that's not worth submitting as it's not worth at least a few hundred and not significant enough for the TPG's to even attribute as an error ... NGC Article on Mint Errors

If you are interested in error coins, like those with die cracks, you can find more information on error-ref.com.

Hello and welcome!

I may be classified as a weirdo for this, but I keep every one of these I get in cash register change. I agree with the others that your coin has a die crack. What is interesting about it is whether or not the Mint caught the die that struck your coin and replaced it, or if that segment of the die actually broke off after yours was struck producing a number of these with a cud on them. Even if I did not keep every one of these that I get, I would keep this one to see if later on I can find one that has a cud in the same location.

@Modwriter The coin in the thread is the OP's who didn't include an obverse pic of it. I was just mentioning if I had it that I would be keeping it, albeit separate from the roughly 100 I have in a bag. I keep all the ones I get from cash register change and have done so since I first started collecting. None of the ones in the bag are in super great condition although some are better than others. I did have to purchase one at the CSNS show in silver and I did have it graded. Returned as MS 65. I just wanted one in really nice shape and slabbed to protect it. I cannot explain why those keep my attention...

On 8/23/2023 at 4:40 PM, powermad5000 said:

@Modwriter The coin in the thread is the OP's who didn't include an obverse pic of it. I was just mentioning if I had it that I would be keeping it, albeit separate from the roughly 100 I have in a bag. I keep all the ones I get from cash register change and have done so since I first started collecting. None of the ones in the bag are in super great condition although some are better than others. I did have to purchase one at the CSNS show in silver and I did have it graded. Returned as MS 65. I just wanted one in really nice shape and slabbed to protect it. I cannot explain why those keep my attention...

@powermad5000 do you have the 1976-S or silver proof mint set? I just ordered one from Ebay and I should have it any day now. I did have a graded silver quarter but have since sold it. I don't have a bag of them but have a tube that I put them in. Thanks, MikeH

On 8/23/2023 at 7:00 PM, Modwriter said:

@powermad5000 do you have the 1976-S or silver proof mint set? I just ordered one from Ebay and I should have it any day now. I did have a graded silver quarter but have since sold it. I don't have a bag of them but have a tube that I put them in. Thanks, MikeH

The one I purchased and had graded is a 1976-S Silver. I never really collected proof sets. Only ever had two of them and I sold them two years ago on eBay, a 1968 and a 1972. Once I started collecting higher end coins, honed my grading skills more, and reviewed what I had, I realized the proof sets and modern proofs in general do not hold much value. Considering I had the 1968 proof set for almost 40 years and it still was listed as (I could be off the top of my head wrong) $12 in the price guides, I knew those sets were never going to increase in value in my lifetime, and I needed room in the SDB for slabs, so the proof sets got sold as did many of the proofs I had in cardboard flips.

The Bicentennial Quarter (Drummer Boy's as I call them) just became a "thing" of mine somehow to keep every one that I got no matter what condition it is in. I would say I am attempting to hoard them, but I surely don't have the numbers of them stashed away to call it a hoard.

Edited by powermad5000

I have some 1975 and 1976 proof sets and mint sets I picked up for $5 each. I also saved my 1976 Quarters from pocket change we all thought they would be worth something later but after almost 50 years they are not worth more than a quarter. I have started to give them away to the grand kids for playing games at the arcade. I find that makes them worth more.(thumbsu 

On 8/23/2023 at 8:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

The one I purchased and had graded is a 1976-S Silver. I never really collected proof sets. Only ever had two of them and I sold them two years ago on eBay, a 1968 and a 1972. Once I started collecting higher end coins, honed my grading skills more, and reviewed what I had, I realized the proof sets and modern proofs in general do not hold much value. Considering I had the 1968 proof set for almost 40 years and it still was listed as (I could be off the top of my head wrong) $12 in the price guides, I knew those sets were never going to increase in value in my lifetime, and I needed room in the SDB for slabs, so the proof sets got sold as did many of the proofs I had in cardboard flips.

The Bicentennial Quarter (Drummer Boy's as I call them) just became a "thing" of mine somehow to keep every one that I got no matter what condition it is in. I would say I am attempting to hoard them, but I surely don't have the numbers of them stashed away to call it a hoard.

I do the same thing. Every bicentennial I find in circulation I save. I got 2 rolls of them saved up. I dont know why I do. They arent worth anything other than face value.  I just like to save them.  Im a pack rat. I save all sorts of stuff. lol I actually found a couple in really great shape. I rolled em up in those rolls. Working on another roll. 

Sorry Everyone,That quarter somehow got mixed in with a gallon jar of quarters witch a large portion was the same so i spent a fewwwww hours finding it again. Its ok I can laugh about it now ;) here is the other side. I also seen that some said somthing about weather or not there are other coins showing this crack. I have been wondering the same thing and now that i found it twice I will put it in a case so i dont hafta go hunting a third time.

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1891.JPG

DSCN1841.JPG

DSCN1826.JPG

On 8/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, Uriaha said:

Sorry Everyone,That quarter somehow got mixed in with a gallon jar of quarters witch a large portion was the same so i spent a fewwwww hours finding it again. Its ok I can laugh about it now ;) here is the other side. I also seen that some said somthing about weather or not there are other coins showing this crack. I have been wondering the same thing and now that i found it twice I will put it in a case so i dont hafta go hunting a third time.

DSCN1888.JPG

DSCN1891.JPG

DSCN1841.JPG

DSCN1826.JPG

@Uriaha Thanks  for taking the time to search for this quarter. Now I need to.go through my hoard to see if I have any with this die break. 

On 8/23/2023 at 9:16 PM, Uriaha said:

That would be very cool to see another similar crack . I just pulled out one thats off center. I have prolly used up all my luck for the year.

