• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I assume someone sanded down the obverse side, but I want to double check with you all
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I agree it looks like it was sanded or scraped on something.  It's called Post Mint Damage (PMD), and significantly damaged coins are sometimes referred to as "Parking Lot Coins". 😆 

If I had actually found one in a parking lot like that it would be a good candidate for my short set called "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/16/2023 at 2:32 AM, Shygirl2020! said:

I have this coin and another one very similar to it other one less like it was scrapped and more like it might be an error. What do you think?

IMG_0928.jpg.2ae5bedc5458350b93f512e30d2e5d72.jpgIMG_0929.jpg.7be278f628283326cb4d9d95ed863d4c.jpgIimage.jpeg.50f71c060c115f9d499a5d99d0ae5778.jpegimage.jpeg.138fb90ec7236cf856e848532a63db06.jpeg

Just PMD nothing more.

I have this coin and another one very similar to it other one less like it was scrapped and more like it might be an error. What do you think?

IMG_0928.jpg.2ae5bedc5458350b93f512e30d2e5d72.jpgIMG_0929.jpg.7be278f628283326cb4d9d95ed863d4c.jpgIimage.jpeg.50f71c060c115f9d499a5d99d0ae5778.jpegimage.jpeg.138fb90ec7236cf856e848532a63db06.jpeg

They were both badly damaged after they left the mint. PMD. 

Shygirl2020. 
You should really start your own post instead of piggybacking on someone else’s, this only causes confusion

As far as your coins go, there is noway that could have happened during the striking of either coin.  
They are both just damaged and worth face value.

It could be a couple of different things.  I would post cropped pics in focus to a new topic to get some feedback, instead of piggybacking onto another topic where that could confuse things.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, JT2 said:

these look like a belt sander had a field day.

You mean those things they race in hallways?

On 8/16/2023 at 3:47 AM, Greenstang said:

Shygirl2020. 
You should really start your own post instead of piggybacking on someone else’s, this only causes confusion

As far as your coins go, there is noway that could have happened during the striking of either coin.  
They are both just damaged and worth face value.

I posted here because they were similar to the other person's coins. I am new to this and I guess I am not sure about how you are or aren't suppose to respond. I guess now I know. 

thank you!

On 8/16/2023 at 3:34 PM, Shygirl2020! said:

I posted here because they were similar to the other person's coins. I am new to this and I guess I am not sure about how you are or aren't suppose to respond. I guess now I know. 

thank you!

Here's the logic. The longer the thread gets, the harder it is to keep track of which coin one is talking about. Thus, the request of one per thread. It is perfectly fine and normal to start a brand new thread to post a coin and ask questions. And yes, if you have ten coins, and that means posting ten threads, very well.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, Shygirl2020! said:

thank you!

Perfectly normal , we all started once in these forums as well …. As for your coin and OP’s coin both are PMD … 99% of time you find an odd awkward looking modern coin chances are it’s P.M.D …. Most of the “error” coinage or “variety” type of coinage is more in classic coinage era’ (the stuff us hardcore collectors know about and talk about ) books and articles as well as old talks on here been discussed  numerous of times over the years among some long time members on here been beat like a dead horse ! 

now a days we pretty much tell all newbs they got PMD which it is pretty much 99% of time …. You’re far better off getting yourself an coin album and do some roll hunting save all nice coins you find and fill up the album believe me you’ll waste your time chasing a ghost looking for so called modern day Error coins which rarely and say again rarely even exist anymore with modern technology mint uses today … even Double die stuff is not a “true” double die more like die wear most of us collector would happily throw it in the soda machine and buy a cold soda because it ain’t worth a hoot !