• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021-S Proof Set Damaged
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Received my order today of a 2021-S Proof Set from the US Mint and the five coin set part is damaged. The plastic case Is cracked. The US Mint terms for returns is a long drawn out process.

I decided to keep it and order another proof set from another vendor, US  Coin Mart. Should I crack the case and put the coins in 2x2's or just leave them as is? Pic to follow.

On 8/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would follow the suggestion that Bill made.   However if you do not you will want to remove the coins from the damaged holder, if you don't you could end up with an ugly toned coin or two.   I bought this coin in this holder because it was super cheap at the time due to the look.

1879sd-obv4.jpg

Thanks @Coinbuf. I do have some 2x3 slabs and may use them for the five coins.I do need to order the half dollar and dollar inserts.

On 8/15/2023 at 6:35 AM, VKurtB said:

DON'T BUY OLD STOCK FROM THE MINT! THIS IS ALMOST GUARANTEED TO BE WHAT YOU'LL GET! If it's not current year, get it from a dealer.

@VKurtB Thanks for the not buying old stock from the mint info. I just started collecting the clad mint proof sets and working back from 2023.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:35 AM, VKurtB said:

... If it's not current year, get it from a dealer.

I have found MCM and USSQ, as well as ebay and Apmex sometimes, to be a decent source for buying proof sets at a reasonable price.  Also, @Mr.Bill347 put together a huge mint set collection so he may have some other reputable sites to check out.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, EagleRJO said:

I have found MCM and USSQ, as well as ebay and Apmex sometimes, to be a decent source for buying proof sets at a reasonable price.  Also, @Mr.Bill347 put together a huge mint set collection so he may have some other reputable sites to check out.

@EagleRJO Thanks. APMEX did pop up in a search. I ordered a replacement 2021-S Proof Set from MCM.

On 8/15/2023 at 4:22 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Modern coin mart and LCR coin, Littleton coin all have proof sets.

I have found Littleton to be a little bit on the high side with prices in general.

On 8/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, Modwriter said:

APMEX did pop up in a search

I buy alot of bullion and coins from Ampex and have had a good experience with generally competitive prices, although you should price shop a little on sites like MCM, USSQ and LCR for comparison as other reputable dealers sometimes have better prices.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

I bought this coin in this holder because it was super cheap at the time due to the look.

Is the 1879 Morgan coin in the cracked holder damaged, or is the discoloration on the holder?

On 8/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

The tone streak is on the coin not the plastic

That's interesting that the coin was so severely damaged at a crack like that since the holders are not air tight.  Possibly exposed to a moist environment at some point in time?

On 8/15/2023 at 3:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

That's interesting that the coin was so severely damaged at a crack like that since the holders are not air tight.  Possibly exposed to a moist environment at some point in time?

Hard to know, it was like this when I bought it, but a warm moist windowsill is a possibility.   I've seen other examples of coins that look similar to this in other cracked holders, either slabs or mint holders of some type.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

hat he became a very generous grader when he graded and slabbed his own coins

Same reason that Doctor should not work on their family members  then ten to take things a little lightly.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

I actually have several of the old ACG slabs, much like the old ANACS holders I like the compact design

I do as well and i think they are an even match with the big 2 grading companies.  very easy to handle and easy to store.

I ended up purchasing two mint sets today from Ebay. 1976-S and 1982-S. I also tried to bid on a proof set at Heritage but I have moved and my address was not changed in their system. They had several."unkown year" wax packs at auction. I googled the 1936 proof set also and they are being sold in separate non mint coins. I'm wondering if any collectors have the intact 1936 proof set. 

On 8/17/2023 at 1:11 AM, Modwriter said:

I ended up purchasing two mint sets today from Ebay. 1976-S and 1982-S. I also tried to bid on a proof set at Heritage but I have moved and my address was not changed in their system. They had several."unkown year" wax packs at auction. I googled the 1936 proof set also and they are being sold in separate non mint coins. I'm wondering if any collectors have the intact 1936 proof set. 

Modwriter, my sets begin in1954 would like to further back though. That 2021 set was pricey to obtain 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Modwriter, my sets begin in1954 would like to further back though. That 2021 set was pricey to obtain 

Hi @Mr.Bill347 Congratulations for your set collection. I'm just getting started and buying sets as I find them. Yes, the 2021 set me back a fistful of dollars. I put the five coins from that cracked holder into individual 2x3 slabs.Yes, I have noticed that the 1950 and earlier sets are pricey. ~MikeH~

20230822_161659.jpg

On 8/22/2023 at 6:34 PM, Modwriter said:

Hi @Mr.Bill347 Congratulations for your set collection. I'm just getting started and buying sets as I find them. Yes, the 2021 set me back a fistful of dollars. I put the five coins from that cracked holder into individual 2x3 slabs.Yes, I have noticed that the 1950 and earlier sets are pricey. ~MikeH~

20230822_161659.jpg

Whuuuut? There ain't no such a thing as an SMS Proof. Let's get serious. Let's not be making up descriptions that mean nothing.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Whuuuut? There ain't no such a thing as an SMS Proof. Let's get serious. Let's not be making up descriptions that mean nothing.

@VKurtB "Surely you can't be serious." lol. Quote from Airplane the movie. Anyways, thanks for another lesson learned. These slabs come with  non-permanent cardboard labels and I will take the SMS off the new labels.