DSCN1909.JPG

DSCN1904.JPG

Spend it or roll it up and return to your bank.

On 8/24/2023 at 7:55 PM, powermad5000 said:

As will I have to do the same. LOL!

@powermad5000 lol. I checked my Denver Mint drummer boys today. No die breaks. @Uriaha may have something rare and maybe submit it to the Cherry Pickers Guide. I got my 1976-S mint proof set today. Very happy except for the nickel not having clear steps. I have a 1976-D in a 2x2 that has better steps.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:47 PM, Modwriter said:

@Uriaha may have something rare and maybe submit it to the Cherry Pickers Guide.

Individual errors are by definition rare, but not necessarily of interest to collectors.  Damage to coins could be considered rare, as it's almost always specific to an individual coin, but of no added value.

Minor die cracks, like that on the op's coin, are pretty common in general.  They usually add little or no value, unless in an interesting pattern like a "spitting eagle".  How many coins like the op's do you think are in the Cherry Pickers Guide?

On 8/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, EagleRJO said:

Individual errors are by definition rare, but not necessarily of interest to collectors.  Damage to coins could be considered rare, as it's almost always specific to an individual coin, but of no added value.

Minor die cracks, like that on the op's coin, are pretty common in general.  They usually add little or no value, unless in an interesting pattern like a "spitting eagle".  How many coins like the op's do you think are in the Cherry Pickers Guide?

@EagleRJO Thanks for your post. I really don't know how many coins like @Uriaha are in the Cherry Pickers Guide. I do know that the latest edition has been printed or about to be. Do you know if coins like this are listed?

On 8/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, Modwriter said:

I really don't know how many coins like @Uriaha are in the Cherry Pickers Guide

Okay, I was just curious since you were saying to maybe submit that when it seemed like such a common minor error to maybe just toss in a flip if it interested them.

@Uriaha and @Modwriter I have searched through my bag of roughly 150 drummer boy quarters I have obtained from change over all my years of collecting and I was unable to find one with a similar attribute. With a Denver mintage of 860,118,839 quarters, I didn't think I would. And we all don't know when the Mint realized that the particular reverse die making this effect was breaking down and stopped the process to change that die out. 

I did, however, find a (P) and a D in my bag that were in really good shape with nice original surface luster for cash register change (not sure why I threw those two into the bag in the first place), but I pulled those two and put them into some empty slots in one of my few quarter albums so I guess the time I spent to look for a similar quarter to @Uriaha's was not spent in vain.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, powermad5000 said:

@Uriaha and @Modwriter I have searched through my bag of roughly 150 drummer boy quarters I have obtained from change over all my years of collecting and I was unable to find one with a similar attribute. With a Denver mintage of 860,118,839 quarters, I didn't think I would. And we all don't know when the Mint realized that the particular reverse die making this effect was breaking down and stopped the process to change that die out. 

I did, however, find a (P) and a D in my bag that were in really good shape with nice original surface luster for cash register change (not sure why I threw those two into the bag in the first place), but I pulled those two and put them into some empty slots in one of my few quarter albums so I guess the time I spent to look for a similar quarter to @Uriaha's was not spent in vain.

@powermad5000 lol. I thought you were joking about searching your drummer boy bag. @Uriaha and you have the only two known to exist. They are getting harder to find in good condition. @Hoghead515 should search his drummer boy hoard.

On 8/28/2023 at 3:28 AM, Modwriter said:

I thought you were joking about searching your drummer boy bag.

I am always serious when it comes to coins. Now, conversations, that is a different story and I try to interject humor whenever possible.

On 8/28/2023 at 3:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am always serious when it comes to coins. Now, conversations, that is a different story and I try to interject humor whenever possible.

Be careful! A couple of years ago I was suspended for a week from here. I was joking with @Hoghead515 about cleaning his 3 cent pieces in a thread and a lot of members got upset with me. Not too long after that, I got clean and sober. I now know who I can joke with here and who not to joke with.

On 8/28/2023 at 6:40 PM, Modwriter said:

I was joking with @Hoghead515...Not too long after that, I got clean and sober. 

Congratulations! Very well done! I thought I detected a different attitude in your posting.

Edited by Just Bob

On 8/21/2023 at 11:22 PM, powermad5000 said:

I may be classified as a weirdo for this, but I keep every one of these I get in cash register change.

If you are a weirdo then there are an awful lot of you out there.  I've know a lot of people that keep every one they get.

On 8/28/2023 at 3:51 AM, powermad5000 said:

I was unable to find one with a similar attribute. With a Denver mintage of 860,118,839 quarters, I didn't think I would.

Not surprising as they would have used around 1,200 rev dies.

On 8/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, Uriaha said:

Cool. Thank You. Ive never found real die crack b4. I will save. Thank you very much.

Honestly I don’t think it is a cracked die. To me it looks more like what would have been a clipped Planchet but for some reason it didn’t get fully clipped. Just my thought.

That said, if you are interested in selling it you can always look at posting it on eBAY or one of the various groups on Facebook. Some people just have a thing for oddities and while you probably won’t see several thousand dollars (but you never know!!), you could still turn a decent profit. $10, $20, $30… who knows!?! But not bad for a quarter that normally would only get you $.25. 

At the end of the day it’s really up to you. If it was my coin, honestly?!I would keep it just because it’s pretty dang cool and I’ve never seen one with an issue like that. 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:18 PM, NunyaNumis said:

To me it looks more like what would have been a clipped Planchet but for some reason it didn’t get fully clipped.

It's the wrong radius for that, and I don't think a minor die crack like this would go for anywhere near what you're suggesting.  Are those numbers from recent auction sales (not list prices which can often be ridiculous).

P.S. A quick check of ebay sold listings shows other 1976 quarters with minor die cracks go for a few bucks.

Edited by EagleRJO